Red Kites

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Red Kites

Post by Horus »

A few weeks ago I told you about my short visit to Harlech in Wales, while I was there I decided to do the 120 mile round trip to Aberystwyth another very popular holiday place to visit. It was not the seaside resort I was interested in visiting, but rather a local attraction quite close by as you head inland on the A44 towards the Cambrian Mountains to a place called the ‘Bwlch Nant yr Arian Forest Visitor Centre’. This lovely forest location is famous for being a feeding centre for Red Kites, a bird that was once on the verge of extinction in the UK. This beautiful bird of prey is graceful in flight and has a reddish brown body, angled wings and a deeply forked tail, it is now well established in England, Scotland and Wales due to this intensive program to save this bird. It should be noted that these birds are not tame in any way and are not dependent upon being fed for their survival in the wild. The aim of the feeding program is to help get the young birds through their first year when they are particularly vulnerable as they try to set up their own territories and survive their first Winter, even if the feeding program was withdrawn the adult birds would still survive without it and only see this as just another source of food and are not dependant on it.

The surprising thing is, it is completely free to visit and to park up, quite unusual for Wales. There is a really good visitor centre and a cafeteria with a large outside veranda that looks down and across the lake where the birds are being fed. The feeding activity centres around a small lake which sits in a bowl shape depression in the landscape so it has sloping woodland on most sides and a very nice circular walk around the lake.

The best views of the birds can be had from some seating that has been placed near the lakes edge directly opposite the small lawn like area where the food is thrown out for the birds to swoop down and take it.

Feeding takes place each day at 3 pm and many birds fly in from as far away as 15 miles in order to take advantage of this and several hundred birds will appear within about 10 minutes of feeding time. This may seem like a vast number of birds, but if you work out the square miles within that radius it only represents 1 bird for every 3.5 square miles for this catchment area.

Trying to take decent images whilst using a zoom lens, avoiding looking into the sun and controlling a small dog does not make for good pictures, so I am afraid they are not so good as I would have wished them to be, but they should give you some idea.

I have also added a very short video clip that hopefully gives some idea of just how many birds turn up at feeding time, although once again due to the forum limitation of 5 mb for a video upload it has been severely clipped. (You will probably need to double left click on the Red Kites Flying.mpg words in the attachment for it to open up in Windows Media Player) You can also make it full screen by clicking on the Arrow symbol bottom right on the playing window and pressing your Esc key to go back again
Red Kites Flying.mpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Red Kites

Post by Grandad »

WOW! For the pictures and another WOW! for the video Horus. :up

I have followed the resurgence of the red kite on various wildlife programs and Countryfile but had not realised just how prolific they have become. Thanks for taking the time to put together that very nice account of your trip. A long excursion but from your photos, it was well worth it.
Fantastic birds of prey. :up
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Woo Hoo!!! Excellent!! The video is great and the photos fantastic. I never realized any of this related to Kites nor did I ever realize they were close to extinction. They're magnificent birds as are all birds of prey.

Amazing how well they've all been taught to tell time and am sure getting the younger birds to wear digital watches makes for easier flying for them. Guess the few older ones who are still using analog are used to the weight - but - worth it to coordinate meal time. :) ;)

In photo #2 on the stump sculpture there are 'celtic' knots? Is that what the 3 hoop carvings are?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks folks, yes it was well worth the excursion to visit such a spectacle Grandad. :up

@LLL, it is amazing how the birds know the exact time to arrive, there will be nothing around at 2.30 then a few will arrive by about 2.45, but by 3 pm there are hundreds filling the skies. They will be swooping over your head and tumbling and jousting with each other, but as they are moving so fast and so close it is almost impossible to take a hand held shot and get the focus right. As to those wooden carvings, well I am not sure what they are supposed to mean as it seems to portray a compass and a pair of dividers, but no doubt it does have some Celtic connections in the overall design.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Here you can stand on a totally empty beach and throw a single crust of bread up into the air. Within seconds to minutes the gulls are arriving and in very short order they've hovering over you and pooping on your head in their search for food. Seems food is a strong motivator but they also always 'call' soon as one of them spots anything.

Do you think the Kites are the same way? Do you think there is one who lives close to the feed site who sounds the alarm every day soon as he sees the person with the food? And then the first call just ping pongs fast through to all the others as each one in turn lets fly with a scream? OR did you get a sense that they have an instinctive time clock?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

They do seem to arrive en-mass although there were a few that seemed to arrive earlier than the others and to circle above the hills that you can see surrounding the lake. I think your theory is probably correct as they do call quite loudly a sort of keening screech, so maybe it is a ripple effect of some local birds having a rough idea of the time and as they circle and screech it radiates outwards in a growing circular pattern that encompasses more and more birds. The problem with this theory is that the food is not put out before 3 pm and there is no prior indication it is about to happen other than the guy walking onto the grass area with a carrier bag. So it would require at least one bird who can tell the time to start the ripple effect off and the furthest out birds would need to fly faster to arrive at the same time. Maybe they have a general idea of the time a bit like a dog that knows it is time for a walk and they are waiting in the general area until one signals they have sighted the man with the food. It would be interesting to know the answer or if any studies have been done, but as they are essentially scavengers then maybe like Vultures they have such good eyesight and watch each other so when they see when another bird spots a food source they just home in, my own theory is that they have a learned behaviour of some sort probably passed on from the parent generation teaching the young about a food source and they each have it mapped as a regular food source on their daily patrolling list, so although it may be the 100th place to visit on a daily basis for one bird, it could be the 750th place to visit for another bird during the day, but this results in them all arriving at a similar time in this one place.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I was sitting in my office one day in Luxor when I heard what sounded like a baby screaming outside. There was a small group of men gathered round something on the floor - a female Red Kite with her eyes sewn up! :sd

They had brought her round to sell her to me. :evil:

I suggested that I would negotiate as long as I was permitted to sew up the seller's eyes in the same manner. :x

I was outwardly very calm and reasonable, but "smiling through my teeth" as my staff call it when they realise they are on dangerous ground. I thought I was being very reasonable, but there was no way that bird was leaving with them, eyes sewn or not!

DH arrived and took over negotiations the presented me with the bird. He set off to get a big cage made, coming back with a temporary one in less than half an hour. I wasn't prepared to free the bird until I was sure it was rested and in good health, especially that there was no injury to her eyes or feet. I'm pleased to say she must have been freshly caught, was in good condition and remarkably unconcerned all things considered.

She was eating out of my hand within a couple of hours and very soon had a much larger cage where she could spread her wings. Very quickly she knew me and would mew, duck her head and come up to the bars of the cage.

I had at the same time a Lesser Kestrel who was growing his talons which had been cut short and a one legged buzzard that appeared on my doorstep one day in a small cage. All in all I had several kestrels that I used to buy in the big animal market in Cairo, just to release* - usually at the National Arab Horse Stud which is a pool of quietness, shady trees and peace in central Cairo. There are a lot of birds of prey roosting on the minarets in the towns and cities - Black Kites nested in the Mosque opposite my home in Luxor.

I also had a Golden Eagle which was in extremis when put into my hands, a Kestrel which dangled from a piece of string and weighed about 2 oz who not only recovered but had to be put on a diet before she eventually flew away! She had the freedom of our flat for a long time and one day simply chose to fly out of the window.

The first raptor I was offered was a beautiful Pallid Harrier which was priced at about £5 sterling. I so dearly wanted to rescue it, but wouldn't because I knew I would be started a new trade. I will never forget his fierce orange eyes and his platinum plumage. For many years there were a pair which I often saw perched on the phone lines between Karnak and the airport. They were obviously not hassled and there may even be some in that area still.

From our motorboat I once saw a Golden Eagle drinking on the edge of the river, West Bank and north of the Movenpick Hotel. The Herons and waders were quite unimpressed and went about their business very close to him/her. :up

* I have seen 12 Kestrels crammed into a budgie cage - you need a strong stomach to go to that market. :st
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I admire your efforts MD and many birds and probably their decendants owe their existance to your intervention :up As for myself I just could not contain my rage at such a practice were I to witness it, although I realise that animal cruelty exists all over the world.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

We've taken on a lot of "pedigree" dogs from the Saida Aishah Market - I should say my DH has, I'm only responsible for one, a Harlequin Great Dane Puppy that was in a market chicken cage!

Apparently they are abandoned mostly by Russian women working in the Red Sea area.

I had a German Shepherd for about 10 years that we saw being dragged along the street in Luxor, stopped ad asked the teenager why he had it and where he was going. Checked it out and the owner had bought two pups, lived in the middle of Luxor where they were kept on a roof and as the matured they constantly fought each other. The owner preferred the other dog and told this teenager to get rid of it. If he could bite boy, it made Rasta's day when we first had him. OK with adults and women but boys were on the menu.

He went to our garage compound on the West Bank, eventually running free, but close to base. Eventually he got old and grey and one morning was found in his bed curled up and had simply died in his sleep. Much loved and spoiled by our crew, Rasta will always be remembered with affection.

Even with the best of care, Luxor climate takes a hard toll on dogs and cats.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Horus wrote:I admire your efforts MD and many birds and probably their decendants owe their existance to your intervention :up As for myself I just could not contain my rage at such a practice were I to witness it, although I realise that animal cruelty exists all over the world.
:oops: Actually, Horus I think my current cat in Luxor which is about 14 years old, has always preferred to eat birds rather than anything I could offer her. There are no baby pigeons being reared on aircon units nearby, or in the branches of the street trees. The crows used to nest in the very top of the big tree outside. She let the youngsters get big enough for a meal, then sat in the nest and ate them. :oops: The noise the parents were making drew the attention of passers by who expected me to get her down before she hurt herself. :urm: The birds have never forgotten and stalk her when she's on the balcony or roof - not too near though. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Fantastic pictures & video :up :) Beautiful area for beautiful looking birds.......Thanks Horus :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

My own moggy of 22 years (recently deceased) was a murdering little devil when it came to the wildlife, thankfully she slowed down as she got older and even the Magpies would stroll around her and she would ignore them. :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Do cats hunt rabbits? As in little baby ones?

I do have an ulterior motivation in asking this as basically we have an enormous problem here by way of an exponentially exploding rabbit population. I've just recently seen them starting on the street side of the house. Not sure IF they've actually gotten into the backyard yet where the veggies etc are growing but given their numbers they've really devastated some neighbourhoods and personal gardens. It is now normal to see, more than you can count at any given time, rabbits nibbling away on lawns and roadside everywhere.

IMO most people here now consider them 'like' traditional cat and dog pets so they're not being caught or trapped and are strongly defended anytime anybody talks about a massive cull or catch. Personally I worry that given the numbers they're all going to contract a disease and start dying everywhere.

I don't want to try to trap or have to start spraying everything in the yard with that rotten egg pepper spray stuff...........BUT.........IF.......they were to be caught 'naturally' I could live with that........course it would probably take 2 herds of famished cats to even make a dent.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes I have owned a Tom Cat that would often catch and bring home quite large rabbits. ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I had a very small cat whose father was a Manx and she naturally had half a tail. One day she somehow dragged into the kitchen a full sized dead rabbit and left it by her dish, taking no further interest in it.

At last I knew why she spent so many hours sitting on a fence post. I checked and there was a barely perceptible rabbit run alongside one of the posts, so presumably she just dropped on the unsuspecting rabbit and finished him off.

I wonder why when they brought their trophies home they always put them on or near their food dish and took no more notice of them. I've just realised they only brought fur home, never feather. Strange :tk
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

My last cat would always bring the field mice she caught back home for my wife, often they were alive. She made a particular growling sound by the back door that my wife would recognise "Don't open the door, Buffy has brought a mouse" would be the cry from her, whereas I could never really tell.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

How about shrews? I rescued one that the cat had brought in and was playing with on the stairs. Very tricky. I soon understood where the expression shrewish came from, feisty little fellow. :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I had a Manx years ago and I lost count of the numerous mice, shrews, moles and rats he brought to the back door. He was a terrific hunter but I never once saw a rabbit - not that they were nearly as prolific as they are here.

Not too sure though a cat would be rigorous enough to even remotely quell the influx but am thinking a dog would and soon as I see the backyard or front yard being decimated I may just have to consider one.

There is a huge hue and cry going on right now in our local newspaper and on our local FB site. A man was apparently walking his dog through one of the parks. Rabbits everywhere and eating up all the flower gardens. He apparently let his dog go with an overheard command of "get 'em" towards a rabbit. The dog didn't 'get' the rabbit and hence off it in front of all the passers by BUT there is now a call for this to be illegal. In other words nobody wants people to be able to set their dogs against the rabbits.

Many are up in arms that this is cruel and inhumane (to the rabbits), the worry that a child might see this terrible act etc etc etc whilst there are other voices that are saying these rabbits are officially (and they are) classed as noxious pests and so they're fair game, so to speak, to be killed much the same as a mouse or rat would.

Between the excess deer & rabbits here its a wonder we have anything green left! THEN the concern too that bears & cougars are daily now coming into town and this says nothing for the discussion about the sea lions pooping and refusing to get off the docks so people can get to their boats!

I could make my own version of wild kingdom here! :) Am waiting for the swans to arrive :) Next month hopefully.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You would need something like a whippet or greyhound to catch them, terrier breeds will go for anything they see as chaseable and if they catch something they are good at dispatching vermin. However small dogs like Annie will give chase, but rarely are they able to catch anything as they lack the prolonged burst of speed after their initial mad rush. :D