Amaryllis Challenge??

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Amaryllis Challenge??

Post by Mad Dilys »

I haven't opened the box yet Grandad, nor read the directions. :oops: I expect that it will be the same as Horus's and the ones I had last year.

If so, I shall take it out of the pot, which I found too small for the abundance of leaves and flowers. I will re-pot it in a larger size
and better growing medium. Because I want it to stay in that pot until it dries off next summer, I think I'll spend a bit of time and effort in it's environment.

I have to go back to the bank in 10 days or so, by then I might even have more in my collection, if not I'll try the Tesco Metro again. :a20: :a4:

Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:a27: Glad you have managed to join in MD :up all we need now is RS and Kiya. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Sorry MD. When you said one was 2 ounces heavier than the other I thought you was talking about the bulbs.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Here s the latest updates on my Amaryllis bulbs.

Group picture of all 4 together, on the right is the ‘Monster’ still going full bore.
Centre is the Amazon bulb ‘Tres Chic’
Left is the Tesco ‘Christmas White’
Centre Front is the latest Tesco bulb ‘Red Lion’

Close up of the Monster which is now 7” in height with two very strong looking flower spikes.

The Amazon bulb (same as Grandads) has suddenly burst open at the sides of the slow growing damaged leaves and revealed a couple of what look to be flower spikes.

The first Tesco bulb is now at a height of 4” with about 5 healthy looking leaves

This is the latest Tesco bulb of only 2 days and at the present time it is just a dead and withered top.

My daughter tells me that the cheap food outlet Aldi have them in at £2.99 :o so if they are a boxed kit of bulb, compost and pot then I have told her to pick me one up and I can compare theirs to the others I have.:up

Finally a quick shot of one of my Moth Orchids that is partially in flower, I have 4 different ones and they tend to flower out of sync to each other, this one will still be in flower over Christmas.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Have been having a devil of a time getting ON E4U this morning.

Anyway - was out yesterday and down to the lumber yard (wanted a fancy knob for the table I got from the dump) and lo and behold they had a display of loose amaryllis bulbs so am therefore introducing...........(drum roll)...........THE SUPERSTAR!!

It was a loose bulb and bigger than Minerva the first one I planted this year but it is similar in that it is also variegated. Have it planted and setting on the counter :) All the bulbs had 'tips' and some already had one or two inches of grown so this one looked the most dormant but like all amaryllis once it gets moving it'll take off ;)

This is Minerva today

And, while I was in the garden section of the lumber yard I saw these Christmas cactus. They had the regular whites (which I've never successfully grown) and pinks. These are like an apricot yellow. The plant looked health and all the buds were very pink turning to a waxy light apricot colour once opened.

Couldn't help myself for $3.98 I had to have one. Most Christmas cactus are hardy and do well outside here all summer so I now have one of these for the table for Christmas.

My big old dark pink/red Christmas cactus is just starting to bud out now so hopefully it will also be in full bloom for Christmas this year. :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I reckon you maybe have 'Monster 2' with that new bulb LLL :D it certainly looks a good healthy one :up
Love that Christmas Cactus, great colour, must think of getting myself one although I do like the red variety.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thanks H

Superstar was bigger and firmer than Minerva but Minerva came in a box kit. Both were the same price but I had to have my own container and soil (no problem) for Superstar. There were a few in the open bins and not many left so am thinking the lumber store must have had them in for a while. They have a small garden section and I do usually look through it but haven't been to this store for a while.

Am hoping the apricot Christmas cactus takes hold and does well. Over the years I've had huge pink/red Christmas cactus and while I've bought white ones they've just never grown that well for me and I've ended up tossing them or giving them away as they just look super bedraggled. Hoping this apricot one isn't highly hybridized and will grow big and lush.

Love you orchid. I still have the two I bought (around $12 each if memory serves and NOW orchids same size in same stores are $25!) but neither has bloomed again. They've each sent out another leaf and one has sent out 2 ariel roots but that is about it. Maybe this spring they'll feel the need to throw out a few flowers.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, all of my Moth Orchids each flower on about a 6 month cycle, they are more or less inactive for 3 months then over the next 3 months they produce a woody flower stem, then the buds develop and flower over about 6 weeks or more, the flowers are very long lasting.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My two orchids have now just sat for about a year and haven't done much of anything at all. New leaf but that is about it. I've been thinking lately I should try flushing some 20-20-20 fertilizer over then to see if that would prompt them into doing something, anything - just grow a wee bit.

They both look healthy, are nice and green but no sight of any flower bracts or anything like that.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You could try the fertiliser route and maybe changing the position they are in light wise.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've thought they might like more or less light. Interestingly this house has lots of windows so lots of light but the back windows do get direct sun (course WHAT is that?)! so plants will burn in that back window but the front and side windows just get lots of light.

I was actually thinking of moving them outside come spring to the front table so that they're in shade (barely) so as much LIGHT as possible - I mean 12" forward and you're in full daytime sun.

One thing that I have noticed here is that the price of orchids in 4" pots has double since I bought these. No idea why it has doubled - hurricanes in the Caribbean and/or southern states destroyed the greenhouses where they come from? (My only guess).

I've got Minerva and Superstar on the end of the dining room table right now - enough daylight they don't LEAN towards the light (but I'm also thinking I'm going to find a few small plant stakes next time I'm down in the shed so as to prop up the flower stalks COZ I know MY flower heads will be HUGE! ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Slightly off subject but has anyone read The Orchid Thief? I read it some years ago several times I really enjoyed it.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have heard of the title, but never read the book.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hmm - I think I've heard that title too but haven't read the book either. Was it written by the same author who wrote "The Kite Runner"?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

No, it's by Susan Orlean. I think this sums it up basically.

"The Orchid Thief is based on Orlean's investigation of the 1994 arrest of John Laroche and a group of Seminoles in south Florida for poaching rare orchids in the Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve. The book is based on an article that Orlean wrote for The New Yorker, published in the magazine's January 23, 1995 issue. Plant dealer Laroche was determined to find and clone the rare ghost orchid for profit. Along the way, Orlean becomes fascinated with ghost orchids and meets many orchid enthusiasts[1]. In their and Laroche's struggles and oddities, she gets a glimpse of true passion for the first time in her life."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Orchid_Thief

I must say that the "Passion" mentioned above is not sexual for a change........ ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Here is the latest Group photo: I am going to have to start adding some support for the leaves on the Monster :o
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I'm keeping shtum! :lol:
Is the one front left your Amazon purchase H? If so, mine looks the same. :(
:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

OH dear, Grandad! :( How about we found a society for those who DON'T have green thumbs? I knew without a shadow of a doubt that an amaryllis plant would take one look at me and shrivel!
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

If you aren't careful Ruby, I'll have a word with Secret Santa and you'll find one on your doorstep! ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad wrote:I'm keeping shtum! :lol:
Is the one front left your Amazon purchase H? If so, mine looks the same. :(
Grandad the Amazon purchase is the one in the middle nearest the window, the nearest one on its own is only a week old.