Dentist

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Dentist

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This past April when I was at the dentist for my annual check up I indicated I had quite a bit of sensitivity in my lower teeth on one side. X-rays were taken and showed nothing so it was determined that my teeth were just sensitive, something was painted on them to decrease sensitivity and I started to brush with Sensodyne which hardens enamel (or something like that) and decreases sensitivity to cold & hot.

For about the last few week from time to time I've noticed this sensitivity coming back 'til this morning when it decided to visit with a vengence. Luckily the dentist was able to see me and after tapping, poking, prodding and x-rays he could see that my one back molar is probably dying.

This particular tooth had lots of cavities to the point of having a crown put on it and now I need a root canal soon as the antibiotics are finished.

I asked him if it wouldn't just make sense to extract it and "geez" he acted like I'd swore at him. "No no no, we can save it" and on and on.

I get it that there have been lots of dental advances but do dentists ever just give up on a tooth and pull it? I've had lots of work done over the years on this tooth - all 'cept a root canal which I'll get now - but when is enough is enough? And would it really be so bad to just pull it?

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Dentist

Post by Mad Dilys »

Seems to be an international attitude of dentists - don't forget that every tooth pulled is a money making opportunity lost. ;) :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yesterday I only had 1 tooth that was reacting to hot (which I know is a sign of an abscess starting) as of last night and all day today I've got two teeth on top that are just aching from all the banging about he did..... :evil: GEEZZZZZ - cause I went in on an emergency this isn't my regular dentist (and isn't going to be) but WOW! So far I've taken 2 ibuprophen and it is still hurting. Rarely take a pill but this sore.........
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I really feel for you, hope it's feeling better by now. :hug:

There are few places that I feel more vulnerable than in a dentist's chair waiting for him/her to start.
Smile! It confuses people
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Really sorry for you LLL, hope its better now?

I had much the same when I was in the UK in 2016 so had to go to an emergency dentist, said it was an exposed nerve & did major filling (I was in the chair well over an hour) & ended up on anti b's. 2 more courses of anti b's in Greece so went to our dentist in Luxor when we got back as infection was back again & he finally removed the darned thing. I went in ready to face an argument about wanting it removed but he showed me the X ray with the infection in the jaw & said it had to come out. Never been so relieved :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm honestly not sure it is one tooth. This Dentist banged on both top and bottom teeth and now I have more pain in the top back tooth (that I wasn't having before) than I was having in the one he says is abscess. Ibuprophen R US right now but all is tolerable. Am taking antibiotics and hope they'll hold everything 'til Tuesday as we're into a long holiday weekend here now.

This lower tooth though is somewhat loose, has had cavity and a Crown so I'm about done with it and see no reason it can't be just pulled out once and for all but trying to get a Dentist to pull a tooth here is like pulling teeth! ;) ;)

Dentist has scheduled 7 units of time. Not sure what that equates to time-wise but am thinking upwards and more than an hour :(
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Oh dear, hope the Ibuprofen & anti b's tide you over.

I think MD is probably right about the reason behind dentists reluctance to remove teeth ;) I think I was just lucky in Egypt, wish I'd had the darned thing out in the UK, would have saved 3 months of intermittent pain.