Making lists

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Making lists

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I now have three pages of 'to do' lists! :o Do you all remember everything you have to do; are you so well organised that everything goes like clockwork - or are you like me, and need to make lists in case you forget anything? :lol:

So far, I have a list for Sunday, one for Monday and one for Tuesday when the family descend on me, and it looks as though on Christmas Day I will be chained to the cooker! And just to add the icing on the cake, I have a hospital appointment at 5pm on Wednesday, so no peace for the wicked! :urm:

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Making lists

Post by Horus »

I don’t do lists as such, but I do leave myself reminders and like you I have a busy week. I have an appointment at the eye clinic today for an annual check up, tomorrow I will have to go shopping and the bank, then Friday my son is a prosecution witness at a magistrates court in another town and because of family commitments has asked me if I will take him there. So in between I am trying to get all the little jobs finished, I am currently cleaning the bathroom. I have not given any thoughts to Boxing day when my daughter and husband are supposed to be coming so I will have to wing it in what veg etc. to get in, busy busy.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm inclined to say No! But in fact absolutely addicted to them. :oops:

When I am in working condition ie able to get out and about, I make a to do list for every day of the week as they come. I start on Monday - but each morning ticking off what has been done and carry forward items not completed. I usually use green and red highlighter, Green for started and red for completed.

However for a while now I just have my monthly shopping list to be delivered and things completed or achieved, which makes me feel better .

I do make notes though, little individual reminders of things to research or phone numbers etc. but not on one list.

I also collect note books, :oops: lots of note books. :a2: I never throw them away, but make notes about all kinds of things on different size books, plain, lined or graph, with or without sections coloured in different hues and in sizes from pocket note through to foolscap. It's one of my addictions - I love the feel and smell of the paper - I was book monitor at school - Heaven! :up

My ultimate treat when I holiday in Ibiza is to visit a stationary shop in Ibiza town centre, which has the best selection of note books I've ever come across. The are usually made in Germany or Spain and cost the same in Euros as we pay in pounds ( when available,) I usually get at least half a dozen, then may give one or two to a daughter - both of them are great list makers and take it to a high level (of neurosis) ending up with lists of lists! :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just like Horus I also write notes to myself, ie post its on my desk. I have a reporters note pad onmy desk and write notes there which often come in useful as an aide-memoire or something to look back on, telephone numbers, addresses etc
My wife never writes a shopping list. She starts at the veg end of the supermarket and proceeds aisle by aisle to the frozen end taking items as she passes them. A daughter in law LIVES by lists. On Thursday she is taking Mrs G to do the weekly shop (saving a return taxi). My wife will be finished long before Karen because Karen will not have her list in sequence and will have to go back and forth about the store.

You should see her timing list for Christmas day lunch. A kind of Critical Path Analysis. :lol: :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

:o List?

:o List?

What is a list? :ni:

I don't ever make a list of what I have to do I guess I just wing it as I see it and/or as it become so urgent I can't put it off any longer (quite unlike when I was working where I religiously kept a daily calendar with my day marked out in 15 minute blocks of time)

Now I will occasionally make a list when I go to the grocery store if I'm buying something I never buy i.e. salt. It is sold by the pound box here and it takes me several years to go through it all so it isn't something I commonly buy. I seem never to remember to pick it up BUT after writing it down on a piece of paper and putting it on the dash of the car so it stared me in the face so I would not forget to specifically walk into the store and buy TWO boxes of it I now have sufficient table salt 'til the day I die.

I very much shop like Mrs Grandad. I start in the fruit vegetable section and then walk to the right up and down the aisles I know I buy from which are about 3 as mostly I seem to only shop the outer rim of the store.

I might sometimes make a list if I need to specifically do something in order or if I'm going somewhere I don't normally go and have a number of stops and can't easily get back there but mostly around here nothing is happening that I can't do it next day or next week.

I guess mostly I find I'm totally well stocked with groceries as having been bored and seeing things 'on sale' I buy them. I have enough frozen mean & dried beans & lentils in glass jars I could forgo going to the store for all of 2018 (which probably explains why I really only shop the fruit & veggie section each week).

I do like note books though as does the youngest daughter who does make lists in them and uses them out each year. I tend to buy nice ones thinking I'll write poetry in them or short stories or detail how the garden grows but never do.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

If I'm shopping in person, I never make a list, not enough hands to cope with stick or walker and lists as well, but actually never have. I'm a quick shopper, don't linger but make an executive decision as I go.

I have to list what I want for the supermarket to deliver or I wouldn't get anything, obviously. But again it's quick.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think part of the answer of to list or not to list is how many people or persons are involved and how persnickety those involved are. I'm almost always just shopping for me. I usually know what I want and go and get it. I don't often compare contrast and rarely if ever stand in a store and try on clothes (can't abide doing that) and have never made a list pertaining to clothing.

I really don't have to think about catering to what others like or want so when I go to the store I'm usually in a space where if I see it and want it (for me) I just get it - i.e. today when I cruised the grocery store quickly after the Dr app't I saw they still have lovely looking persimmons so I bought 4 and passed over plums. I had no intention of getting persimmons but since I was looking for fresh fruit to last me over the Christmas I got what I saw although generally I knew I needed to get in some more fruit now to tide me over the holidays so that I don't have to go back to the store(s) again and battle the crowds who are shopping like the world is coming to an end.

I think if your shopping is including what others want or you really must get something specific I think then that changes how you shop and lists probably are needed so that you can write down all the specifications of everything you need to buy.

@MD I was smiling a bit this afternoon as I was wrapping the Notebook I've got for the daughter for her lists and musings and notations and writings. Not a big notebook but she will love it and she will also definitely use it. She loves 'em and almost always has one on her kitchen counter for quick notes and reference.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Oh, I didn't mean shopping lists! :D They're a given seeing that DH does all the shopping, but Sunday, Monday and Tuesday will be really busy days for me because of all the cooking that needs to be done for Boxing Day. First thing after Christmas, I will be looking for a new cooker, preferably one of the Range type that has a double oven, so I can actually cook things in one go! At the moment, with my present cooker, it means having to juggle because of the timings, :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ohh my mind just immediately went to a shopping list.

If I was purchasing something quite technical with lots of features and especially features I wanted as a 'must have' I might make a list of them so as to ensure I got all I wanted - but - nothing here is that complex as I'm not astute enough to know how to use much that is complex (quite a reflection on me!)

When I worked I had lists of appointments, lists of phone calls to return (and why), lists of professionals to coordinate with and tasks needed doing that was never ending and often urgent so now I try for the opposite. Nothing on a driven agenda, nothing a must do etc.