Board index » GENERAL » General Discussions and Rants

Post subject: Latest Phone Scam
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:56 am  |  Posted from: Canada

Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Topics: 1922
Arcade Highscores: 1
Canada
Not that I've experienced this personally but if this IS the latest scam I guess I can see how it could be used. This is me cutting and pasting the article:

Phone scams are getting trickier and trickier. It’s gotten so bad that some people are using methods to block all calls coming from someone who isn’t in their contact list. But they’re risking missing important calls from people who don’t regularly contact them.
There’s a recent — and incredibly malicious — phone scam, though, that you can identify within the first several seconds of a call. Just listen for the stranger on the other end say four key words

According to MSN, phone scammers are now asking unsuspecting people “Can you hear me?” right at or near the beginning of a call. If you reply “yes,” you’ve been snared into their scheme.
What they’re doing is recording your “yes” reply as a verbal confirmation they can use to access your personal accounts, change your settings, make purchases, and steal your information. As EurWeb describes, your voice saying “yes” is essentially a voice signature that thieves can use to access your life.

I guess the solution is to just hang up or saying something like "maybe" or just grunt if you think the call might be a bit legit.

Post subject: Re: Latest Phone Scam
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:52 am  |  Posted from: United Kingdom

Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Topics: 398
Arcade Highscores: 0
United Kingdom
That would be SO easy to fall victim of LLL. Thanks for the warning. :up

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:26 am  |  Posted from: United Kingdom

Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Topics: 56
Arcade Highscores: 4
Thank you! I have had a lot of calls asking if I am my daughter or her ex, that I can understand as they used to live here and pay for services, Phone, TV etc. But I don't and I get lots opening by asking if they are speaking to Mrs. * ******* . Since my doctor, my chemist and the hospital to name but three do phone me from time to time using the house phone of course until recently I have said Yes.

As I wondered how strangers were getting my house number when I so rarely use it, I had started to answer with "why"? Then "I'm not interested" if that is appropriate. :stp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:03 pm  |  Posted from: United Kingdom

Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Topics: 398
Arcade Highscores: 0
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, technology has opened the door to scum around the world who find any opportunity to relieve you of your cash. About 2 years ago TalkTalk were 'attacked' and many personal customer details were stolen. No bank details but phone and email. Ever since, I regularly get a call with heavy Indian accents 'Good morning, I am calling from TalkTalk'. 'Oh no you are not, p*ss off' and I switch off.
Unfortunately these come up as UK numbers on my caller display BUT as they originate from abroad I cannot block them with Caller Preference. I do have call blocking but they use a different number every time, so no point.
MD, we also get the appointment reminder calls from the doc and hospital. Normally they will make reference to our upcoming appointment BEFORE we have to confirm DoB which seems better because you have the chance to confirm information that a scammer would probably not know.
It's a minefield out there :xx