Fingers Crossed for Grandad

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Fingers Crossed for Grandad

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today, Wednesday is the day Grandad goes UNDER THE KNIFE!

Wishing you ALL THE BEST!!

Am being optimistic it'll definitely improve the vision :up :up

8) Might have to wear SHADES for a bit though 8)

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Fingers Crossed for Grandad

Post by Horus »

Yes good luck Grandad and no looking at those pretty nurses with your new improved eyes, I am pretty confident that you will be on here soon and telling us how much better your vision is after the operation. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Hope all goes well Grandad, I'll be thinking of you, do let us know as soon as you can :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

We are all rooting for you Grandad. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for your good wishes friends BUT BUT BUT......At the end of last week my wife got a miserable cold. I tried my damnedest to avoid catching it off her but to no avail so I too am now suffering but of course in my case it is terminal :lol:
I phoned the hospital yesterday morning and re-scheduled the procedure for next Wednesday so I am now working hard to shake of this pesky cold.
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Phew! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw there was a post from you. I hope both you and your wife get well soon. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Oh that it :a83: have us all worrying about if you are OK or not and all the time there is you sitting at home feeling sorry for yourself with man-flue and watching the telly. :a19:
Seriously though, get well soon and Mrs G, get some vit C down your neck that will help. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

OHhhhhh noooooo ............ a re-schedule due to a cold :sk :sk :sk

Now am rooting you'll both be chugging lots of Vitamin C, feet up, resting and getting on the mend so the 'under the knife' op will happen THIS Wednesday.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

By coincidence, I have just watched a documentary about a Gibbon having a cataract operation, yours should be a walk in the park compared to that Grandad ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:OHhhhhh noooooo ............ a re-schedule due to a cold :sk :sk :sk
Oh come on LLL, tou know when us blokes get a cold it is life threatening man-flu :lol:
I didn't want to postpone but I didn't wish to share my bugs around and as I get a cough with a cold, not the best thing for delicate surgery. If I had gone they would probably have sent me home anyhow. Still looking forward to next Wednesday though to find out what vision is left behind the dense cataract.

I will give you a detailed account next week although Horus has already had this experience and told us about it so I feel prepared.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I actually think the very LAST thing you'd want to do after any surgery let alone delicate surgery is cough.

I stifled a couple of cough barely when I had my appendix surgery couple months ago but I was NOT going to cough.

Am also sure the Docs appreciate NOT getting exposed to any more bugs than they need to.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Hope you both feel better soon & Good Luck for next Wednesday :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Tomorrow is now "NEXT" Wednesday so here's hoping the eye surgery goes/went well! :) :)

Hopefully the surgery has happened and we won't be opting for "third time a charm!"

ALL the BEST to Grandad for a good outcome and speedy recovery.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes Good Luck :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks folks, just waiting for my son to pick me up and take me to the hospital on his way to work. 8am appointment? I didn't even know there were two eight o'clocks in the day. Only knew of the one after dinner in the evening :lol: :lol:
Will report back later.....
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Best positive optimistic wishes for the surgery to go well with an improvement in vision :up :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes hopefully it will all be done and dusted by now, lets hope its a good result :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well that all went without a hitch. There is a very nice Ophthalmology Suite and they plan for 4 cataract appointments in each 2 hour session. I was second of the 8am batch. The usual form filling and seeing the eye doctor and signing a consent form. Then 3 doses of dilation drops and anti biotics over about half an hour then to the little prep room next to the operating theatre where a generous dose of anaesthetic drops are applied.
When in theatre I checked my watch just as they were putting the sheet over my face. I didn't feel a thing during the procedure and just heard a quiet motor sound which was probably the ultrasonic cataract dispersal and suction to clean out the lens sac.
I looked at my watch as the face sheet was removed and could not believe that the whol;e process had taken just 12 minutes. Back to the lounge area with a transparent eye protector over the eye. Given tea and biscuits and asked to relax for about 20 minutes before calling my daughter to collect me. All very civilised :up
I had to keep the eye protector on until this morning so could not wear my glasses last evening. I must wear that at night for the next week just to avoid any risks during the night.
I was not expecting any immediate improvement and, as I have said before, I just wanted to find out if any of the very blurred shapes that I could see were any better without the cataract. At present there is only minimal improvement but they have told me to allow one to two weeks for the eye to settle and for the brain to re-adjust to the new lens so I must be patient. What has gone is a blurred area to the right of my visual field. This has been so annoying that I was considering using a blank contact lens to completely shut off my right eye.
So I now must just wait and see if the glaucoma has taken over that eye or if there is still some useful vision. Whatever, I have lost nothing but at least I will now know to what extent the cataract was interfering with my right eye.
As for the procedure, absolutely nothing to worry about as long as you can lay still for up to about 20 minutes.....
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Wow - on the surface good news and everything seemingly headed in the right direction. I guess it is now to wait 'til September to see the full extent of improvement. If the one blurry area has been remediated that in and of itself is excellent particularly if it was bothersome.

Amazing that that much can be done in 12 minutes and those 12 minutes can add so much to quality of life.

Here's hoping everything will continue to improve albeit over time but will continue. Interesting your brain has to learn to accommodate the new improvement however the brain is totally amazing.

You'll have to let us know if you can now see more colour. I recall my father saying, after his surgery, that he could see so much more colour.

Good to know it is all now done. Let us know how the improvements go....

:up :up :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad its all sorted now Grandad, I did try to let you down gently in an earlier post about not expecting too much after the opp. I was quite dissapointed after my first one took place as I was expecting something more, however as time has gone by I realised that it did improve things quite a lot, it was just that my initial expectations were rather high, but with time as your eye settles it should improve. :up