What is in a name?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

What is in a name?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The latest NEWS here that is "front page" stuff - We are finally getting two garbage trucks! Maybe that is a rather mundane thing where you're at but here it is big big big! TWO, count 'em - TWO garbage trucks now for the city to pick up the garbage!

In some cities with zoos there are contests to name the newest baby tiger or gorilla. Lots of ewwws and awwws. HERE our city is sponsoring a contest to NAME each of the garbage trucks.

I'm starting to seriously think there is something seriously wrong with us here when we have to have contests to name our garbage trucks or we're all terribly bored or something...........anyway......such is the excitement here.

Any thoughts on what you'd name a garbage truck?

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What is in a name?

Post by Grandad »

Stinky and Pongy :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Nooo! Not fair to our wonderful dustmen.................. I'd call them Clean & Tidy after our helpful chaps.
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mad Dilys wrote:Nooo! Not fair to our wonderful dustmen.................. I'd call them Clean & Tidy after our helpful chaps.

I thought we were naming the vehicles not the 'Local Authority Recycling Operatives'. How dare you call them 'Bin Men' MD ;) ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Mad Dilys wrote:Nooo! Not fair to our wonderful dustmen.................. I'd call them Clean & Tidy after our helpful chaps.
I called them DUSTMEN from habit, ;) though nothing wrong with "Bin Men" for these Cardiff chaps. I have lived in 7 different areas of England with I must admit mostly "collectors" who didn't care about the litter left and seemed to endure a horrid job.

Apologies in advance for forthcoming ramble as I'm enjoying an opportunity to use my new laptop. :oops:

Here's an example of the ones who collect from me now. When I moved here, the house was in a pretty chaotic state as Roger the Bodger and his ilk had been "restoring" the house in my daughter's absence. In the Kitchen, lying on the once polished dark hardwood floor, lay a bag of cement. It had been torn open in the middle and had long since completely solidified. Of course the floor was covered in smears and footprints where someone had made an abortive effort to wipe them away.

The huge pile of paint cans full and empty and other builders refuse were removed by a clearing company - but they wouldn't take the bag of cement. So with the help of a friend we put it into a black bin bag and put it in the front garden pro tem with out other rubbish. The rubbish wasn't collected the first week - the second week I asked a chap collecting my neighbour's bags and he told me that it had to be put on the narrow footpath or it wouldn't be collected as they were not allowed to go into gardens. So I passed the bags over the low wall as I thanked him. He pointed to the cement bag and I explained what it contained. He did no more than come into the garden pick it up and take it balanced on one hand to the truck. All this with a smile!

Now we get separate scheduled collections for re-cycle, household rubbish and garden rubbish. The narrow road is blocked by the wagon as the men run from house to house. I look out for them as I go round the town and from early morning to late afternoon they are on the run. My goodness they are fit, so unlike the dustmen of my youth who only worked mornings and left a trail of debris behind them.

5 stars to Cardiff Dustmen. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Our "Dustmen" are (ahem) Garbage Collectors and prima donnas to boot. The list of what they will NOT do by far exceeds what they WILL do and if you cross them at all (ie put yard waste into the garbage (which they seem to examine) they have the power to BAN your house forever more from having its garbage picked up which leave the home owner having to figure out where to dump their garbage.....NOT an easy task.

So far I've heard of only 1 name to have come forward for the Dump trucks which will be new and automated with a mechanical arm - Trashosaurus Rex. The 'contest' still has time to run though so maybe more names will appear.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sometimes I wonder with ALL the events of the world that WE focus on names for Garbage trucks as front page news.......... :tk :tk

The NAMES advanced so far: Nom Nom, Harbour City Crusher, Mommy Sanitary Claws, Professor Trashy, Crushasaurus Rex, Ultra Garbatron, Truck Norris, Optimus Grime, Obi One Can Only (WHICH kinda reflects the mentality here as we are only allowed ONE can) and Art Garbagefunkle.......

The only thing WORSE than having this on the front page of the newspaper is ME copying it! ;) ;) ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I love it when they ask the public to name things, the last time we were asked to suggest a name for a new Polar Research vessell the winner was "Boaty MacBoat Face" :lol: :lol: that'll teach em ;)
I quite like 'Truck Norris' and 'Obi one bin only' :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm with you Horus, I immediately thought of Boaty McBoatface and wondered if I could pinch the idea for the truck, but it didn't scan somehow.

I was delighted to see that one of the smaller vessels attached to the big new boat was indeed called Boaty McBoatface. I love it. :up :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

They did have to ditch the idea and named it 'Sir Richard Attenborough' instead which was OK as he deserves the accolade, but I think the small boat was just named 'Boaty' which was a bit of a cop out without the 'MacBoatface' bit IMO :D
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Oh, memory lag - I thought they put the whole thing , so yes I agree Horus a complete cop out. :td
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:They did have to ditch the idea and named it 'Sir Richard Attenborough' instead which was OK as he deserves the accolade, but I think the small boat was just named 'Boaty' which was a bit of a cop out without the 'MacBoatface' bit IMO :D
Sir RICHARD Attenborough ????
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sorry, should have said DAVID his nicer brother ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I never knew Sir R had a brother named David........

Living here on the Island we have to have something to ponder and think about and I guess there is nothing better than spending hours thinking up names for a Garbage truck 'cept to spend hours thinking up names for TWO garbage trucks.

Personally I rather favour "Arm a getting" myself
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux LLL, David Attenborough has been presenting some of the best wildlife programs for around 50 years. I am sure that some of these BBC productions will have found their way to Canada but maybe you didn't associate David with his 'Luvvy' brother Richard.

This 1978 film is one that most people remember for Davids wildlife programs, particularly the gorilla sequence at about 1 minute 50 seconds into the vid..
phpBB [video]
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I remember the gorilla one well :) can hardly believe it's so long ago now :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ohh - THAT DAVID ....... I know him well but didn't make the association between Richard and David. And yes David's productions are here. Love 'em lots ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I just know y'all have been dying to know what we named our two new Garbage Trucks.

The votes are in and have been tallied and "Mommy" and "Trash-o-saurus" are the winners!

I'm glad it is now finally settled as I've been losing sleep over these results myself ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)