Glaucoma and AMD

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Glaucoma and AMD

Post by Grandad »

I know that I have discussed both my own and my wifes eye problems on here but we have some difficulty getting family members to understand just what the problems are. I have quite considerable difficulty walking without the aid of a walking stick BUT if you look at my legs you see two very strong and healthy looking limbs. The same applies to eye problems, there is nothing visible to another person so it is difficult to understand something there is no evidence of.
I will often use the 'disabled' option in public toilets and I am increasingly finding a notice on the door to the effect that disabilities are not always visible. I applaud that because there are those who will challenge people using a disabled toilet when the person, on the outside, looks fit and healthy and the challenger is acting out of ignorance.
To help my family understand our problems I printed a few pictures to illustrate, as far as possible, what we actually see. As I have talked about the subject here I thought perhaps they would be of interest to you folks who always show understanding. :up
I used this picture as the basis of my explanation.

The Macular is the central part of the retina that gives us our close and detailed vision. Like the HD part of the eye. Wet AMD (Age Related Macular Degeneration) is when there is fluid leakage behind the macular which will lead to blindness if not treated with injections into the eyeball. My wife has wet AMD in her right eye and has monthly injections.
Dry AMD is when the surface cells over the macular die thus making close and detailed central vision impossible. My wife has this in her left eye and this is what she sees with that eye.
I have early dry AMD in my left eye but this is turning to wet. I can already see a blind central area in low light such as when I visit the bathroom at night without turning any lights on. I have so far had four injections in that left eye and the wet AMD is so far under control.

Glaucoma is a condition by which, increased pressure in the eye causes damage to the optic nerve. It is progressive and will lead to blindness if not treated with eye drops to reduce the pressure in the eye. About 30 years ago glaucoma was detected in my right eye. This is hereditary and I inherited it from my mother. I have been using drops twice per day and now three times ever since but eventually my eye became effectively blind apart from a very small area to the right of my visual field.
I have recently told you about my cataract operation last week and my hope that there was some vision being concealed by the cataract. That did not prove to be the case BUT the removal of the cataract has at least brought colour back to that small area and has removed a blurred effect from that right side of my visual field.

This is approximately what I was seeing before cataract removal

And this is roughly what I see in my right eye now.

These are conditions that we both have to live with and that is life and we can cope with it. I just thought that as I had the problem of explaining to my family, you might also find these notes of interest if you have no experience of these conditions.

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Glaucoma and AMD

Post by Horus »

I can relate to much of what you have shown here Grandad, prior to having my first cataract removed it was like someone sticking their thumb in front of my vision at about 6” away. At least now you have some colour vision back again and who knows? It may improve even further with any luck. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Very interesting write up Grandad and an excellent explanation. Am hoping the addition of colour will add quality to your life.

Many who have invisible handicaps/dysfunctions/problems often continually face discrimination by those who can't SEE their dysfunction. Those with mental illness really exemplify this as often for all intents and purposes "look" normal. Their handicap is not seen and they appear quite ok as their hidden illness isn't obvious. It must be very tiring & exasperating to have to constantly justify or be on the receiving end of words, jibes, taunts and/or peoples apathy towards a serious medical matter. Education in this area is definitely needed.

On the other hand I do realize that when people don't understand or really have a grasp of something their inaction or non-understanding can lead the appearance they're uncaring which often isn't the case - they simply don't understand or appreciate the full extent of the ramifications of something.

IMO your explanation with pictures has really exemplified you condition. Think about giving it to your Opthamologist for use with his/her other patients. You might be surprise at how appreciative they are to having a real TOOL they can use to aid familiar understanding.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Wow! I didn't realise it was so bad, it must be horrible living in a grey world. :(

I'm happy for you both that you have some colour back & hopefully more soon :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

"I have early dry AMD in my left eye but this is turning to wet. I can already see a blind central area in low light such as when I visit the bathroom at night without turning any lights on. I have so far had four injections in that left eye and the wet AMD is so far under control."

Thank you Grandad, I've been wondering why I have the dark patch in low light, now I know! ;)
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys Yours and my left eyes seem to be in a very similar state MD. I also have an early cataract in that eye which is affecting my visual acuity to a point that it is below the limit for driving. I had the right cataract removed 10 days ago but that has only very slightly improved my peripheral sight in that eye. It is effectively blind so I need my left eye to get back to better shape so that, hopefully, I can drive again.
Sorry that you have similar problems to myself MD even to the eye changing from dry to wet AND us both having four injections so far. We must keep comparing notes. :) ..My next Opthalmic appointment at the hospital is 2nd October when I shall again talk to them about doing the left cataract. Fingers crossed...
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

At the moment I'm seeing pretty well, thank God. But I am worried about my daughter who has about the same amount of MD as me and 26 years younger. I have suggested that she gets another opinion on her sight and hearing asap here in the UK while her son is still on school holidays. The treatment she has received courtesy of the Spanish version of the NHS as she's a resident and also paying privately for a second opinion in Ibiza has been grudging to say the least. There is an excellent private hospital in Cardiff, and frankly she would spend the money on any other family member in the same circumstances, so I'm hoping to see her soon.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys MD, you must have thought I was losing it when you read my post in response to yours copied below. As it did not say 'Quote' I assumed it was your words and didn't recognise it as my own. :(
Maybe I AM losing it :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys wrote:"I have early dry AMD in my left eye but this is turning to wet. I can already see a blind central area in low light such as when I visit the bathroom at night without turning any lights on. I have so far had four injections in that left eye and the wet AMD is so far under control."

Thank you Grandad, I've been wondering why I have the dark patch in low light, now I know! ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Forgive me Grandad, I'm using a Kindle as I've Rogered my laptop, so I make mistakes more often, so sorry. :oops:

I almost lose the will to live using a touch screen rather than a keyboard. I learned to touch type on a robust Remington circa 1958. It had blank pads, no numbers or letters so I find hunting and pecking very tedious. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

MD, time to just bite the bullet and reinstall the Operating System on your laptop, it may lose some stuff, but it is better than having a duff machine that is no use to you. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I realize this is drifting badly but I can't abide the touch screens. I'd almost rather NOT communicate than to have to use a cyber touch type screen - virtual screen :sk :sk