More Autumn Leaves

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

More Autumn Leaves

Post by Horus »

Well its an awful day here in my neck of the woods so I thought a few more pictures may brighten your day a little. Yesterday for a change we went to a nearby reservoir at Knypersley, it is quite old having been constructed in 1827, so the surrounding area has naturalised and has mature woodlands around it. I have shown you some photos from here on previous occasions so it may be recognisable although they have usually been taken during the Summer or Spring. It is affectively two lakes that are only separated by a small dam wall that acts as a path between the two, the larger lake is the Knypersley reservoir and the smaller higher lake is called the Serpentine and even today they still provide water to top up the Cauldon Canal which is a branch of the Trent & Mersey Canal. Some small feeders into this body of water are the origins of the river Trent, but it is only below the main dam wall that the official designation becomes the Head of the Trent.

I had intended to maybe have a walk and then call in somewhere for a pub lunch although I had nowhere particular in mind. Again we set off around 12.30 pm after a short 25 minute drive and then parking up next to the lake.

There are lots of mature Beech trees in the surrounding woods so the predominant colour was the golden yellow typical of this tree in Autumn, most other deciduous trees such as Sycamore, Horse Chestnut etc. had already shed their leaves and a deep carpet of brown clothed the bare earth and paths.

As we near the end of the Serpentine pool we can see through the trees to the other side.

I was pleased because the paths were becomming quite muddy and so was I and I was not wearing my boots either!

Eventually we turn the corner at the far end and start our return leg down the opposite side, here we get a nice view of the Serpentine.

You can see here a good example of Witch's Brooms which are masses of densely branched small twigs found amongst the branches of trees and said to resemble a witch's broom. They can be induced by various parasites including the fungus.

There are still signs of woodland wildlife and here and there a shy Squirrel peeks around the trunk of a tree as we pass by. Annie as usual misses nothing and will take up the typical pose when she spots something, her eyesight is amazing and I usually stop and look in the direction of her stare and eventually see what has caught her eye, usually a foraging Squirrel.

People often leave food for the birds which in Summer will flock down on the stone walls and the several small bridges across a stream that parallels the path and a typical watering stop for Annie. Here we met up with a very bold little Squirrel who happily sat on a wall scoffing the peanuts left for the birds

It even let me take a short video clip
MAQ00005.MP4
As we walked on we passed the old Wardens Tower and we turned off into the woods to take a look at the old Witches gathering place of Gawson’s Well that I have told you about before. It was still a gloomy looking place even though the surrounding deciduous foliage had fallen leaving only the circle of old Yew trees. There was still the odd weird items hanging in some branches, a lot less though than on previous visits and it was very muddy.

Annie managed an epic fail whilst jumping across a small stream with slippery muddy banks on each side. She finished up spread eagled on her belly like a little Hippo wallowing in the mud.

That meant a further climb into the woods passing the balancing stone and descending a lot of steps down to the waterfall so I could get her cleaned up a little.

A quick paddle and she was looking a lot cleaner although she needed a hot bath when we arrived back home. This is a lovely spot and in the Summer many keen photographers may be seen standing in the water to get that special shot.

Here is one that I borrowed to show how beautiful it looks and emphasise that it is NOT my own work

Finally the sun was starting to sink low so we headed back home passing this field of grazing Canada Geese as we did so

Rather a lot of images, but something to look at on a dull day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: More Autumn Leaves

Post by Grandad »

Some nice autumn colours there H :up You had really lovely light for most of your pictures giving them a soft 'watercolour' appearance that I really find very attractive. Lovely pictures H but don't tell me they were all with your little compact camera. If so it does a very good job. :up
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes Grandad they were all taken with my little Nikon Coolpix camera which I usually have stuffed into my back pocket. I find it handy as I can also take the video shots if I fancy, usually the pictures are not such decent quality and I find the lack of a viewfinder a pain. I much prefer the quality of my Fuji camera, but it is so heavy to carry around on a walk plus it's a bit cumbersome when you have a little Annie to deal with at the same time ;)

They maybe have that Watercolour look because the images are not so sharp.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lovely photos H. So much greenery and so many places to walk and see the countryside. Quite lovely.

Squirrel was definitely a fearless little guy but he did shoot off quickly at the end. Great technique for cleaning Annie off too :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely photos again Horus :) beautiful autumn colours :)

Shame you didn't have a pub lunch

Does Annie not wear a coat in this snippy weather.

Thanks for sharing :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes Kiya, time restraint and a scummy little dog meant a change of plans regarding a pub lunch ;)
As for a little coat for Annie, well she does have a couple but I never think of putting her one on, she is really quite a tough little thing even though she plays the cuteness card. She is straight into any water whenever she sees it regardless of how cold the weather actually is, the only time she looks a bit miserable is if its raining, she will often stop and shake her head to get rid of the water and keeps up a faster walking speed home. When she was small she had a coat with a high collar that shielded the back of her head, but she looked like Elvis Presley in it :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have not moved further than my backyard today so I will tag on to your thread if you don't mind H. Same subject ;)
We continue to get warm sunny days 'DARN SARF' but the leaves are falling now. Here are a few pictures from the patio of the trees on the embankment.

This is under the little oak tree looking south

This is the sweet chestnut to the north. Already lost the leaved to the top.

And this is the lower chestnut leaves not yet fallen
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The more the merrier Grandad ;) if today is anything to go by we will be getting snow soon, it is really cold today. :vc: I will have to force myself to go up the pub tonight ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Nice photos Grandad.

Are you still using your trail cam?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Nice photos Grandad.

Are you still using your trail cam?
Not often LLL. There hasn't been much of interest lately but now it is getting colder I will switch it on because you don't know who might be searching for food. Foxes will soon be pairing up for the next season. I will know when that happens because they are very vocal in their courtship.

No bears though, that's for certain :lol: :lol: