Two passings unmentioned

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Two passings unmentioned

Post by Grandad »

I have been a little surprised that the recent passing of two significant Americans did not get a mention in these pages.
Firstly Aretha Franklin, The Queen of Soul, who died on the 18th of this month and her funeral will be in Detroit on Friday. Black gospel soul music is a genre that I always enjoyed. Her 'I say a little prayer' was and is still a favourite. RIP Aretha

The second was Senator John McCain who died last Sunday a few days short of his 82nd birthday. He was one of few politicians who could claim to be a military veteran after distinguished and brave service in Vietnam. I know little of his politics but always found him to be a gentle man. RIP John McCain, a true Vet....

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Two passings unmentioned

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I always liked John McCain. He was a Vet and given his military career moved around a lot and once said the longest he ever lived in one spot was when he was a resident of the Hanoi Hilton. He truly engaged with people and was well loved and respected. His funeral is going to be Sunday and he has been on the TV constantly these past couple of days.

The one downside and this is directly at Trump - he and John McCain were not 'friends' to say the least and sadly Trump only flew the flag at the White House at half mast for one day whilst apparently normally it remains at half mast until the funeral. John McCain also ordered prior to his passing that he didn't want Trump at his funeral and his family has reiterated this.

I don't know much about Aretha Franklin at all but did hear on the TV News shortly after her passing that she died with a Will so her estate valued in the multiple multiple millions doesn't have any input from her (via a Will).
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I thought she died intestate (without a will) or is this another typo LLL? :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - sorry was a TYPO on my part. She did NOT have a will........yes she died intestate.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I had the greatest respect for both of them. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

They say you should not die before your parents and at just 82 years you would expect John McCain to follow that rule. But no, his mother Roberta attended his funeral at the age of 106. What a grand, but sad, old lady to lose her son.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

At 106 John McCain's Mom is incredibly spry but how sad always to see your child die before you. That has to be the worst ever.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:At 106 John McCain's Mom is incredibly spry but how sad always to see your child die before you. That has to be the worst ever.

You learn to live with it, as hard as that sounds. You never forget but life goes on.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Another big name in American life has died today at the age of 82 - R.I.P Burt Reynolds.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I loved Burt in the Cannon Ball Run films, but one of my favourites was when he starred with Dolly Parton in the film 'Best Little Whorehouse in Texas' she wrote the song "I will always love you" during her partnership breakup from Porter Wagner, but I always felt she meant it when she sang it to Burt in the film.
RIP Burt :(
phpBB [video]
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I always liked Burt and was surprised to hear of his passing today (because I thought he already had passed!) I liked him in a show where he played one of a group of old men. Can't remember the name of the show but it was funny.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I first saw Burt in Deliverance, once of my favourite films of all time for the banjo sequence. So I thought of him as a "serious" actor and was quite surprised when he became firmly light hearted. He didn't take himself too seriously and I would always watch a film if he was in it. R.I.P. Burt.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Deliverance! brilliant film :up
Did you know that the person playing the 'inbred' was Billy Redden, but he could not play the banjo :ni:
They had a special shirt made for him and a real banjo player put his arms through it to play the tune. ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

No! :sd Horus you've shattered my illusion. What about the other chap whose name I can't remember?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ronnie Cox played the part of Drew Ballinger the guitar player in the movie.
Eric Weissberg and Steve Mandell actually recorded the version you hear played in the film which was dubbed into the film.
To clarify, Redden's hand movements were a poor imitation of real banjo playing (he was chosen only for his looks) so a local guy picked the banjo strings through a false sleeve to get the right movement, then the Weissberg and Mandell recording was dubbed over it. The tune was written by a guy called Smith who had to sue the film company as they used it without his permission.