The Real Marigold Hotel

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

The Real Marigold Hotel

Post by Horus »

For anyone who watched the program called The Real Marigold Hotel that had several British pensioners including Marian Margoles, Jan Leeming, Bobby George, Wayne Sleep amongst others sampling the life of retiring to India, then there is a new version currently being shown on BBC 1. This one seems to be episodes set in 4 different locations featuring many of the same people from the last series. Last night it was set in China and was quite an eye opener when it came to how that country has advanced especially the facilities and things available for their own retired population. They (the Chinese) retire between 50 and 55 years old and by and large seem to have more going for them than many old folks living here in the UK. It is worth taking a look at and next week they are in Cuba and if you missed it you can catch it again on BBC I-player :up

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: The Real Marigold Hotel

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Is this a new version of the movie? I loved the movie and all the actors in it.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Is this a new version of the movie? I loved the movie and all the actors in it.
No not the movie, it is a made for TV program, you can maybe catch it here before it gets pulled from Youtube :up

This one is about Florida
phpBB [video]
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I was in awe of Miriam Margoles when she was young, what a wonderful actress. I first became aware of her on the radio in dramas, I was surprised when I first saw her, as I thought she sounded cool, tall, slim and refined. Later having seen her in classical productions, farce and everything in between if I saw her name on the programme I knew I would enjoy the performance.

Seeing how she really is in this series convinces me that I was right first time. A very talented Actress, but not very likable and frankly uncouth without much regard for anyone else as she got older.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I thought the same MD, she comes over as being quite peevish.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Paul Nicholas who appeared in a previous series - in contrast to Miriam Margoles - showed himself to be just as charming and impish as when he was young.

He may have lost his lovely blond curls and at first I didn't recognise him (haven't seen him for about 30 years) but that dazzling smile and genuine nature soon shone through and it couldn't be anyone else. Lovely chap.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus - I think they pulled your link before it ever got to me cause the entire screen of your link is basically black.

Probably really good which is why I'm not being allowed to see it here ..... :( :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thats a shame, the video is still active in my post, maybe its just blocked at your end for some reason. :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mad Dilys wrote:Paul Nicholas who appeared in a previous series - in contrast to Miriam Margoles - showed himself to be just as charming and impish as when he was young.

He may have lost his lovely blond curls and at first I didn't recognise him (haven't seen him for about 30 years) but that dazzling smile and genuine nature soon shone through and it couldn't be anyone else. Lovely chap.
They are doing it different this series, 4 single episodes in different locations. From the trailer Paul Nicholas and Jan Leeming will appear with, I believe, the others from series #1. Easy viewing and very entertaining. :lol:
:gg:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
I will just pop this in here as it is TV related. We have a series running at present, of Rick Stein a well known seafood chef, travelling from LA and down to Mexico. Last evening he went to Pueto Vallarta which rang bells because I think you have mentioned it. Looks lovely and, way back, Burton and Taylor had a pair of houses there connected by a bridge because they were both married to others at the time. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm off to Puerto Vallarta again this spring. Already booked in and counting down.

Puerto Vallarta reminds me a lot of Luxor. It is relatively isolated from other cities (I mean you can take a bus to Guadalajara but it is a few hours ride away) and the economy totally based on tourism. Most speak English although "Yo hablo" a bit. There is a really high tolerance to tourists, everybody very accommodating and lots of activities are happening daily to entertain the crowds. Souvenirs are everywhere although the touts are not at all as aggressive as those in Egypt who often became nothing short of a royal pain in the butt.

No idea 'why' I can't see H video. It is just a black square to me and doesn't even say "this URL is not supported" etc.

Puerto Vallarta itself is on Banderas Bay so beaches abound and every tourist guide going points on where Liz and Richard Burton made out!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Second programme in the Marigold series last evening. This time in Havana, Cuba. They changed the four this time to Bobby George, Miriam Margolis, Jan Leeming and Wayne Sleep. It continues to be different and entertaining but I wish Jan Leeming would stop her sad story about not having a man in her life for 14 years. She needs to do a bit of self analysis and think WHY? I certainly could not live with a woman like her. :lol: :lol:

And Miriam claims to have been with the same lesbian partner for 50 years??? Crude, fat, and constantly farting, who would want to live with her?

Funny old world. :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well, Grandad, perhaps birds of a feather? Maybe her partner is also crude, fat and farting! :lol: :D
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have to agree with you both, Miriam is indeed very crude and I think selfish although I think she may overdo the crudeness if she has someone to target, like when Jan Leeming was doing her usual preening about Renaldo saying she was pretty and giving her compliments “he only wants to **** you” she replied which took the smile off her face, but it did make me laugh.

Like Grandad I find her constant self pitying about not having a partner in life a bit tedious, it is quite obvious why from her normal behaviour on the program, she seems to take any remark as an attack on herself, she seems to want adoration from men, but is reluctant to be looked after by one. I think she is too independent to coexist with anyone else and like Grandad I could never live with someone like her.

Wayne Sleep is OK in small doses when he is not trying to dance, I can imagine him being a bit petulant at times. Bobby George comes over as a nice guy, he is very down to earth and I think he may feel a bit out of place with Leeming and Sleep because he comes from a much different background and he sees Marian as a more down to earth person and he can live with all of her crudeness which he sees as an act.

The next one will be interesting with Sheila Ferguson, Paul Nicholas, Dennis Taylor and Rustie Lee in Iceland. Again we have a poseur in Sheila Fergusson who comes across as a Cougar hunting a new husband and not keen to involve herself in anything she sees as unglamorous. Rustie will be laughing her way through and should make Sheila loosen up a bit. Paul Nicholas and Dennis Taylor make a good pair and seem to enjoy each others company and are always good for a laugh. I would like to see a program with Bobby George joining those two guys, it would be quite funny I reckon. Then put Miriam with Jan Leeming and Sheila Fergusson and watch the sparks fly.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Wonderful idea Hours! :lol:

I have noticed that no matter how bizarre Miriam's behaviour or dress her accent doesn't waver. Clear precise upper middle class.

English people are very sensitive to accents, more so than to obvious race or occupation. The wonderful two Ronnies Sketch "I know my place" springs to mind. :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mad Dilys wrote:Wonderful idea Hours! :lol:
English people are very sensitive to accents, more so than to obvious race or occupation. The wonderful two Ronnies Sketch "I know my place" springs to mind. :lol:
I laughed just reading and thinking about your post MD. :lol: They don't make comedy like that and all the other series any more.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I used to love the Two Ronnies. Totally funny. Use to love them.