Face and Body Decoration

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Face and Body Decoration

Post by Mad Dilys »

I really do not understand the current fashion for facial piercings which are either a pellet or a ring that looks as if it has a pellet on it. Nose rings of this type look uncomfortably like something is dripping from the nostrils.

The plain pellet ones singly in cheeks or near the mouth look like spots or bits of adherant food. I find nothing of merit in them at all. I don't admire but I understand a jewel in the nostril to draw attention to a pretty nose - though they seldom are pretty. I am strongly anti piercing and have never had a wish to even have my ears pierced.

As the much bedecked Ozzy Osbourne said to his son "If you want to be unique don't have a tattoo" He could have added "Or a piercing" :up

Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Face and Body Decoration

Post by Grandad »

I am with you MD. I do not like body piercings of any kind. The exception though would be ear lobe piercings. I don't think my wife even possesses any clip on earrings.
As for tattoos, I like a discreet tattoo on a ladies shoulder or ankle but anything larger offends me. Just as people have the right to do as they wish with their own bodies, we also have the right to express an opinion.

I also have my personal views on the current 'fashion' for men of all ages to grow beards. What is that all about? Is it the influence of Muslim men who all wear a beard?

I think that all three; piercings, tattoos and beards represent some sort of weakness or desire to draw attention to themselves. I am happy to say that I have none of the above and am very happy in my unadorned body :lol: :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm not entirely against tattoos, I have seen one or two that were works of art.

Ah, the beard thing! I reckon I know why they do it - any excuse not to shave!

Both my husbands hated shaving and when they got older wore beards. It's grown out of the "daring" fashion at one time, Designer Stubble. Chaps pretty quickly jumped on that trend, which most women hate because it's so abrasive. Growing a beard for charity became the next excuse, but they kept it basically because it was a wonderful fashionable excuse.

Regarding the Muslim Thing, my DH wanted to grow a beard because shaving was very uncomfortable. He was picked on by the police, especially in Cairo if he wore one. However when he got to about 50 and the beard was growing grey he had no problem - it's nicely trimmed and tidy though. Strangely his hair was still black even though his beard was grey. He didnt go bald and grey like his father and siblings. His mother is over 80 and still has naturally black hair just with the scattering of white hairs, but not grey.

I'm afraid the Vet grew a Van Dyke beard in his 60s. It did as much for him as Gary Lineker. Ugh!
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I cannot stand body piercings or tattoos! I had/have 3 holes on each ear but I haven't worn earrings for years, and don't intend to ever again.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think I am probably the only person on the Island who isn't covered in tattoos. Don't have and never will have any.

Tattooing all parts of your body is very fashionable here right now and while the odd tattoo might look nice i.e. a flower on a shoulder or ankle, maybe the look of a bracelet around the bicep on a man but that is about all and even those I'd rather see none.

Henna was made for something so IF you want to decorate yourself up use henna as it, at least, washes off after a few weeks AND you can change the pattern and location. I've been to a few weddings in Trinidad and henna is used extensively there to decorate hands/feet/arms etc and for a wedding with everything else I've liked it - but then it was never meant to last.

I have 3 holes per ear for earrings. I will admit to wearing small studs from time to time in my ears (lately not) but the operative word is small and more as a fashion thing than anything else. Once I put them in they essentially stay there for 24/7 for a few weeks.

Here now-a-days for ears it is a series of plugs that make the hole bigger and bigger. TOTALLY GROSS to me - ugh and yuck and what about the day you no longer want great stretched flaps of skin?

I'm not quite sure what MD is describing though ......the word "pellet" is throwing me but nose rings in general are nothing I like. The oldest daughter had her nose pieced on the side and has a small tiny diamond. Guess I'm used to it but really I don't like it. I do not like the nose RINGS that go underneath your nose and hang down. Always get the feeling I need to pass a hankie.

Lots here are piercing lips, cheeks, eyebrows and most anything they can. They're also by and large all screaming they don't have sufficient income to live yet are adorning themselves and looking (ahem) silly & stupid & gross in the process. Highly doubt you can eat normally when your mouth and lips are full of metal to say nothing of your tongue.

What I don't get is who wants the inconvenience? Who wants to have something stuck in your tongue making you unable to speak clearly? Who wants great flapping earlobes?

Beards have always been worn here. It was a way to cope with the cold saving your facing from freezing when you were logging, mining, fishing but now most not shaving are just too lazy to shave daily although beard sculpting happens with lots of the younger guys. Shaved heads are becoming more and more the norm as well too.

I've never minded a well trimmed beard though. Most of the men working in the bush grow a beard - just a large bushy face of hair which they usually cut once home from their work.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I hate body piercing and tattoo's all are equally gross to me, a small flower for a lady or a single one on a bloke is about acceptible as are ear studs for women, but the rest, just awful. I'm out on beards as I do have sensitive skin and sometimes shaving will give me grief so on occasions I will let it grow to something resembling Jesus in a painting :D . Most say it suits me and I suppose the grey with black flecking passes muster if kept well trimmed, :tk I will add that in all my married life I never ever sported a beard in any form, perhaps I am just getting lazy. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Almost all men here now wear earrings and a man sporting a pony tail is quite normal too. Guess the long hair and pony tail has grown on me in that it is now so common I hardly notice it anymore. I DO notice all the bald guys who grow the ring of hair they pull into a pony tail - that is just 'icky' looking.

I have no problem with a man being bald at all and I actually like it more if they shave their heads entirely vs comb overs and scraggly long hair.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

When I was a student I remember a young chap who was a nice normal boy. No problem, good student and every body's friend suddenly growing his hair to shoulder length. This would have been late 50s and no one else in the town had long hair. He was very cheerful, took no notice of teasing and just got on with his life. We admired his quiet determination. He just became a feature of the town, like the spa which gave the town it's name. Tunbridge Wells. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I used to have my hair so long that it curled up the back of my motorbike helmet, oh happy days ;)
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

When my son was in his early teens he wanted to grow long hair, we agreed as there were no school rules about it, & we figured there would be far bigger issues to worry/argue about! He was the only one in his class with it but gradually all the other boys started growing their's, he then had his cut & all without any rows :lol: He does have some tattoos which I have got used to but no piercings I'm glad to say. Apart from earrings I don't like them I'm afraid & I do have a single piercing in each ear, mainly because I got fed up with losing 1 clip earring ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think most women have pierced ears :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:py I'm not most women! :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I'm sure your not, :D but I can honestly say I cannot think of any of my females friends who do not wear small studs of some description, or used to.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think having pierced ears is much easier and more practical than having to wear clips on earrings so tight your ear goes so numb you can't even tell when an earring falls off.

I get that styles come and go but tattoos last forever! And skin changes as you age so what might look lovely at 20 looks ok at 30 needs covered up by 40 and from 50 on is apt to raise eyes brows and by 60 you can't even identify what it ever was in the first place.

I don't like it when people pierce their baby's ears and shove earrings in. Just bugs me that the child has no choice in the matter as it happened to them way too young.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, I couldn't agree with you more! Having a young child's ears pierced amounts to child abuse to my mind! :xx