To hug or not to hug?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

To hug or not to hug?

Post by Mad Dilys »

I understand that foster parents have been advised that "In the present social climate foster parents should not hug or cuddle children in their care."

How do I feel about this? :x :st

Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: To hug or not to hug?

Post by Horus »

Diabolical :vs it falls into the same category as a teacher being unable to hug or comfort a young child who may have hurt themselves or is distressed. A world gone mad where taking a photo of your child or grandchild at school events is forbidden, where you have to lower your camera when you are out and about should a child come into view or risk being branded as a pervert. Like many things we have now become shackled by stupid rules and practices because of the actions of a few, this goes for pervs and terrorists in equal amounts and instead of really punishing either act very severely when they are caught, instead they usually get a slapped wrist and then they bring in another draconian law that we all have to abide by.

My mate and I were discussing this very thing the other day and one example he quoted was when his then very young daughter and her friends were out playing. The friend fell into a patch of stinging nettles and you can just imagine the wailing and crying as they rushed back to his house, he was desperate to do something, but was frightened to use the old remedy of rubbing a Dock Leaf on the little girls bare legs or even applying some soothing cream to stop the burning, just one example of the crazy world we now live in.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

The trouble is that children are 'aware' from a quite early age these days, and there are far too many adults waiting in the wings to put words in their mouths! DH is a prime example. GD is 9 years old now, but is growing up fast, if you know what I mean, so he's very wary of letting her jump all over him. :td Mind you, I can understand how he feels, because I had 'advances' made to me by male family members from the age of 13. Fortunately for them, I was so innocent and wouldn't have known at that age just what they were intending. :tk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Even in the mid-1980ies here Anybody working with children were well advised to never touch the child even if they were hurt, to always leave the office door open etc. If the child was to make any type of statement a career could be ruined so always two adults and often a screaming child with no nurturing anywhere
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Terrible and inhuman. :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Absolutely ludicrous and another example of how all are affected by the actions of the few.

Horus has listed some examples and these things remind me of school days when if one classmate did something mischievous and wouldn't own up, the whole class was penalised. We certainly haven't moved on.

My daughter is a classroom assistant and very popular with her class. If a child is upset, distressed, crying, she must not hug the child in any way. No physical contact, console the child with words not comforting actions.
If a child falls and grazes a knee. Do not clean and dress the minor injury, call the parent.

Bah! Humbug!
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Humbug indeed Grandad! :x
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just heard this on the news: This is in Stockport...
"Children have been banned from high-fiving their elderly lollipop man as they cross the road.
Colin Spencer (83) has been shepherding kids to safety for 14 years.
The highlight of his day is high-fiving the kids as they pass.
But council bosses, concerned Colin’s friendly gesture is causing ‘a disruption’, have stepped in".

Honestly, you couldn't make it up. :lol: :x
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:o :? I give up .............. but of course in time the pendulum will swing back, not in my time perhaps but it always does.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

This is half the problem with kids today, the PC brigade have ruined their childhood, teachers and helpers are afraid to make physical contact regardless of how innocent it may be. Parents and other relatives unable to take photographs of their children in sports events and other group activities like school plays ect. You would be scared to even take your childs friend out with them on a social outing for fear of some sort of accusation, I am just glad that I had a better childhood and was a much freer soul.