What makes you smile or even laugh?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

What makes you smile or even laugh?

Post by Mad Dilys »

Fortunately my daughters and grandson have inherited my weird sense of humour. For example affection in a recent text to my daughter referred to her poorly son - "Give Gnasher a poke in the eye from me" or if it's time for Sentimental Slush then she may get "Loads of Hugs and Cuddles with Knobs on, anointed with Unicorn Spit and Covered with Fairy Dust" or something equally bizarre.

Life is often serious or painful and get well soon may be well meant but is impersonal. A ridiculous message that raises a smile I prefer and they do the same for me.

My other daughter gave me a party in an ordinary envelope once - complete with jokes, streamers, a squeaker, paper hat and rude messages. I still smile when I think of it though it was many years ago.

I watched an episode of One Foot in the Grave yesterday and laughed until I cried. Totally ridiculous and made me feel so good.

Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What makes you smile or even laugh?

Post by Horus »

We have similar sense of humour in my family, the other day I had a young female relative of mine squealing with laughter as I described my brothers funeral to her, yes I know it sounds bizarre but it was funny. If my daughter and myself start laughing about something I can usually get her stamping her feet with delight as she starts crying with laughter and jumping around, I only need to say something like “can you remember when ….” and off we go again. Laughter is indeed the best tonic.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Fantastic Horus! I must say my first husband's funeral was a fiasco, but the time we got to the coffin going in the ground even the vicar was trying to hide a smile.

My husband would have appreciated the humour and the laughter at his wake, God bless him.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think the ability to laugh at oneself says so much about a mature well thoughtful and introspective person who appreciates the seriousness of a situation yet can also see the human side of absurdity.

Most things that make me smile or laugh out loud are usually those aspects of life that are incongruous to the absurd but not in a slapstick way. I'm usually savy enough to get the sophisticated play on words attached to a scenario and usually the more complex, subtle and fast something is presented is what usually gets to me first.

I also don't need to actually SEE something in front of me. A good description gets my imagination going and my brain can take it from there to a humorous point where I'm laughing 'til I'm pee-ing myself ;)