Question

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Question

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Last trip the power cord to my laptop gave up the ghost second day or so (or before) into my trip. I WAS charging my laptop - plugging it in - and wasn't really noticing that it was NOT charging until I got the red blinking battery icon saying I was totally out of battery.

I had my old Kindle with me which has a virtual keyboard but it kept dropping the internet signal and on asking everybody else in the Resort if it was me or the signal they concluded their internet connect was strong and solid (and I could actually see that signal strength was excellent).

Then on the day of the Superbowl I saw on Amazon that they were selling bigger and brand new Kindles with Alexa too for pretty cheap so I bought a new one (cause I could also pick it up en route home along with another new power cord).

I ultimately opted not to drive all over Mexico trying to find a "cable de alimentación para mi computadora" (power cord for my computer) especially since most of the hotel staff & taxi drivers (granted with lots of pointing, hand gestures & shrugs) didn't really know WHERE I'd find one.... "Walmarto" was the most common suggestion but I know Walmart here wouldn't sell a power cord for a Toshiba laptop so I didn't even try to go out and get one.

So - coming to my question .... I now have a Fire HD 8 Kindle. Although it has a virtual keyboard I can't stand pecking out messages with 1 finger typing. I want to get a keyboard for it and I'm seeing them for sale online on Amazon. They run on Bluetooth (which I'm guessing means I'd have to charge the keyboard separate)

The question (finally): Has anybody used one of these? And how do you get the cursor to move? There isn't a touch pad on the keyboard and it says they don't use a mouse. This means you're stuck with trying to move the cursor by way of the arrow keys??

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Question

Post by Horus »

This means you're stuck with trying to move the cursor by way of the arrow keys??
Pretty much :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Or maybe you can just touch the screen where you want to place the cursor.

I have the same Fire as you LLL. I also have a keyboard that came with my 10" Archos tablet and as you had raised the subject I connected my Fire to the keyboard hoping it would work......sadly not, so please keep us up to date on your Fire keyboard (if you buy one) and I might follow you down that route. So much easier than the onscreen touch keyboard.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Still researching this and on Amazon there is a case you can buy with a keyboard. Course you can see that this says "does not ship to Canada" (big sigh here and saga of my life) but this is what I'd LIKE to get on my next trip to the States so means I have to test it right away (which isn't a huge problem) just in case it arrives DOA.

It says:

Magnetically detachable keyboard of The Kindle Fire HD 8" 2015 Case perfect for carrying around and typing while you're out and about

Slim PU Leather Design maximum protection with minimal bulk. Precision-placed cutouts keep your Fire HD 8 2015 Tablet fully accessible

4 in 1 Multi-Function, Fire HD 8 2015 case cover bluetooth wireless keyboard + Premium Leather Case + stand, with built in rechargeable lithium battery

Premium PU Leather Folio Shell locks your Fire HD 8 2015 Tablet in place and absorbs drops and bumps.

Specially Designed Kick Back Stand creates the perfect viewing and typing position Real laptop-style keyboard, giving you better typing experience than silicone keyboard as other cases.

Note: if you meet any product problem, please kindly contact us for help, we will give you the best service we could offer

BUT nowhere does it say or show there is a way to move the cursor about so am going to email them and ask. I can see this as a positive and would make the Kindle more user friendly.

My next question is: What are the best earplugs to use?

Believe it or not I don't have earplugs so am figuring I actually need to get them if I'm going to go the route of actually downloading movies onto the Kindle to watch if I was on a plane. I see some people now with earplugs that just hang about the back of their neck. I also see some earplugs that hook over the top of your ear vs just plugging into your ear. I guess it is a bit of an individual thing but am sure there are better or worse types.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux Take care which model Fire you have. The Fire HD 8 2015 does not, I believe, have Alexa. I have the Fire HD 8 2017 release that does have Alexa. I believe there may be differences in the case because one keyboard I looked by MOKO specified 2015 model only. BUT this keyboard HAS got a touchpad so I expect you can move the cursor.

Might be worth getting that clear when you contact Amazon help...
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - As I was looking through the Amazon keypads I did read that some of the cases + keypads are NOT for my Kindle Fire HD8.

This new Kindle does have Alexa and is the latest release (June 2017) so I've been able to narrow down to the MoKo ($36USD) and/or Fintie ($38USD) both of which have a case and keyboard.

What you do if you need to move the cursor is basically 'touch the Kindle screen'!! Rather a "DUH" answer if I'd of thought about it.

What I did do today is go to "Best Buy" which is a large modern computer, electronics, TV, appliance store. I hadn't been in there before and should actually clarify that I rarely shop here and usually "Canadian" prices are sufficient to put me into cardiac arrest and today was no exception.

For a CASE alone for my Kindle the cost is $79CDN + 12% sales tax for the CHEAPEST case. The bluetooth keyboards start at $129CDN + 12% tax except none are in stock (most things here only arrive once a year and the rest of the year remain out of stock). The bluetooth keyboards that were in stock averaged $179 up.

Sooo if purchased here the case and keyboard would total well over $300CDN (which is roughly $200USD or 143Pound Sterling) and it would be your guess or mine IF they're really work with an Amazon device.

Makes the $38USD look pretty good so now I just need to decide which of the two is better.

I did read one review on a case that said the velcro that wrapped to hold the Kindle in didn't have a hole for earbuds.

Cause I was IN Best Buy I also decided to look at dishwashers. The one that came with this house is pushing probably 12 yrs old. Slightly older than the house so am sure it didn't come with it. I've been thinking of getting a replacement before this one breaks or dies (mostly I don't want it to fail and have water spewing through the floors).

The Bosch I like is very quiet (42 decibels) and sells in the States (NOT on sale) for $750-ish roughly give or take $20. The same Bosch at Best Buy was $2800!!! so back to plan A and maybe this summer I'll go down and buy one, have them fit it into the back of the car, stay over 2 nights (as then my exemption on goods is $800) and bring it back.

I honestly do not know WHY our prices are so much more. Has to be the tax burden however all that does for me is mean that I really ONLY shop when I'm in the States as does every other Canadian as all I see licence plate-wise when I go down to the Border city are Canadian licence plates.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux LLL, I have checked out the keyboards for the Fire and I think it is important to get one that is specific to yours, or my, model. We do both seem to have the same, ie, Fire 8 HD 7th generation 2017.

I have ordered the one with the bright coloured tree pattern on the outside of the case. I still have a trial Prime subscription so it will be delivered free on Wednesday for £35.99, roughly the same in pounds as the US price in dollars.

We have a 20% sales tax (VAT) that is included in that price so not a bad deal IMO. I had guessed that you would just touch the screen to re-position the cursor but that is no big deal. I have to do the same with my Archos.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - woo hoo! Your case sounds nice!

I put the question on the Amazon.com site and I've had probably seven replies so far saying there is no way to move the cursor other than to touch the screen. Some said you use the arrow keys so will have to see how that goes but if you want the cursor to go to some specific location you'll have to touch the screen. Shouldn't really be a biggie as I don't move the cursor that often now.

I DO have here (and I got it for my old Kindle but then really never used it) a stylus. It looks like a pen but has a rubber tip on the end. I think it was $1. Wasn't expensive but it was for playing games on Kindle however I don't ever really play games so haven't used it. I'm going to attach that to the case (when I get it) for the new Kindle as that is probably what I'd use to position the cursor. I'm thinking it would probably be more accurate than my finger.

I ordered a screen protector this morning. I have one on my old Kindle as I do touch the screen to start it etc and if I'm going to be touching the screen more I want to be sure the screen is protected.

I think I'm going to get the Fintie because it holds on magnetically so there is no blocking of the hole where you'd plug in the earplugs. I read that as a 'con' when I was reading reviews but that was specific to a case that was for a different generation of Kindle than the one I have now. It was using velour to keep the Kindle in place and there wasn't a specific hole to plug in the earbuds.

Both cases (Moko & Fintie) have good ratings but they only come in solid colours. No fancy patterns on the cases that I'm seeing here.

I actually ordered this new Kindle in yellow and if I can get a case in yellow I'll order that otherwise I'm ordering black. It is close to the size of my old Kindle which is black and I simply thought that being yellow would make it easy for me to see it and differentiate it from my other old Kindle that I'm going to keep as a reading Kindle.

I still have USA Prime 'til March 17th so I'm going to order it just prior to me going back down there which is probably going to be next week and I'll get it then. Am actually quite excited about getting this because if it works at all well it will save me carrying the big laptop + cord.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
My latest purchase dropped through the door fewer than 24 hours from my order placement. I plugged it in straight away to charge and paired it with the Fire.....no probs. Just remember to switch Bluetooth on, on your Fire and search for other devices.
The keyboard is small but much easier for me than the onscreen keyboard. The on/off switch is a bit fiddly but no real problem. The case is magnetic so the keyboard can be placed anywhere when the case is open as a stand. The lead has the same USB connection as the Fire so no extra leads needed. There are a number of keyboard shortcuts like 'Home' which goes straight to the home page.
This is definitely going to be my 'travelling companion' in the future I think you will like it, and I like my case design. Here is a collage...
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

YES!!!!!!! Looks lovely and that is exactly what I'm now wanting to get and I will.

Really quite like your case too. After you said you had a design on your case I went back and looked but here the choice is black/red/blue. There were some patterned cases but they were for the 10" (Largest Kindle) so will get a black case as I'll still be able to see the 'yellow' of my own Kindle cover (although from the size alone I can easily tell the difference between my old Kindle and the new one so getting a yellow one is/was rather a moot point)

I think this idea has now solved my travel issues too and I won't be dragging the laptop along when I go. I can also see me going to the coffee shop with the new Kindle and possibly typing (maybe - not sure) but given it is so small and portable I might. I've occasionally typed using the virtual keyboard when I'm out (if I have to answer the daughter about something) and I really do NOT like using it.

@Grandad - what is the actual Makers Name of your case?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, mine is by Moko and the pattern name is Lucky Tree.
I checked the US site and Fintie have at least a dozen colourways including mine which they call Z Love Tree.
My Kindle is red and I chose this cover because it has some red in it. Doesn't really matter though because you can hardly see the Fire when in the case. Also I opted for something a bit jazzy in preference to the regular black or grey that I find a bit boring.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - you saw pattern'd covers? Hmmmm - I'm going to have to look again cause all my site brought was solid colours and (maybe I read it wrong) those patterned ones only fit the 10" Kindle.

Will look again ......
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, I am using the new keyboard to post this. i like the feel of the keys and the shortcut keys are very good. you still need to touch the screen for some functions like the back arrow. i looked again on Amazon.com and there are many that fit the Fire 8 HD 7th generation and many cover pattern options.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, I have just checked the available Functions (that I called shortcuts) and one of them IS the back arrow.
There are 12 function keys as follows: Search, back, select all, copy, paste, cut, previous track, play/pause, next track, volume down, volume up, lock screen. There are also dedicated keys for mail and home screen.
So things are well covered from the keyboard except cursor placement that we mentioned before. Your stylus may well make that easy. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Oh, is that what you're all talking about! A keyboard for your tablet! I've had a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad for years, but I very rarely use it. It's magnetic too and when folded down, the iPad is completely enclosed. I have a feeling that the reason I stopped using it was that I preferred a leather flap case.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I had one on a very early tablet, but find them too small for my big fingers.
What gets me about Amazon and the Fire tablets is that they already have a built in microphone for when you use Alexa, but the onboard keypad does not show the mic icon, weird. :urm:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My new Kindle has Alexa but so far I haven't used it as have been playing with the Dot that I have plugged into the wall.

When I was looking online now at all the keyboards it seems that Amazon has been updating them all quite regularly so am sure in the near future they'll have a keyboard with an Alexa key on it. I'm hoping I'll easily adapt to the smaller keyboard but am thinking even it if is a bit awkward it'll still be way easier than the one finger virtual keyboard typing. I ALWAYS seem to forget to hit the virtual space key so I'm often finding I haveonelongsentencewithnospaces.

All those function keys sound real good. I'm going to order one so that when I go down to the States next week I can pick it up. Am seeing no downside at all particularly when I think about travel. Be real nice not to have to lug the laptop.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Just thought - is the cord you use to power your Kindle with the same for the keyboard? One cord to charge both?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
Yes LLL, the Kindle Fire cord is the same connector as the keyboard and the Kindle reader. Fortunately it is also the same as the USB to charge my mobile so the only other cord we need is for my wifes ipad.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Granddad - thanks for the info. I thought you'd said it was the same cord and my phone also charged off the Kindle cord too so only having to carry one cord works well (although with my luck I'm going to carry TWO when I'm off on a significant jaunt just in case one cord dies)