How important is appropriate behaviour.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

How important is appropriate behaviour.

Post by Mad Dilys »

Appropriate behaviour I think covers a very broad canvas.

Because the delicatessen at the back of my house held yet another party until the early hours of this morning I have decided their behaviour is not appropriate. What I wonder would be an appropriate response on my part, bearing in mind that I don't want to have any more of these events nor do I want to waste time contacting authorities etc. :tk

Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: How important is appropriate behaviour.

Post by Horus »

f they are becoming a nuisance then you must resort to using the laws that apply, in your case it would be a violation of unreasonable noise. I would contact the local authority and first of all check if they have a licence that for the premisses and if it comes up for renewal tell them you will object to the renewal on the grounds of noise. Also if it was granted a change of use by the council why were you not consulted regarding any impact it may have had on you and your home. I would insist that they monitor the noise level and times when it happens, they should also provide you with a book to keep a record of any such events that can be used as evidence.

What do your neighbours think of the situation? Can you get up a petition? Surely if they are doing this sort of activity on a business premises they are breaking local by laws regarding usage?
Failing that light a big bonfire at the bottom of your garden with some old rubber tyres on every time they sit outside. ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I had contact with the council last time and they asked to be notified if there was a recurrence within 21 days. Well we are just out of the limit I think. Once upon a time I would have felt driven to get this problem sorted for the good of all, now I have better things on my mind. It's irritating but I don't want it to take over my life.

We were consulted about the change of use from garages to commercial and every one in the area objected on several grounds, not the least being that very limited parking in the area already causes problems, but the council chose to ignore us.

Originally the Deli was expected to be a food outlet, then they asked for a licence to sell craft beers, then proposed monthly "meetings" for members...…….

I think they are trying to operate on the back of permission given to an enterprise nearby which is properly run and very popular. This enterprise is based in an old coaching yard, "which houses permanently a creative community of artists and small artisan businesses such as a micro brewery, coffee roasters ……." to quote a flyer I had recently. They have a weekly Farmer's Market - 9.30am to 1.0pm A monthly Street Food event 4pm to 10pm, a Plant Fair 10am to 4pm and a Vintage Flea market 10am to 4pm. It's all very discrete and well run.

For example on Friday I had a letter from the owners informing of upcoming events and apologising if they had ever caused offence or disturbance. At the same time they advised that on Saturday "there would be a performance by a band which would play 2 slots of 45 minutes between 7pm and 9.30 pm with a pause of 30 mins. This is a one off event and we are not planning to have another live music performance at the yard this year. We obtained permission from the council and were given a temporary licence for this event. ….. Apart from this performance we believe that all the other events taking place at Kings Road Yard will not cause too much inconvenience for the vicinity.....Don't hesitate to contact us if you wish to discuss any of the above." Of course there was no problem, they run a tight ship.

The ex garages behind my house are a world away from the old coaching yard, there was only just enough room for vehicle to enter and leave the garages as it is a pretty tight fit and this outside area has been taken over by one of the units when everyone else is closed for the day for their customers. I think they are chancing their arm until they build up a core of patrons and then they will move to more central, more suitable and much more expensive premises.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

In my opinion they are certainly chancing their arm as is the council, that 21 days is just for them to consider the matter dealt with, so just keep banging in the complaints and even insist that someone visits when these events are taking place. Also if they are a business licensed to ‘sell’ beers then they do not have one to “consume it on the premisses” and the club is in effect a drinking establishment as it forms a part of their business plan to promote sales, they can dress it up all they want, but I would be asking if they have or need a licence to consume alcohol on a business premises and see what they say. I would also tell them that if they have been given one then you will be objecting to its renewal on the grounds of nuisance.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Sorry I didn't answer all your questions Horus.

Regarding neighbours on one side there are no immediate residential properties, on the other there is a short run of 5 houses before the junction. One is for adults needed special care, and the others are short let for students I think, I know the one next door is and she is the only immediate neighbour I've seen, and isn't there all the time. Thus it would be difficult to get up a petition.

I think I will ask the offenders if I can have a party there in August for my daughter's Big Number birthday. Try to find out everything I can from a clients point of view. Softly softly - though to be honest if I was physically able, at 1.30am I would have chained the gates across the only access and damn health and safety. Probably they would phone the police then everyone would know they were partying at that time.

For now, I think I'll tell the council again after I go round and ask how often these events are likely to take place. I have a camera, note pad and pen ready at the window. should they do it again. Hopefully reason will prevail.

Just seen your last post Horus, completely agree. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

In a potter on the internet I found, amongst recommendations for the Deli, what wonderful Birthday Parties they give. Hence the sort of Ad Hoc timing of parties and a party is an event.

The venue is gated, not a public right of way and the main gate is locked every night. In my opinion if an event takes place and the building is shut at a reasonable hour the proprietors are still responsible for the actions of the partygoers, they can't cop out that way. (I'm pretty sure the door remained open at all time for the WCs.)

I shall ask the council what licences have been issued for events and what are the terms of those licences.

End of the day adquate site for delicatessen, not suitable for events on health and safety grounds as well as licensing.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

"Appropriate behaviour" is any behaviour that doesn't wake me up after I've gone to bed which is usually around 11pm-ish. ;)

I wouldn't hesitate to call any and all entities charged with keeping the peace in the wee hours and complaining to Council or any Entity that can stop the noise.

I would reference the people with special needs and/or needing special care. The noise could be upsetting or distressing to them but they can't complain (so I'd be putting that into my concerns too)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I agree with you regarding special needs folk, but from what I've seen I doubt if there is anyone in the house either with the authority or sufficiently interested to get involved. I shall try of course.

When I know who to complain to directly then I'll pop a note through all the doors in our row.