Never trust a Cornishman

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Never trust a Cornishman

Post by Horus »

“Never trust a Cornish-man” that’s what I say and why is that? you may well ask.
Well simply put, whilst I was staying near the town of Bala in North Wales on our latest little outing with Annie and myself in my touring caravan, I asked the site manager if there was a dog friendly pub nearby where I could get my lunch. “Ooh Aaar” he replied, “just go back to the main road and go straight across, through the village of Llandderfel then e turns left up the hill and its on your roit and the more dogs the merrier” says he. So off I went, Annie securely strapped into her harness on the passenger seat, then across the main road and followed my nose. Very soon the road started to narrow and snake with sharp bends and twists and me fearing whatever would come around the next bend, when it finally did I had to close in the wing mirrors to avoid losing them as we passed perilously close to each other, fortunately they both work off a switch on the door panel so could be done swiftly. Eventually we arrived at the pub only to find it was more like a tourist restaurant and therefore not somewhere to take your dog, so I headed back towards Bala keeping to the main road which hardly took any longer than the recommended ‘short cut’ did. :x

On the next occasion I asked him if he knew the location of some ‘standing stones’ that I believed were in this area. For those not familiar, these standing stones or ‘menhir’ (men stones) as they are often called usually date from the megalithic period of man’s history and places like Stonehenge are good examples, the single stones are often erected at places of ritual significance or near burial mounds. Once again I was given similar instructions, “Ooh Aaar, follow the lane up the hill, pass the cottage and look e for a footpath sign on the roit, but it is all marshy up there if the rushes are any indication, so you will need your wellies”. No problem I thought as I have my ‘cut off’ wellie boots that come up to my ankles, so should be OK. So off we went, up the narrow lane, passing the cottage on our right and arrived at a farm gate with a footpath sign pointing up the hill. At first glance this looked very interesting, lots of rocky outcrops and the definite outline of a long lost sunken lane or road bordered by very large stones and in places lined with trees. As I continued up the hill there were piles of boulders with trees growing out of them, probably indicating some ancient habitation, the remoteness of the area and my imagination had Druids meeting in the small grove close by.

While my attention was diverted in reverie I had not noticed Annie had decided to rub her head in a pile of sheep s**t just for the fun of it, “you scummy little dog” I yelled at her whilst prodding her away with my stick, although she seemed indifferent to my chastisement. Further on our way was blocked by an inconsiderate farmer who had made the stile on the footpath right of way unusable, but by now I had had enough searching for the elusive stone and started to make my way back again. A while later I spotted a large marshy area filled with rushes and some way in I could see a large pile of boulders, maybe it was the remains of a neolithic burial mound and the place I was looking for. It was also a good opportunity to get Annie cleaned up a little by going through the long wet rushes. She does not like long grass or rough areas as she has short legs, but will always follow in my footsteps regardless of where I go, so off we set towards the stones. Annie was more scummy than ever and I had soaking wet jeans and wet feet as the bog water came over my short wellies, but eventually we reached the stones. Getting closer I was not very impressed as they just resembled a pile of boulders so I took a few photo’s and we made our way back again, Annie covered in mud and sheep s**t and me sloshing along in my waterlogged boots.

After forcing Annie under a cold water tap at the site and then bathing her in a plastic bowl using my own shampoo and then rinsing her off with a kettle full of water (needs must) I then changed out of my own wet gear. “Did e find it OK” came the jolly call as he passed me later in the day, I told him that I had, but that to me it just resembled a large pile of boulders and then showed him my photographs. “Aah that be roit” “that be just a big pile o boulders” He then explained that I had not gone far enough along the road despite me observing all his given landmarks and then he told me it was easily visible from the road as you drive past! :a23: ’strewth! that’s the last time I ask him for any advice.

A long and winding road

Starting up the hill

Following the sunken lane

Where Druids congregate?

The mysterious boulder pile in a swamp

'Sheep Sh*t' the dog :st

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Never trust a Cornishman

Post by Grandad »

What is a Cornishman doing in North Wales I have to ask? Sounds as if he followed his own directions at some time, got lost, and stayed there :lol: But it got you out in the fresh air H and that can't be bad.

Did you meet up with the folks from Isle of Sheppey as you told us earlier that that was a plan? And how did you find Welsh ale? As good as the Burton brews?

Hope you enjoyed your trip and any more anecdotes will be welcome, it has been a bit quiet around here, haven't even mentioned Kim Jong Un threatening to blow up America :o What was that bang :o
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I saw an advertisement for toilet rolls with a picture of Trump pursing his lips in a faux kiss. I was tempted to buy some. ;)

But decided not to contaminate myself. :stp
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lovely photos but the "rocks" are/were rather disappointing. I don't think I'd be too happy if I walked all that way to find a couple rocks along a shallow ditch either.

Am sure Annie would have been more than pleased to have deferred her bath 'til you got back home. A girl does LOVE her perfume you know.

Be really interesting if it was possible to skim off a couple to three meters of topsoil from everywhere. Really do wonder what is underneath it all.

I WILL be first in line to see the bottoms of the oceans.........and, if that isn't possible I'd LOVE to see what is at the bottom of the English Channel, Mediterranean and all the waterways there.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely photos Horus :) was just thinking while reading your post of the land around your walk...are you not scared to come across any bogs & slip into it never to be seen again..............& only found a thousand years later in good nick with your wee dog.

Maybe I watch to many docu's ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya wrote:Lovely photos Horus :) was just thinking while reading your post of the land around your walk...are you not scared to come across any bogs & slip into it never to be seen again..............& only found a thousand years later in good nick with your wee dog.

Maybe I watch to many docu's ;)
:lol: :lol: I do sometimes finish up in some out of the way places Kiya, even my daughter said "you would not get me going in there for a gold clock" after I showed her this recent clip of me short-cutting through an old churchyard at midnight on my latest trip out. :D not very good quality as I was using my torch to see the way. ;)
Spooky.MP4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Ooooo now that is creepy, not sure I would do it but, maybe with someone with me :o ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I get a message 'This plugin is not supported' and I cannot open it. Any clues H?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You need to download 'Quicktime' Grandad, its free.
https://support.apple.com/kb/dl837?locale=en_GB
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

HaHa! No worries H. You had your guard dog with you. :up :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad wrote:HaHa! No worries H. You had your guard dog with you. :up :lol:
Funny thing is Grandad, the following evening going down a pitch black road she suddenly launched herself up on her back legs straining at her leash and was snarling at something in the dark, seconds later a man in dark clothes walked past me only inches away, but she had seen him and was ready to go into attack mode. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Cute video H! It IS that time of year for the Spookies to come out! :) Good one :)