Phishing Scam

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Phishing Scam

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

For a long time I haven't gotten any "Dear Friend" I am Queen So & So and I have a million dollars I want to give to you emails. The kind that are so blatantly phony they can be spotted a mile away however lately I again seem to be inundated.

These were really popular years ago when the Internet was just getting going and we were all getting emails linking us to Royalty and offering us all millions if we'd just cash their cheque. As the Internet sophisticated these attempts seemed to go by the way and now the scamming seems much more sophisticated with better graphics and letterhead and verbage but lately I'm getting lots of them again. Sometimes 2 or 3 in a day. Never the exact same salutations (I don't open them) but some say "Dear Friend" or "To Whom it May Concern" or something along those lines.

Anybody else getting these?

I keep reporting them as phishing scam but they still seem to be coming.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Phishing Scam

Post by Grandad »

I have not had any such emails for a long time. I did have a few supposedly from Paypal but I always look closely at the senders email and you will usually find a dot somewhere that proves it is not what it is made out to be.
I never open them but in the case of businesses or banks like Paypal I DO go to my account because any messages are recorded there, just in case they are genuine.
I am still getting occasional telephone calls from 'TalkTalk' but I just tell them to P*ss off. :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I get the more sophisticated scams now but the ones I'm getting now have been arriving daily for about the past month. Started just before I went on holidays. I haven't seen one of these "Dear Madam...I am King Obongo blah blah blah" for ages.

I just eliminated 2 which prompted me to post.

We've had huge scams here disguised as "Revenue Canada" and "BC Hydro" right down to the letterhead. It is hard to ignore them as they're coming from seemingly legit sources.

On another note I don't think I've gotten any telephone scams since I returned to Canada. Would get them in the USA and I put a "do not call" onto the phone there to stop them.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

With regards to unwanted telephone calls, I do have TPS (Telephone Preference Service) which is supposed to deny my number being given to any company that might cold call. It only works for UK numbers BUT I do get calls like TalkTalk from India BUT the caller number on my caller display is a UK number. They must have some way of relaying their international call through a UK number.

I have 'call blocking' and dial 14258** after an unwanted call and that blocks that number. Problem is that the TalkTalk calls must have a range of numbers because they still get through :xx
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I'm like you Grandad and am registered with the TPS, I also have caller display which helps weed out the international calls plus the BT call blocking service so if one gets through I just add it to the list, I rarely get unsolicited calls nowadays. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I haven't had any of these either for a long time but,

Just this morning before I went out I had a quick look on Facebook, there was a Add Friend [/b

request, with his name being very local I checked his home page which stated he was born & grew & lived

in Peterhead, his profile looked as though he is an older man so I accepted ( silly me ) as soon as I accepted

he came up chatting in Private Messaging, he started with a foreign language which I didn't understand ,

anyways I asked him to use English which he did , about 2 mins into chatting he asked if I lived in

Portugal...............Well!!! my alarm bells started, out of all Europe why Portugal when most of last week I

was searching Portugal, to cut a long story short I made quick shift, came out of FB then in & changed my

password also changed my bank account password...... as I have a card for one of Roy's accounts & all

expenses paid with the same account for holiday I had the vision of him getting into this account just

like in Rome...............Thankfully everything looks ok with checking but, just goes to show we cant trust

everyone :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes better be safe than sorry Kiya, it may also be a good idea to phone up the card provider and tell them that you will only be making the one purchase of a holiday on that card. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yes I could do that tomo once the engineer is by...hopefully