Views of Puerto Vallarta

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Views of Puerto Vallarta

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I didn't take my big camera with me and opted to take the small handheld pocket Canon.

There are a few of the views and vistas around and about Puerto Vallarta which is on Banderas Bay.

My patio which was on the second floor overlooking one of the adult swimming pools. Logged quite a few hours on those recliners

In Puerto Vallarta there is a long walkway (few miles) all along the shoreline which is dotted with statues and impromptu works of art.

On lady was laying rocks on top of each other and another fellow had finished this large sand sculpture.

Our Lady of Guadalupe Church whose crown overlooks most of downtown Puerto Vallarta and some of the lady sellers who stand outside touting their wears to all the tourists who come to see this church which is essentially open 24/7.

Two different restaurants I went to

Just views and vistas of 'typical' Puerto Vallarta

Overall Puerto Vallarta (population 629,000) reminds quite a bit of Luxor. Most of the people there are attached somehow to tourism and their economy is dependent on it. English is commonly spoken (except by every taxi driver I hire and while I "hablo" (speak) a little bit I only scrape by) and everybody for the most part goes out of their way to cater to tourists. And, for what it is worth, Puerto Vallarta was just given the designation of the 'safest' city in Mexico. Because their economy is tourist based they do not want 'incidents' and they have 'civic police' (little old men & women to young adults wearing vests) with whistles who help you get across the street (no stop lights so you just have to herd across busy intersections), give directions to WC (which are tucked away everywhere and always quite clean & most free although always best to carry 4 pesos in coin to put into the huge turnstyles to get INTO the pay ones). Overall the weather is mostly wonderful and this time of year the high humidity isn't there. Heading back next year and will probably stay a month (or so). ;)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Views of Puerto Vallarta

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for that LLL, a nice concise description and interesting pictures. You have a good eye for a snap, I particularly like the bangles and the two ladies selling their wares.
After looking at your pictures my wife asked me to check PV out as a holiday option. Tui go direct by Dreamliner but it is 12 hours and we don't do that kind of flight any more. Shame because it does appeal to us.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday despite a few hiccups ;) Here's to next year eh? :up
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Grandad - for what it is worth I always use Alaska Airlines out of Seattle (SeaTac) when flying there now because they offer direct 4 hour flights and I don't have to change airlines especially coming back whereby you have to clear customs coming into the USA and then line up to get onboard another plane. If I took a flight out of Canada I'd have to first fly to Calgary Alberta (so as to link up with everybody coming from Edmonton) before flying south to Mexico (something like a 12 hour flight - NO NO NO)

IF you were at all interested in travelling there is there anyway you could fly to a destination east coast USA stay for a few days to a week and then continue on on a direct flight to Mexico? Essentially break up the travel time?

And Puerto Vallarta IS, in my opinion, the BEST destination. You're closer to Cancun/Yucatan Penninsula resorts but they're BIG time tourist. The resorts are so big you have to take shuttles to get from your suite or flat to the restaurants and you never get to know anybody.

You can find the huge resorts in PV too but many are smaller and older ones often offer 'seniors packages' (i.e. $69/day for all you can eat & drink + hotel fee). I'd say the majority in the place I stayed were ALL silver haired oldies. Very relaxed atmosphere with friendly staff.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, it is probably about 12 hours to the west coast so I don't Think that would be any better. If we do get away for a break this year it will probably be the middle east.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ohhhhhh - 12 hours is why I don't go west to Australia, Japan, China, New Zealand ;) and why I'm not going east to Europe or the Middle East anymore either sooo I do fully understand. Was mostly thinking if there is anyway you can break the travel time it might work. Puerto Vallarta has a real 'welcome tourists' attitude and relaxed, slow atmosphere.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I loved the photos LLL especially the one of the beach with the piled stones. I keep going back to it as it fascinates me.

The towers with tiny stones near the top which have big stones on them are particularly clever. I have seen some in the UK but not in such numbers together.

Also the many different colours and textures of stones led me to investigate exactly why there should be so many and where they had originated. Obviously tectonic activity was involved, but my knowledge was very sketchy as it was discovered at a particularly busy time of my life.

So Google became involved and the investigation which is ongoing and has led me to this site. Which describes how there are actually no "fixed " points on earth!
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cr ... ates-move/

Your little camera has a skillful operator. Thank you.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just a quickie comment LLL as I am still not up to much, lovely photo's keep em comming :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely pictures LLL :) you do get around to some great and colourful places :)

Love the sand sculpture :) and stones :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The beaches at the Resorts are all deep sand but all trucked in (probably). This is what a typical untended beach looks like there so the Lady stacking all the rocks had LOTS of material to work with.

We actually have a similar hobby here and there is an annual contest where people go to the Maffeo Sutton Park and stack rocks. When the Eskimos/Inuit do it they're called "inukshuk" and historically they're found through the far north here. They're made roughly in the figure of a human and can be made as directional signs or landmarks (usually large flat rocks) but I've thought they might have inspired the rock stacking activity.

:bar3: :bar3:

On another day in Puerto Vallarta I went to find this church. The name escapes me but it is NOT the "Our Lady of Guadaloupe" which is downtown and a main tourist attraction. This one is in north PV off the beaten path.

Street outside and across from this church

What it does have though is a HUGE as in couple ton carving of Jesus that they have free hung off the wall. More than impressive how this statue was mounted and hung. Interestingly enough in this sculpture/carving it had the nail holes of Jesus on the cross on the hands and feet but it did NOT have him wearing a crown of thorns. No explanation why but I found it curious the carver did not include that either within the actual wood carving OR added later as a metal or wire piece.

These are just a couple of other interesting tidbit around this church

Lastly this Church was on a very busy intersection and while it was a work day, roughly mid-morning when I was there this dog way lying sound asleep (I thought it was dead at first) on the steps. It's tongue was a bit out, eyes closed and it was absolutely still.

I was a bit leery of touching a street dog there and nobody else was paying it any attention at all but it was dead to the world. She was still there when I came back out and did have her head up and was lazily surveiling her world. I called to her and she immediately started to slowly wag her tail, ears back and licking her lips putting her head out for a pat. I did scratch her head and she was very receptive to the attention, not at all afraid or hesitant. She didn't appear unfed and I'm surmising that she has probably learned hanging about this Church she'll get enough attention (even from tourists going there to see this Statue like me) and food to make hanging about worth while.

Puerto Vallarta has LOTS of street dogs but due to tourist outcry they've mostly rounded them up. We even had an animal rescue group here on the Island linked to PV and we were getting street dogs brought here for adoption as pets. I know cause I thought about it but really I'm not quite yet ready to take on another dog. The group I'm thinking about has stopped but was quite active for quite a while.

Anyway said good-bye to her and she seemed more than content to just lay on the steps and people watch. Her skin and fur looked dusty dirty but ok.