Amaryllis Challenge??

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Amaryllis Challenge??

Post by Grandad »

I thought it would never happen and as I am feeling a little chuffed I have changed my avatar, again. :up :lol:

Don't give up RS. ;)

:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I gave up a loooooong time ago, Grandad! :D
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

This really will be my last post on this thread but as all four flowers are now open this is where we finally got to before the first flowers drop.
I shall try to save the bulb and get a head start this year. ;)

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Pretty Grandad :) you did much better than me, I didn't even try :( ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Horus @Mad Dilys @LovelyLadyLux

I didn't think I would need to post again on this thread BUT as the flowers on my plant are beginning to wilt I checked the instructions that came with the bulb and this is what it says:
CARE.
After flowering remove the stem leaving the foliage. Place in a bright position (20 - 25C). Feed every week with a liquid fertiliser. At the end of October, in the following year, remove the foliage. Leave the bulb in the original pot indoors in a cool room (13 - 17C). In January next year repot in fresh potting compost.

This is far from clear to me. When the flowers have died off, should I cut the flower stems right back and just leave the few short leaves? Or should I leave the two stems until they dry back? The dates in the instructions are not clear, to me. Should I let the plant dry back over the coming months and then repot around September/October? I would like to get it to bloom again at the end of the year because it has been such a lovely plant.

Thanks for your wisdom that I know will be forthcoming. ;) :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Use a sharp knife like a Stanley blade and carefully slice of the flower stem near to the bulb, lots of sap will drip out, but will soon dry up. Do not remove any leaves at all, keep it indoors and don't let it dry out, water sparingly. As soon as it is possible and frost free put it outside by plunging just the inner pot with the bulb into the soil, do not remove the bulb. If your lucky it will continue to grow in the pot in the soil and build itself up again, the leaves will either continue to grow or they may die back after a few weeks/months. Around mid September lift the pot and take out the bulb, put it somewhere cool and dry and darkish then leave it until mid November and re-pot it and to over start again. You can boost your chances by watering and feeding the bulb when growing outside.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I agree Horus that's the usual advice. :up

However as the bulbs I have differ so very widely in their manner of growth having flowered i.e. two have no leaves and two have luxuriant leaves nearly 4 ft long I'm going to try something new.

Will report my findings at the start of next season, if they haven't been completely eaten by the slugs and snails like last years bulbs I put outside. :(
Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Grandad wrote:This really will be my last post on this thread but as all four flowers are now open this is where we finally got to before the first flowers drop.
I shall try to save the bulb and get a head start this year. ;)

Beautiful plant Grandad. Not too leggy and six flowers on the head! None of my Red Lions performed so well. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I did that with a bulb on one occasion and the results were iffy, the leaves lasted throughout the Summer then I lifted and made the bulb dormant again. It did flower the following year, but the flower was small and weak, I think the biggest problem is getting the bulb to build itself back up again after flowering.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks Horus that sounds more sensible and easy to follow advice than what was printed on the carton. Having finally had some success I will try a few more from the supermarket next season. They really are stunning blooms :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I will try and keep Superstar going but am not quite as sure about Minerva as even professionally prepared it didn't produce a bloom too worthy of note.

Will type much more once am off this virtual keyboard but I totally agree with H that the biggest obstacle to get past is building up the bulb again.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Now that I'm home I can see that Superstar is still in full bloom (the 3rd stalk) and the leaves (only 2) are about 2" & 3" high respectively. Was pleasantly surprised that Superstar is still going strong.

Minerva on the other hand had a shriveled flower stalk (not yet toppled over but real close). Two of the leaves were long, yellow and withered and the third not looking that much better. I've cut the flower off but Minerva is now relegated to the garage pending I decide what I want to do with it. MIGHT try and continue to grow it as the bulb is hard but overall is just doesn't seem to be too robust.

Superstar is going to be a 'for sure' try and keep him growing through to next year.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I could not resist buying a Crinium Powelli when I was at the garden centre. Same family as Amaryllis but flowers late summer and is OK outside with temperatures to -10C reputedly :tk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - I had to Google you plant - crinum powelli as I'd not heard of it before. Very pretty and it definitely does look related to an amaryllis and that is a huge bonus if it will last in temperatures that low. I'll have to have a look for one here but I'm fairly definite I've not seen one before. I don't cruise the garden center that often but I am there ;) and usually looking and poking through the plants.

Did you get a pink one or a white one?

I still haven't gotten to a garden center to even think about begonia bulbs as we've been besieged with snow and it is snowing again today (have the annual mammogram scheduled so will have to brave it to go there but will then return straight home)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cr ... ORM=IQFRBA
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have very occasionally seen them in pots at Garden Centres, but not often and the bulbs never before, so I jumped at the chance. On the label it is pink, though I didn't have a choice of colours that is what I would prefer.

It's a big heavy bulb - with a tiny baby attached! Couldn't resist it even though it cost the same as 10 plump begonia tubers. :oops:

On an Amaryllis note the some of the leaves on my first blooming plant are now 4ft 3ins long all of the others are very long and catching up. I've never had them that size before.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My Superstar amaryllis is very slow in growing leaves. It has 3 leaves coming out on one side of the flower stalk that are about 2" high with BROWN splotches on then while the other side has only 1 leaf that is a very pale green. Tomorrow am going to move the whole plant close to daylight to see if that will help with leaf growth and chorophyl making but I have other plants behind these that are doing real well.

Mostly I'm more concerned with these tiny brown bits on the leaf. I want to see big dark green strapping leaves coming out. Not light coloured leaves that fall over after they're about 12" long (Minerva did that so is now slowly dying in the garage).
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I lied :oops:

When I was watering the bulb jungle, all of which have flowered including two Red Lion Amaryllis chosen for seed for my daughter's garden, I noticed that one, which had a very short thick flower stem has about 18" leaves and the other with a thick flower stem of 32" has one leaf of only 10" so they aren't all of tremendous length. :urm:

I don't think the little leaves are because of the seeds 'cos last year I saved seed from all of them for my local garden club and they were normally long.

I chose these two particular bulbs for seed this year as they had strong stems not needing support. I wasn't very impressed with the flower size or number, but if it is to survive outside in a frost free environment I want something tough.

I may also be lying about something else :oops:

I mentioned before that I saw a bed of Amaryllis in Ibiza - I think they might be Criniums, not sure about the flowering time out there. It was certainly late for Amaryllis and very similar pink flowers. :tk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This was the status of my amaryllis last night. The leaves are hardly moving and the couple that have come out a little bit have holes and rotting bits on them.

My past experience is that the leaves grow up quickly and fast and are quite dark green. They've sometimes broken over when they get really long but they grow fast. The leafs on Minerva were very pale and shriveled too and flopped over as there was no strength in the leaf (actually Minerva hit the bin last night as IMO not worth the effort at saving).

Not sure what is up with the leaves on Superstar but if they don't grow the bulb will get no strength. The flowers were so magnificent I am wanting to try and keep this one growing.

BTW - the name tag is still on the bulb but it isn't tight or pinching or doing anything like that.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Just a small point, but I was taught not to cut back the stems on bulbs if they are wanted for next year.
So I always just cut of the flower head, leaving the stem until it is completely wilted. The same with the leaves which I also leave on until completely wilted, never cutting green near the bulb. It's too easy for infection to enter the bulb itself without helping it on its way.

I am committed to keeping the leaves on this year and will not remove them it they are still there at the time for re-planting. So there may be old leaves there when the new ones start to come. Of course withered and dry remains can be cut off. This way I'm hoping to increase the size of the bulb for next time.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - hmmm - interesting points. I cut the flower stalk off close to the bulb once the flowers faded. Superstar had 3 flower stems. I could have left them on but it didn't dawn on me to do that.

I have a stick in the pot (you can just see it in the picture) and it has branches that I tied the flower stock up to and have left it in cause I was going to do the same (loosely) with the leaves so they could grow for as long as possible 'cept these leaves are looking half diseased (or something). They're not growing hardly at all nor are they looking deep dark healthy green and they should cause they're getting lots of daylight (not direct sun light).

I've always had great long strapping amaryllis leaves and some of them have lasted a long time but, of course, the one I want to grow is doing nada!

Guess time will tell.

This fall when I get another amaryllis I'm thinking I'm going to plant it in a one gallon sized pot and I'm going to plant it in primo soil (not that this soil is bad) but I'm not going to shove a huge bulb into a tiny pot.