Childhood obesity

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Childhood obesity

Post by Grandad »

Returning to the obesity theme. This is a picture of me and my younger brother and sister probably 1943/44. A formal photo my mother had taken for my father who was away during the war. No sign of obesity there I think ;)

:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

No obesity there! Lovely picture, my word you and your brother look alike. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely photo of you, brother & sister, I see even at that ages you all look quite tall :) nice & slim :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I remained the tallest Kiya and am recorded as being 6' 2" on my RAF discharge
document.

As we seem to be a little shy on things to talk about I will continue on this thread. I am quite happy to post old family photos on here and, as my sister was 75 a couple of years ago, I made this greetings card which contains a little of my ironic humour. This was May 11 1940, my father was on leave, my sister was born on 14 February 1941.......do the math :lol:

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I never had riding lessons. I was plonked onto a miserable pony at 3 yrs of age and just rode her. I called her "Mombo" after a song that was popular at the time (not that I remember however that is what my parents told me). I think graduated up to Buddy as Welsh pony. He was bigger and had a much smoother gait so I was more and more into actually riding on my own. When I out grew Buddy (who was put to pasture on my Grandfathers farm) I moved up to Scout. 14hands 3" - not a big horse but a horse. He was a roan appaloosa who came off the prairies hence branded. He was a gelding when I got him but barely halter trained. Rushed getting him trained and actually eventually had him doing everything from shaking a hoof to rearing up high on his hind legs. He was great fun and we traveled everywhere in the area. Once in the winter I'd gone way around the entire town. Snow up high and I had to get home before dark. We crossed the creek and fell in through the ice. Somehow he managed to stay on his feet and we crashed out onto the other side but I was suddenly scared spitless that he'd be hurt. Never thought about ME possibly drowning but I was worried about Scout and my saddle being damaged!

@Grandad - you definitely don't look like you're carrying anything extra on you at all and WOW do you and your brother and sister look alike. Strong family resemblance there.

My own theory (and I'm saying this tongue in cheek) is that they kept us all in short pants and skirts so we'd always be cold and keep moving!

I have no idea but I bet, as a child, on a daily basis I walked & ran miles and miles. Not even factoring in the work but I was always on the go and always had great plans with all the friends to be here there and everywhere building a fort or seeing a hurt animal or just going to look at something. We all went all over the place all the time.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad , lovely family photo with your sister to come ;)

Because we are on old family photos I thought I would show this one of my two uncles,

Grandmother and my mother the baby, my mother would have been 100 years old on April 26

th past and being no more than six months old ...making this photo a 100 years old.

I haven't cleaned up this photo at all preferring to keep the old look.

Check my uncles suits and bow ties, my grandmother must have had them dressed up for the

photo 9618
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Fantastic family photo Kiya. I don't have any really old family photos unfortunately.
One thing is clear, the boys would be in short trousers with long socks probably well into their teens.

In my photo my mother would have been 26 years old. I am sure people looked older than their years then, not least because by that age a woman would probably have several children and would certainly not do a job of work.

This was my parents wedding day 20 January 1934. I was born December that year so they didn't hang about. ;) My father was 26 and his mother in the bonnet was 62. Doesn't she look old compared with todays 62 year olds. My mother was just 21, exactly the same age as my wife when we married in 1957.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely photo :) & just look at the styles of these dresses & the bride/bridesmaids flowers ,

they don't make them how they used to :)

Who is the gent in the uniform ?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya, he was my fathers brother and best man. I think he was in the Fusiliers from his tunic collar badges.
My grandmothers maiden name was Julia Manuel. My sister was given her first name and I was given her family name as a second name. It was quite customary to carry on mothers or grandmothers names in the first child.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

He looks real smart in his uniform :)

Talking of names being carried over , my five brothers are all named after my father/mother's brothers

1/ David Mikle

2/ Neil Buchan

3/Peter Spence

4/Charles McKenzie

5/ William George

Their middle names are surnames of both families carried over

I'm between No 3 & 4 , my name put together from my two grandmothers Mary & Maggie =

Marjory with no middle name.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We had something of the same thing re: names on my mothers side. My Grannie: Mary Sinclair Boyd and her sons: Robert Sinclair and Samuel Boyd. My mother got Margaret Hardie (with Hardie being a surname from some past relative).

My middle name Kathleen is my father's mothers first name however they got it wrong in that her name was Kate (which my mother thought was short for Kathleen 'cept it wasn't)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

It is a shame that the younger generation don't do the same even though my daughter 21 years

ago did give her eldest son Kyle the middle name Peter from my father , Kyle was born 3

weeks after from my father's passing .