How do I prove I am Mad Dilys to the postman?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

How do I prove I am Mad Dilys to the postman?

Post by Mad Dilys »

My daughter sent me a parcel but I couldn't get to the door in time to receive it from the postman. He put a note through the door, mostly in Welsh, or perhaps it just takes up more space? I could collect the parcel tomorrow from the Post Office in the city, but was advised to take proof of identity.

My daughter had, as always addressed it to Mad Dilys. :a40:

Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: How do I prove I am Mad Dilys to the postman?

Post by Grandad »

Difficult one MD. I would ask your daughter to send you a text clarifying the addressee and if she has put her senders address on the parcel, get her to include that in the text. You can then show that to the counter staff AND show a bill or other document from Gas, Electric, Bank etc with your address on.
Shouldn't be a problem then.
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thanks Grandad, actually I finally managed to get to a human at the Post Office helpline and expect a re-delivery sometime on Monday next.

I rang the number to arrange this that was printed on the card the postman left. I sat online for 13 minutes before the line went dead. :vs

I rang the number again and this time only waited 4 mins. However when I tried to give my address verbally, they managed to make the house number 43 every time in spite of it being a 3 digit number very carefully spoken. After several attempts I was offered several options including making a complaint. I was also offered the opportunity to answer a survey which I agreed to.

Fairly quickly I was put through to a human, who arranged for the post to be delivered on Monday. After that I got the survey - the questions required a digital answer and at the very first one after three attempts, a voice announced that my phone appeared to be unconnected?? If I wasn't connected I wouldn't have heard it!

It seems to me that their machine which interacts with the public needs attention. :x
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Glad you finally got a human being :) Just hope you can get to the door in time on Monday. Maybe one of these on the door would help?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I worked in the USA for their Government for more than a decade and have all the paperwork, identity numbers, warts, scars, wounds and PTSD to go with it. When it came time for me to apply for Social Security there they sent me the forms and then advised that part of me being eligible for it was that I had to PROVE "I" actually worked in the USA even though THEY have me IN their computer system and sent me the official gov't letter that it was time for me to apply! Quite a rigamarole!! Fortunately (and I have no idea why I did this) I'd kept all my passports with all the original work VISA stamps so that was one thing in my favour plus an official Gov't letter from the Personnel Offices helped but again what a rigamarole trying having to PROVE something! Good thing they didn't ask me WHO I really was "eh?"

Good you're getting your parcel re-delivered MD!
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

That sounds like bureaucracy gone mad LLL!

Here one of the things I notice is the difficulty of the English tradition of changing from Maiden name to Married name. Because it is not done in France I have to provide birth and marriage certificates for ID for everything, whereas Barry only needs to show his passport. Even then my Carte Vitale (Health Card) took a month longer than his & now I have applied to change my driving licence I am wondering how long that will take. My UK one expires on September, hope they have it through by then!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Fablux - My oldest daughter married a fellow from Quebec here on the west coast and changed her last name to his. After a bit they moved to Quebec onto a military base (he was in the military). She was confronted quite aggressively re: pourquoi aka why do you have a french last name when you're not french? She ended up changing her name back to her maiden name.

She still lives there but it was a custom there she had no idea about here.

And yes re: my Social Security/Pension efforts - it was a totally mind boggling journey down lunatics row! YOU have all my info that YOU send to me saying I'm now eligible for this THEN you tell me I have to prove I actually worked to deserve it? Can't cure stupid!
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

LLL I can sympathise with your daughter, it might have been easier to go back to my maiden name but then none of my UK papers would be right! :(
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

The Postman delivered the parcel this morning and was most amused by my dilemma and walked down the road still chuckling.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - way cool you got your package and gave the Postman a morning chuckle too.