IMS

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

IMS

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lately or precisely about the last 3 to 4 yrs I've been having some pain in my right side and hip that from time to time seems to flare up and then will subside down. In the good old days I could walk forever but lately after a mile or so I sometimes start to gimp. I Have been to the Doctors, had xrays taken and it shows I have some (not sure exactly what 'some' denotes) but I have some arthritis in my hips and lower back. Apparently nothing major and the tacit implication is "it is all in my head" 'cept it is in my side and hurts.

On my own I initially went to a Sports Therapist who tried manipulation and then electrical stimulation but the only effect was to lighten my waller. Then I opted for acupuncture as it is one medical intervention I believe in 100% and know it really does work.

I had it on my hips, lower back and neck for the pain in my side and while it seems to provide a momentary cure sooner or later everything comes back to aches & pains that ebb and flow and flare and subside so tomorrow I'm going for IMS Acupuncture.

This is which is: Intramuscular Stimulation (IMS) is very effective for problems due to a type of problem known as neuropathic pain. With neuropathic pain, nerves malfunction following minor irritation. Nerves and nerve endings become extremely sensitive and cause innocent, harmless signals to be exaggerated and misinterpreted as painful ones. This characteristic is known medically as hypersensitivity. The result is pain. This minor malfunction of a nerve cannot be measured using standard medical tests; therefore tests often show nothing wrong. Until recently, hypersensitivity has received little attention in medical circles.

Although IMS uses implements adapted from traditional acupuncture, it is based on scientific, neurophysiological principles. The acupuncture needle used is very thin (much thinner than the hollow needle used to inject medicine or take blood). You may not even feel it penetrating the skin, and if your muscle is normal, the needle is painless. However, a shortened, supersensitive muscle will ‘grasp’ the needle in what can be described as a cramping sensation. The result is threefold. One, a stretch receptor in the muscle is stimulated, producing a reflex relaxation (lengthening). Two, the needle also causes a small injury that draws blood to the area, initiating the natural healing process. Three, the treatment creates an electrical potential in the muscle to stimulate the nerve to function normally again.
When competently performed, IMS has a remarkable success rate, as proven by the amelioration of symptoms and signs, even for chronic back pain with nerve root signs. The technique is also unequalled for finding and diagnosing muscle shortening in deep muscles. IMS is effective and has few side-effects.

Hopefully hopefully hopefully this is going to be the answer and I can eliminate the pain in my side + hip once and for all. Not intending on continuing to AGE anything less than gracefully and that isn't with a pinching gimping pain.

Will report back how it goes (am optimistic).

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: IMS

Post by Grandad »

WOW! LLL, you described all that very well.

I have never been a believer in accupuncture or any of its variations. I don't have personal experience but my son in law has suffered for years with a back problem. Probably a sports injury from many years ago.
He spent a small fortune with a chiropractor but as there was no improvement (over more than a year) he decided to try the needles. He did that for another long period and as he got no relief he is now back with NHS to see (again) what they can do.

I am afraid that for some aches and pains there is no solution and pain killers become the last resort. I do hope that you are able to get some relief but don't raise your hopes too high.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - I recall you saying in another previous post some time back that your son-in-law has had acupuncture with no real results. That is really unfortunate. I've always found acupuncture to really work for me.

Went yesterday and did the intake and preliminary physical and the therapist advised that my pelvis was twisted/shifted with the right side (where the pain is) pointing down and should have been straight. This creates the sensation of bursitis but it is really ligaments pulling and rubbing over muscles/bone and inflaming which was interesting to know as I'd self-diagnosed I had bursitis or arthritis.

Had to lay on my stomach while he raised my leg up, put it on his knee and then shoved down on my hip. Then I had to press down and after third go 'round I heard or felt a "click"!

We then did the IMS and WOW did my tired muscles ever GRAB the needles on insertion into muscle. Up one side, across my shoulders & neck and then lie there for 20 minutes. Felt them again when he removed them which is quite different from regular acupuncture where you feel nothing.

When the needles were removed the overall feeling was as if I'd just complete an extreme exercise set with extremely tired muscles. Instructions being NOT to try and stretch out the muscles but rather just take it easy for the rest of the day.

Need to repeat this pattern for the next three weeks and should note improvement after each set. If there is no improvement by the fourth session then this type of acupuncture isn't really going to work for me.

This morning my hip is feeling much better in that the pain has shifted from the side to the back of my butt with a sensation of a pulled muscle. Shoulders and neck are tender but I think better. Will be back to see him next Friday for 'round two.

The BATTLE against the march of time and resulting wear and tear on me ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I hope the procedure works for you LLL. Keep us updated. :up
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am feeling pretty good today. My shoulder isn't sore but my neck (at the base) still feels a bit tender. My hip isn't aching like it normally has but still too soon to tell. Regular acupuncture often made me feel temporarily ok but sooner or later I went back to normal which is now defined as having an ache in my hip.

Heading back next week for appointment #2.

I didn't really realize when I had this past procedure for the first time that after it is done you're supposed to go home and take it easy. I was scheduled to volunteer at the local Blood Donor Clinic and, my luck, we were two people down which means I was 'on the run' the entire time so was really overly sore sore sore by the time I got home.

Next appointment time it will be more like normal cause I've booked me to have a one on one with my chair + TV for the rest of the day :) after I'm pin cushioned.

@Grandad - it is too bad acupuncture didn't work for your son-in-law. I see it as a definite cure all for aches and pains and it really has been highly successful with me.

Will keep you posted on IMS ;) ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I had acupuncture at the cottage hospital where I lived in Kent and he was fantastic. However other practitioners have not been so good.

Bit like Chiropractors, the last one I went to in Ibiza, only gave me two treatments and I can still feel the benefits after four months being able to turn my head fully to the left for the first time in years. :up
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - I totally agree that not all Acupuncturists are created equal. Some just seem to know exactly where to place the needle whilst others don't have a clue. This last fellow I went to was pretty darn good.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

LLL I was very interested in your brilliant description in the first post on this thread and am wondering if it would help cope with the pain from a genetic condition in my family.

Apparently my relatives suffer from Marfan Syndrome. Unfortunately the father of my two children probably had it as well, so my daughters and grandson are seriously affected.

Typically it presents long slender limbs, hands and feet. The skin in soft and stretchy and often leaves stretch marks. There is hypermobility so although very supple the joints dislocate easily and arthritis and pain are inevitable.

It's been Just One Of Those Things in my life, but my grandson in particular is having a hard time with his peer group, kids of 14 can feel inadequate very easily anyway, but when there are apparently no visible signs children can be very hurtful. The doctor that I am seeing for my collapsed ankle suggested that I should look into it further, so I've joined Ancestry and have found something that will replace my favourite video game!

Thank you, LLL I'll see what's available in Cardiff and Ibiza and keep you posted. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As an aside, do you know that some experts now consider that Akhenaten may have exhibited many features of Marfans disease and that could explain the way he and his family were depicted?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

No Way! :o

We had decided we were descended from Mermaids, as we are better in the water than on land .................. however I had to point out that we are better in trees too! :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes way :lol: There is a very interesting programe somewhere where they interview several women in America (I think) who all suffered from the disease. One woman in particular was a dead spit for Akhenatens body shape. long facial features, very tall and long limbed. All of them featured the extremely long hands and feet, if you compared the out of proportion feet of Akhenaten as he is depicted, then this woman’s feet were identical. After watching the program I was quite convinced that they were on to something, they also touched upon some personality traits which may even have explained his behaviour.

Here you go, it was s eries by Bob Briar and it was this part 6 of 6 where they compare Marfans sufferes with him
phpBB [video]
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you so much Horus. Wow, it really hits the nail on the head. :up

So much is familiar, even to the personality traits, almost uncanny.

I think my Grandson will feel better when I show him this film. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

See MD. I am a mine of useless information ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

No way, this may make a huge influence on a young chap. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I will be very happy if it does :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Geez - having heard what MD said and watched the clip - well - I'm concluding that MD & I MIGHT be related particularly as we both have ties to Cardiff Wales ;)

AND

If we're talking GORGEOUS BODY DIFFERENCES then that is ME! And MD too! :) ;)

Actually 'til I read MD's post I'd never heard of Mafans Syndrome but I Googled it and it is pretty interesting.

I'd also commented to my latest IMS Therapist that I have always been quite flexible and loose jointed. He said that was NOT a plus as being loose jointed etc just makes it ever so much easier to have joints slipping out of sockets and pelvis' tipping forward etc. (Lucky me! NOT)

My legs and arms are quite long and I'm also tallish. My daughters however are really quite tall and thin and have VERY long hands and long narrow feet (wear size 11 womens shoes). In the youngest daughter this has manifest in her having very beautifully shaped hands and any number of people over the years have commented that she should be a hand model. The daughters also have long narrow faces (I do a bit but not as much as them) sooooooo Hmmmm. Always knew I was probably related to Royalty! :) :)

Seriously it is an interesting syndrome. I doubt I'd be diagnosed with it but I'd say me and my daughters have some features of it.

The IMS is definitely a different type of acupuncture. I could not believe how tired it made my muscles feel after only 10 - 20 minutes of having a needle shoved into the nerve BUT already the pain is gone and I know I'm moving much better. I understand the theory behind it and if nothing else it is bringing blood to an area which is providing relief. I've had lots of regular acupuncture and while it is ok it is definitely not as aggressive (for lack of a better word) but so far it is working well for me.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

It is purely accidental that I'm living in Cardiff I'm afraid LLL - though I think a great grandmother might have Welsh origins.

My daughter and I have had a chat about Marfan last night with reference to my Grandson, which led to us thinking that perhaps the consultant I saw last week who said that he thought my hypermobility should be investigated is right.

There obviously is no cure, but I hadn't realised the risk of embolism in the aorta. So many of my father's family died young with non specific "heart" problems. My grandson is exercising hard in an attempt to get fit, my younger daughter is a mountain/wall climber and both of these can be risky in Marfan affected people.

With regard to myself, I guess it will get me in the end and that's no problem - except that I am a bit of a recluse and if I popped my clogs and hadn't put out an emergency call it could cause a lot of problems with one daughter in London, the other in Ibiza and DH in Egypt. Forewarned is forearmed I need to do a bit of organising. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - Actually I only have one paternal Grandma from Wales so she can only account for 25% of my content so to speak.

I do think that having loose limb & joints isn't necessarily the plus I'd actually thought it was and after the explanation from the Therapist I get his point that people who have tightly wrapped muscles are much less likely to suffer slipped discs and joints.

I can' report that this one session has significantly reduced my own hip/back pain so I'm highly motivated to get back and let him have another go.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm so glad it's working for you LLL. :up

You've inspired me to research local practitioners and I've found one just a couple of miles away. As soon as I've finished my current list of hospital appointments I'm ready to give it a go. Taxis are costing me a small fortune at the moment, there are voluntary services, but I feel there are others more needy.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I researched IMS because I have 2 friends with similar ailments to me and they tried this fellow with good results. The theory behind IMS made good sense to me so I figured I have nothing to lose ('cept pain) if it works. The first round has definitely improved me so I'm anxious to get in another session to see if the improvements continue. Time though is going to tell if the improvements will take and hold.

I also think 'we' as in wide social society 'we' tend to look to traditional medicine via a family doctor as the cure all for everything. Traditional medicine has been excellent as touting itself as the only game in town and throwing the fear of God into people should they stray from it. I think the pharmaceutical lobby is super strong too and what would happen to them IF IF IF everybody stopped popping pills that have the potential to turn their skin blue, cause them to turn homicidal or suicidal, be unable to eat, sleep, talk or walk, have the tarry poops whilst not being able to urinate and/or vice versa all while running the risk of diabetes, heart attacks & prolapsed rectums!!

I think we owe it to us to try alternative forms of therapy :) :) :) :)