Third time a charm with Orchids?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Third time a charm with Orchids?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've had two orchids for a couple years now. Based on instruction and suggestion from H I've thinned out the peat moss mix they were potted in and also ended up with proper orchid pots with holes hoping to prompt them to grow. Since going into pots with holes one of them has really started growing aerial roots. Initially I was beside myself thinking those were going to be flower stems but no so they were roots :(

Went for lunch a couple weeks ago with a gf and she has acquired 2 orchids but not being a plant person she gave them to me 'cept we ended up chatting outside and I left without them. Was back this past weekend for dinner with her and her family and she had them sitting on the table for me to take.

So now I've acquire two more orchids. One is quite a bit bigger than the other and the smaller one still has some flowers on it.

This is now my ORCHID Zone with the two NEWly acquired orchids on the RIGHT and my two old ones on the left:

These are the two orchids that I just got

The larger orchid seems quite healthy, dark green, growing aerial roots too

These are what is left of the flowers on the smaller orchid

The first two orchids I ever owned I cut off the flower stems once they finished flowering and while I did leave one node on the stem nothing has ever regenerated. I'm thinking of leaving all the flower stems on these two new orchids.

The two stems on the big orchid are totally finished with flowers and are wired to a metal rod as are the three stems on the smaller one.

Both these newbies came in standard solid side plant pots so I'll have to search out 1 bigger pot with holes and another smaller pot with holes and now that I have four (and now that the daughter has Amazon Prime) I'll probably buy real prepared orchid food.

As we're coming into winter and the days now getting shorter should I be doing anything or just leaving them be for now?

Still plan to leave 'em get stone dry then drench them in the sink and drain them well.

Suggestions?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Third time a charm with Orchids?

Post by Horus »

I have to say LLL that all your ‘Orchids’ look in great condition and I am surprised that they have not yet flowered, but like Grandads bulb, don’t give up. I may be wrong here but your two new ones look like proper Orchids and not the ‘Moth’ orchid type which your others ones are and they are probably harder to grow than Moth Orchids. So long as the conditions are similar you don’t need to change anything throughout the year, just avoid strong sunlight. I am going to suggest that you try a change in your watering regime, by just giving each plant a couple of ice cubes each week placed on the top of the compost instead of the ‘plunge’ watering method and see if things improve.
You do still need to cut the flower stems back to about 1/2” above a flower node to promote new flowering, but you can try leaving the stem longer. I feel awful telling you that the small shoot I told you about in my last orchid post is now a full sheaf of lovely flowers. :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm sure these guys are getting lots of bright yet indirect sunlight however it boils down to if they don't like the spot their in moving them anywhere else will get them less light so they all better "suck it up!" :P :P

There was a lady who lived across the street and down from me. She had 4 or 5 orchids in her front window which faces same direction as my window. I'd see her orchids blooming from time to time unless she was periodically buying all new orchids.

The largest orchid is definitely different than the other two - bigger leaves and just all over bigger and stronger looking. It seems to be actively growing with lots of aerial roots that are looking way healthy. It is in a solid pot but I'm sure I'll find an orchid pot for it (gives me an excuse to go to the thrifts anyway!) soon.

Will also order and get proper orchid food - wasn't too excited to get it for 2 little orchids but now for 4 makes more sense to me. I'll be down in the States again mid-October, have it on my "need to buy" list so will grab some there.

I can try the ice cube idea. Might be better.

With the old orchids H, as per your suggestion, once I loosened up the moss stuff the oldest of the two started sending out aerial roots and appears to be quite actively growing vs just sitting in state (not dying but not growing either) which is what the second orchid is doing. I cut off the stems above the node so am sure SOON it should be throwing out another flower stem.

Am thinking once the last of the flowers are gone off of these I will cut down the stem but will leave 1? 2? 3? nodes and then cut to the middle or leave more stem above a node. Most of the plants like it here There is lots of light and some even quite bright light so it is a curiosity that the orchids haven't yet bloomed but will continue on to see how they go. Just like Grandad's bulb these guys will sit 'til they produce and they all better get it together soon! :P :P :P
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am SUPER DUPER EXCITED as the largest of my orchids is sending out a NEW SHOOT from the top of the flower bract!!! I haven't had this orchid that long (got it from my gf who got it as a gift from her Mom-in-Law) but when the flowers died I cut the flower bract off basically in half just over top of a node. I noticed today that just above this there is a new shoot emerging.

HOPEFULLY this will produce FLOWERS in time!

None of the little guys are moving at all but this bigger one is starting to produce! YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!! Can't wait to FINALLY (after like 2+years) to get a flowering orchid!
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

How exciting! Well done for sticking with it. :up
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The original orchid is about 3 yrs old and showing signs of NOTHING. It is healthy and growing aerial roots but that is it. The second little orchid is now starting to grow aerial roots but basically sitting there. The third little one I cut the flower stalks off higher and it is sitting but I've only had it since about August.

The largest orchid I also got in August and did the same thing with the flower stems. I cut it off really long and now VOILA I see another stem emerging.

IF it takes the larger orchids to flower I might toss the little guys and replace 3 little ones with 2 bigger ones. I'd rather enjoy the flowers than live with 3 & 4 leaf non-flowering little ones.

Am quite excited though that the biggest one is doing SOMETHING!