Red Tape and Officialdom

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Red Tape and Officialdom

Post by Grandad »

We often comment about instances in daily life where official decisions do not make sense. LLL's doctors appointment and changes to my eye clinic are recent examples.
My road is a cul de sac and it is fairly narrow at the entrance end. When we came home the other day our taxi was a close fit between cars parked on both sides. Emergency vehicles would probably not get through.
I decided to investigate via the county council if, with some urgency, double yellow lines could be added to one side to maintain good access for larger emergency vehicles.
I found that there is a list of factors taken into account when decisions are taken about additional parking restrictions. None of them mentioned access for emergency vehicles but the most prominent one was the requirement to include data for accidents at the location in question.
So, from that I interpret that we need a house fire to which the appliance could not get access BEFORE the council will consider additional restrictions.
Risk assessments and taking action before incidents occur does not seem to figure in the County Councils deliberations.
I have passed my concern on to the local City Councillor who lives two doors from me but he is as useful as a chocolate teapot so I shall probably have to take it further like the press and local MP.
Nobody seems to have authority these days, to make reasoned decisions, without the support of some committee. I suppose that way nobody is to blame if things don't go right. :xx

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Red Tape and Officialdom

Post by Horus »

Double parking is a pain in the backside, try driving a caravan down some of the roads in the UK, they even park on the corners of junctions and pavements, most people have some off road parking, but many don't use it. My opinion is that if I have to pay to use the road (road Tax) then they should pay to park on it. :vs
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:My opinion is that if I have to pay to use the road (road Tax) then they should pay to park on it. :vs
:up :up :up
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The particularly street I live on has been getting more and more cars parked on both sides which means only 1 car can go in one direction at a time. You have to constantly pull over and move so as to allow everybody to go through.

Yesterday the neighbor came over asking if I knew who had the jeep parked in front of my house as they needed it moved as they couldn't back their trailer into the driveway as there wasn't enough room to pull forward and backward and unhitch their truck.

We talked about how the street was filling up with cars and the neighbor noted that the woodlot up the street that the City cut down last year is now going to be under construction soon as they've divided it into 22 house lots and will make my dead end street a through street.

However here 22 building lots means 44 families as every house they build here has a separate suite in it. You can no longer have your own house to yourself.

We have a horrendous housing problem with something like a .02 vacancy rate. To solve this the Powers that Be have decided on all these suites BUT the RULES re: renting are equally horrendous. Get somebody who refuses to pay rent or slobs it up or parties leaves the Landlord with minimal support (as the going theory here is that ALL Landlords are slumlords and out to rake tenants over for anything they can get) via the official Government Rental Board that controls ALL aspects of renting. They even determine the amount of rent increase you can charge down to having to give months notice of any increase.

Anyway - I can empathsize with Grandad as I'm not too sure how quickly a fire truck could get down this street depending on the time of day and it would also probably have to park in the middle of the street as finding a parking spot isn't likely. I've talked to the City already about my concerns of having people just flying (speedwise) down this street (several young guys DO speed down as the street is long straight and goes down a slight hill) and they have said they'll combat this in the new development by adding in curves! Us neighbours want them to add in speed bumps but ?? City won't commit to that......RED TAPE!!!