Rant about Sky Portrait Artist of The Year

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Rant about Sky Portrait Artist of The Year

Post by Mad Dilys »

I love to watch this annual competition and see how the individual portraits take shape, but really the Judges are only fit for lighting my blue touch paper.

Almost invariably there are much better portraits than the ones they finally choose - until today I didn't understand what they use as a standard of excellence. But today the truth was revealed!

One of the Judges justified the winner of the heat thus "At this stage we are looking at the submission and the portrait today and we are thinking about the level of promise that they will bring going forward."

In other words they are choosing pictures with room for improvement - usually very great improvement to make the sitter recognisable! In every episode expert and accomplished painters are ignored and the Judges prove their incompetence every time.

I love watching the skilled artists, so I continue to watch in spite of the Judges.

Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Rant about Sky Portrait Artist of The Year

Post by Horus »

Lots of TV reporters and judges irritate me, there is one lady who does the ‘Any Answers’ part of Radio 4’s ‘Any Questions’ program and she constantly butts in on a really good reply to a previous question with some agenda of her own instead of just letting the person phoning in get on with it. Then we have that awful Kay Burley who interviews politicians like she was in the Gestapo, she never listens and has a real left wing and anti Brexit bias, its as if she is the star of the show and not just the interviewer.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I don't get this program either but it does sound rather interestingly annoying (re: Judges)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

True to form the next episode had diverse and excellent submissions but this time only one was dreary and uninspiring. The subject was a comedienne and prompted the presenter to suggest it had an "air of the Councillor about it" as it was severely formal.

The judges thought it was "outstanding for it's vibrancy".

I did enjoy the rest, some techniques I hadn't seen before and lovely pictures made in four hours that looked like the sitter.
Smile! It confuses people