Obesity

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Obesity

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I see that obesity is in the news again, mainly children this time. When I was a nipper, fat kids were a rarity, so can we really blame this now on the social revolution that sees both parents at work, and too tired to cook when they get home? Lack of exercise - although most parents seem to organize their kids' leisure time with after school activities etc., - is blamed too as a high factor in child obesity, although children seem more organized these days than we were. Do fat kids automatically grow up to be overweight adults? Are any of us on here obese - and what exactly is meant by 'obese'? :ni:

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Obesity

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think part of the obesity issue is that our food is FULL of chemicals vs just plain regular food I ate as a kid, kids are not allowed to run free like I did as a kid (helicopter parenting now), soda pops (i.e. Cola/Pepsi type drinks) are super common and technology wifi cyber games keep kids sitting vs running around. Lastly now too sports are super expensive and, of course, you can't play unless you have ALL the equipment. Mostly I'm saying this sarcastically as I used to play most anything without proper shoes/clothes/equipment whereas nowadays there are so many safety rules & regs plus peer pressure to have only the latest and greatest that lots of kids opt to sit on the sidelines and watch (some because they can't afford the gear and others because they think they can't play unless they have absolutely all the right equipment)

I do think obese kids are obese adults. Some may slim down but I think how you live as a child moves into how you live as a adult. Once a couch potato always a couch potato.

I saw something very similar here re: Canadian kids and obesity just on the TV News in the last day or so.

The twins are skinny somewhat wirey guys while their sister is basically just 'normal' (not skinny but definitely not fat either - she is about right).

I could probably stand to lose another 10 pounds but ??? MIGHT think about losing it soon ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I was very underweight as a youngster only really putting on weight in my late 40s. I then had half my thyroid removed - and have since found it very difficult to move weight.

Currently I am just one point into obesity, unable to exercise and on a very limited diet because I have no appetite owing to current health problems. I really have to have a regime at the moment of eating 4 times a day a small balanced meal and it's really tough trying to get it down. I guess eventually my weight will reduce which will be a good thing anyway. :up

My sister was very thin until middle age and she too had thyroid problems.
Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Ruby Slippers wrote:I see that obesity is in the news again, mainly children this time. When I was a nipper, fat kids were a rarity, so can we really blame this now on the social revolution that sees both parents at work, and too tired to cook when they get home? Lack of exercise - although most parents seem to organize their kids' leisure time with after school activities etc., - is blamed too as a high factor in child obesity, although children seem more organized these days than we were. Do fat kids automatically grow up to be overweight adults? Are any of us on here obese - and what exactly is meant by 'obese'? :ni:
Body Mass index is calculated by dividing your height in centimetres by your weight in kilos and then the answer is divided again by your weight to find the BMI.
Currently Mine is 31 - over 30 is obese. In my teens just after my father died and I had difficulty eating it was 9 :o - obviously anorexic.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Mmm. Don't think that method quite works for me, MD. Just checked and it seems I am the perfect weight for my height! Well, I never expected anything else! ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

MD, I think your BMI calc is incorrect. My understanding is that BMI = weight in kilos/height in metres squared.
My weight is 108 kilos. My height is 1.85 metres. So 108/1.85x1.85 = about 31. (Less than I said on another thread because I had forgotten that there are 14 pounds in a stone, not 16)
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Quite possibly Grandad - Mr Google sometimes gets his facts wrong - but strangely enough when I calculated your way it wasn't hugely different at 32 instead of 32. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I'll have to work on that before bedtime MD. I can feel a quadratic equation coming on. :lol: Or a bit of differential calculus......whatever turns you on, I say. Good night. :zz :zz
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys MD, I am afraid that you may have read the BMI detail incorrectly or your maths is not what it used to be, but no way can you get to 32 by your method. For my weight and height it comes out to 0.0159. Now that doesn't look like the 31 that I know it is. ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm sure you are right Grandad, and I can't find the original site that I quoted now. It really doesn't matter, I'm obese and that's enough to make me very careful with diet and exercise as far as I am able. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

And so am I :lol: :lol: