Watching you

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Watching you

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just saw this and thought I'd share. It can happen to anybody here anytime and rarely do you get to see THEM although they can be watching you.

phpBB [video]

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Watching you

Post by Grandad »

What a beautiful animal LLL, it looks big and strong. Do they ever attack people or do they just watch from the cover of trees and bushes?

When I went outside this morning to clear a very thin layer of snow the whole area was covered with fox pad prints so they have been searching far and wide for food. Must put some food out this afternoon and try to get a picture.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Cougars are known to lurk about school yards and IMO probably would grab a child. In little places like Gold River which is prime cougar territory lots to most families keep hound type dogs who will start to bay as soon as they get a whiff of a cougar. This barking signals there is a cougar in the neighbourhood and often then the schools won't let the kids go out for recess and parents are required to come and pick up their kids vs letting them walk home.

This past school year there were cougar sightings here on my street. The elementary school (four houses down) stopped letting the kids go out as half the school yard is surrounded by the marsh and a heavily wooded area. This means a cougar could easily be sitting in the trees within a few feet of the kids and nobody would probably see it. We don't have the same hound alert set up here as they do in some of the smaller communities up north.

All kids here are taught fire, earthquake, cougar & bear drills. For a cougar they're to take their coat off, flap it at the cougar, yell and make themselves as big as possible. This will hopefully deter the cougar from an attack - but ??
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for that LLL, and good that the kids are getting proper training.

The Cougar has a distinctive shape to me, more like an oversize domestic cat.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The only time I had a real close encounter was years ago when a bunch of us when camping up the north end of the Island on Brewster Lake. Was fairly remote, logging road driving so late after the trucks stopped (you are not allowed to drive on the logging roads when the trucks are running in the daytime).

We all arrived got out and my gf let her little poodle out to run after the trip. Suddenly she was screaming as a cougar had appeared (I didn't see this) out of nowhere grabbed her little dog and was gone. More than sad but that is life here. The wildlife is everywhere but you often don't even see it 'til it is on top of you.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

As long as I can remember there have been tales in the UK about Big Cats which have been seen, but never clearly photographed or any reliable evidence of their existence.

In the late seventies I had a little flock of about 30 ewes of different breeds. One spring we found a very young lamb had a broken back leg, right up at the top of the femur which is an unusual place for an injury in one so young.

Soon there was another one and another and a couple had broken front legs. We couldn't work out how this was happening. The Vet asked farming and professional friends if they had come across this before, but no one had an answer. This was before the resident fox moved in but I wondered if a fox had tried to jump over the fence holding the lamb by it's back leg - getting caught on the top rail and dropping it - thus breaking the leg.

The sheep were kept in fields with good post and rail fencing with pig netting at the bottom. Pig netting has smaller holes near the bottom to stop small pigs going though unlike sheep netting which has larger holes all the way down. Each field was either totally enclosed or open on one side to the river boundary. No road access to any of them but a fox could jump over the rail.

The last two lambs were born one morning after I had started work. I checked them over, all was well. They were wobbly but suckling so I left them to it.

Mid morning i went to check again as the ewe hadn't joined the rest of the flock but had stayed by herself on the bottom field. When I got close I could see only one lamb. It's tail was missing and it wasn't getting up. I picked it up and found long slits through it's skin around the neck, along the sides mainly, but a few other tears as well. Although it was a black lamb there was no evidence bleeding as the wounds were simply through the utmost outer layer of skin as if cut with a knife.

84 stitches were needed to repair the damage. Of extra interest were two small punctures at the beginning of a couple of tears on the throat. Never found a trace of the other lamb.

All most odd.

To be continued...............
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

"The Beast of Bodmin Moor" :sd
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:snig: In central Kent? :lol: :D

Saga continued....

We lost at least a third of our lambs that year with broken legs, maybe more as our twin percentage was low too.

I decided to do the sensible thing and give up sheep - which was wonderful. I gave them to a few friends who were smallholders and visited them at shearing and dipping times so I could smile at the thought that I didn't have to do that any more.

I thought I'd made up the saying that most sheep's ambition in life is to die before they can be slaughtered - then found a lot of other people thought they had invented the saying as well!

I concentrated on goats and never had a predator problem again............ Some years later however, one summer I was offered the hay off a remote field of a farming friend on condition we remove it from the field ourselves and the site only had access through several other fields so we couldn't use a lorry. Our horse trailer and Land Rover was Ok, but it meant lots of journeys.

It was a beautiful summer day when we stopped for a break and the Vet and I were looking round, trying to get a fix on where we were in relation to the village as there was no sign of habitation at all. The Vet suddenly said to me "What's that dog doing right out here, there's no houses or footpaths." I looked to where he was pointing and saw, way across the field a black animal walking along the hedgerow very slowly with it's head down. Because of the angle at first we couldn't see it in profile, but as it moved on I could see a long body and a really long thick tail. I didn't know what to make of it.

We sat quietly as it moved obliquely across the field. slowly not hurrying at all. I said "It can't be a cat it's too big" the Vet replied "Well it certainly isn't a dog!" Nonplussed, we sat and watched the animal which was between the size of a cocker spaniel and a border collie, head low, long body and tail.

If I had been by myself I wouldn't have believed my eyes, but the Vet saw it as well. Of course later we discussed it at length and decided on two things. It was a very large cat and we would keep quiet about it.

To be continued.............
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mystery on a lazy Sunday afternoon.......I'm loving it but the suspense is killing me :o
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Super Interesting MD!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just saw this News article which is about a one hour or so drive north of here yet well within the traditional cougar stomping grounds.

https://www.cheknews.ca/three-cougars-k ... ed-425607/

I'm not too sure a donkey would be defending the rest of the herd against a cougar but maybe. I'm also wondering IF the homeowner did manage to wing a cougar who is still out there wounded. Sad the Police shot the two juveniles and I rather wonder why they didn't even attempt to trap them.

In all my years of living around here I've never seen so many cougars & bears coming in close to people and doing things like attack livestock. I guess it has to do with the pressures of a shrinking habitat.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The news today is that a cougar chased a Mom and daughter in their backyard. Not good as doing something like that can signal the end of the cougar.

Other news via a friend who is a Professor at our formerly rabbit infested university is that it is suddenly very noticeable the rabbits are gone. There was a meeting at the University and it is believed that enough of the rabbits will die off so that there will no sustainability (didn't ask him to elaborate what that meant ..... ???)

Am starting to wonder if the sudden dearth of rabbits is going to precipitate more cougar attacks on people (until they adjust to hunting deer or ? again). I don't think bear particularly hunt rabbits here but they might come in if they smell the decomposing bodies.......

Isn't nature grand (when we meddle)????