Solar

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Solar

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm more than enamored with solar lights and for as long as I can remember I've had them outside for any bit of light they can offer. I hate stumbling about in the dark and of appreciate that from my dark house I can see into both the front and back yards.

Since I'm up and awake in the wee hours of the early as in VERY early morning I'm noticing my solar lights are still on. I have noticed in past years that a charge would typically only last 'til maybe 1 or 2am whereas now it is 4:45am and they're still going strong.

Granted this past spring I went through my entire collection of solar lights and threw out any that were no longer works as well as those that needed new batteries as it is almost as cheap to buy new lights here as it is to replace their battery.

As these lights are still going I'm making the assumption that the actual solar technology has again improved allowing the lights to stay lit longer.

I read a report once from India detailing how solar lights have made such an incredible difference to the lives of those living in the poorer villages. Their day can now extend into the night allowing more and more activities into what would otherwise be a dark time.

Definitely hope the technology continues to improve although I'm unlikely to see any improvement myself for about 5 yrs as that is about when I figure I'll be due to purchase more new lights (or not as these might last longer than the other old ones I discarded this past spring)

I actually have 3 lights sunk into smallish plant pots set up on a 3 tiered plant stand. The raise the light UP and make quite a pretty effect at night out on the patio. Plus I have 2 other fence lights nailed to the front fence. These maintain a low light but are triggered by motion so if anybody walks up to them they come on high. They're 12 LEDS each so the light is more than adequate to see what is along the front porch patio area.

Not sure if anybody else likes or uses them but I do love my solar :)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Solar

Post by Grandad »

4.45am and you are online LLL? You really have a sleep problem :lol:

I don't have any solar lights, I DO have 6 x 12v licghts around the edge of the patio. They will stay there until they fail and then I will cut them down to ground level because the cable is now permanently buried under mortar after I filled all the gaps. When they pack up I will probably get some solars.

Interesting your comment about solars in India. That is a bit like 'wind up radio' invented by Trevor Bayliss. This brought radio to remote areas in Africa and elsewhere. The battery is charged by cranking a handle so no need for mains electricity or replacement batteries.

Good stuff this technology :up
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Solar garden lights have improved a lot in recent years, they are also very cheap to buy, so as you say not really worth messing about with if they no longer work. The biggest problem that I find it how waterproof they actually are, many will allow moisture inside even if they are waterproof and it quickly corrodes the cheap circuit boards on the inside and that is what fails rather than the solar panel on the top. The batteries will typically last a couple of years if kept charged, but again are usually they are cheap versions of rechargeable batteries so don’t stand the test of time. Providing you buy a reasonable quality one to start with and they get plenty of sunlight they will last a few years, but not more than a few years due to the cheap construction, basically the technology is quite good, but the desire to make them affordable usually lowers the quality.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

For my front yard I have 8 solar lights that go in a row along the cement wall. It is low and not that I thought anybody would fall on it I thought the light would look pretty so I lined it with lights. As it was the front yard and easily accessible to the street I opted to buy $1 black plastic lights. They're small and have never tempted anybody yet to take one.

For the backyard where I actually see them more than the front I've purchased more expensive and larger ones but I've historically not actually found much difference in performance (other than the bigger lights give off more light). They've actually lasted as long as the lights out front. The only difference being the cheap lights out front have no option for me to swap out a battery while the other ones carry a replacement battery. For me here to buy a proper rechargeable battery the cost is about $5 per battery which is about the same cost as the light. Maybe a bit less for the better light but sufficient it is just as easy to buy a whole other light.

As H says moisture does seem to be the biggest culprit causing rust.

Hopefully these newer solar lights which are lasting quite a bit longer into the night will have better seals and not allow in the moisture that is their downfall.