General reminder

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

General reminder

Post by Horus »

Saying as how Grandad has probably got loads of tenners stashed away somewhere, I thought I would remind you all that the old style paper £10 notes will cease to be legal tender on this Thursday 1st March 2018, so get checking in those purses and under the mattress ;)

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: General reminder

Post by Mad Dilys »

:a40: Shocking! Thanks for telling me. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

So what will I sleep on tonight? :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

That is odd that they're actually taking a Bank Note aka MONEY out of service. Why not just keep collecting them 'til they're like hens teeth (but still good)?

What is the rationale for removing these and deeming them not valid?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The idea behind the new notes (we now have £10 & £20 notes) is that they last a lot longer, but the main thing is that they are supposed to be unforgeable as they have a myriad of new features such as holograms etc. There has been a reasonable hand over period and the banks and shops are supposed to have removed them from circulation during this time, but like anything else new there has to be a cut off date when they become obsolete.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Our "new" money is basically plastic and if left out in the hot sun will melt :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ours too, we now have these awfull plastic notes that stick together when new and crease up as they get older so they become springy . :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I am not keen on them either H. They may be more secure and durable but they take a permanent crease when folded making them difficult to handle.
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:a40: Oh, so they won't cope with the hot cycle of the washing machine then? My Mum rescued my wages and laid them out to dry when I made that mistake. The notes were fine with a bit of ironing - I guess that's out too? :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Mad Dilys wrote::a40: Oh, so they won't cope with the hot cycle of the washing machine then? My Mum rescued my wages and laid them out to dry when I made that mistake. The notes were fine with a bit of ironing - I guess that's out too? :lol:
I haven't tried that yet, but I suspect that they will cope much better as they are mainly plastic.

Interesting story about your wages finishing up in the washing machine, I once felt acutely embarrassed by having one of the old fiver’s refused in a pub because it was a fake as determined by the ultra violet test lamp that they often used on anything looking a bit iffy. I must admit that on closer inspection the paper felt a bit thicker and it was fractionally smaller in size. As I came by the note via my local bank I made a point of taking it with me on my next visit, they examined the note and declared it to be genuine. They explained that it had been washed and had shrunk because of the linen content of the paper and the reaction to the ultra violet light was because of the washing powder used in the water. ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Horus wrote:
Mad Dilys wrote::a40: Oh, so they won't cope with the hot cycle of the washing machine then? My Mum rescued my wages and laid them out to dry when I made that mistake. The notes were fine with a bit of ironing - I guess that's out too? :lol:
I haven't tried that yet, but I suspect that they will cope much better as they are mainly plastic.

Interesting story about your wages finishing up in the washing machine, I once felt acutely embarrassed by having one of the old fiver’s refused in a pub because it was a fake as determined by the ultra violet test lamp that they often used on anything looking a bit iffy. I must admit that on closer inspection the paper felt a bit thicker and it was fractionally smaller in size. As I came by the note via my local bank I made a point of taking it with me on my next visit, they examined the note and declared it to be genuine. They explained that it had been washed and had shrunk because of the linen content of the paper and the reaction to the ultra violet light was because of the washing powder used in the water. ;)

Well, that's a new one on me! :D
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I suppose it does make sense when you think about all the manufactures claims that used to emphasise how their product would make your clothes look whiter. As ultra violet light makes white things glow (remember the old disco lights? :D ) then I suppose some chemical they added gave the same effect to your wash, basically if it bounced the light back then it looked cleaner. ;)

Who remembers the old TV jingle: Altogether now :a24:
“Bluinite in bluinite Tide, gives the white that catches the eye, Blu-in-ite Tide” :hp