Picasso has nothing on LLL

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Picasso has nothing on LLL

Post by Kiya »

They're looking lovely :) keep going :)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The latest house to add to my village

The street is now starting to take shape. I have a few more ideas of houses that I'll be making come spring as I want to get this nailed up for this coming summer.

Awhile ago I made this

I quite liked the colour (chocolate brown glaze with waxy white over top which turned out a bluish dish) so I opted to do it again in essentially the same pattern. Apparently the kiln which was just fixed with new elements burned so hot OR not hot enough that this is the result. The lady running the place thinks the kiln burned off the waxy white leaving this green colour but wasn't sure.

So - my luck in making a matching set

This was my last effort BUT it has a slight crack. Am thinking it was probably in the hot kiln as it sure didn't have a crack when I glazed it but ? Ahh well - onward and upward. They'll all make good plant saucers! Quite happy House #4 came out ok. It might have been in another Kiln.

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, love those houses! You're doing really well at pottery and I really think you've found your milieu in life! One of the exciting things about glazes is you never quite know what the end result is going to be. Too many variables. A bit like when I'm dyeing fabric - until it's rinsed, dried and pressed, I never know the final outcome. It's exciting! :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thanks RS. I'm starting with a village moving onto a town and then progressing to a city! ;)

I'm actually going to put my houses all around the bottom of the fence and/or all around the bottom of the deck.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Very nice LLL, I am thinking that the temperature of that refurbished kiln needs calibrating.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I like your houses LLL and can visualise a few on my fence. Are you taking commissions? ;)
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Definitely taking commissions! The plan is to jazz up my plain old fences out the back and these are super easy to make with the most difficult just thinking of different house designs. Best thing though you can be King or Queen of your own Kingdom this way too!

@H - I think you're right about the Kiln(s). They were all down and there was a huge crush waiting to pick up everything they made for Christmas including kids classes so there also is the possibility the little old lady looking after them (loading/unloading etc) thought to rush the firings (if you can do that) and fired them hotter for shorter? I'm only speculating and don't really have a clue why the difference in the glazing when I know I used the exact same glazes. They all make ok plant saucers though :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

There has been quite a saga developing around the Pottery Studio I go to. Essentially the Lady who runs it has experienced some pretty significant heart issues while I was gone to Mexico so when I came back figuring all my stuff would be done and ready for glazing I found out that the Studio had been closed and just re-opening and maybe only for 1 or 2 more times!! :o :o

I had literally tons of stuff to do so on the threat of a closure I rushed all the glazing just to get it done so this is my latest HOUSE to add to my developing city

I'd also made some buttons to sew onto wool caps I knit or crochet

The poor lady who runs the Studio for the Seniors had 3 different drop in days and now only the Thursday morning drop in is running sort of/kind of. Turns out each valve or section of her heart was not working properly and the oxygen was not being pushed through sufficiently. She went to her Doctor who said get to the ER where she was admitted for a few days. She is home now and doing well, tests still happening and meds being given but the jury is out if she'll ever be able to return to work.

In the interim the Center has asked the two other Pottery Instructors who teach classes in wheel work to cover but dates are only guaranteed 'til the end of March. :( Bummer as I liked going there. Found it very relaxing. Hopefully at a minimum they'll either have another person for the fall or the Lady presently doing it will be well enough to come back.

Yesterday I finished this quilt for the daughter in Quebec. She wanted a smaller black/red quilt as the colour scheme in her house is black/white with splashes of red.

Not really a 'dramatic' quilt as she didn't want a flashy one but hopefully this will add a wee something to her interior decor.

I've been collecting batiks and now that I have her quilt finished I'm going to be starting a couple more for single bed size that I can put into the bedroom here. :) Love batik fabric - the colours are just ME.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

What a shame that your pottery classes may come to an end and you were getting to be so good at it :(
On the plus side the quilt looks nice :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Great work, LLL - on both the pottery and the quilt! Shame about the classes though. :( Maybe have a go at throwing?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Right now it is really touch and go re: classes on Thursdays. The Wednesday afternoon and Sunday are totally cancelled so all those ladies are now coming to Thursdays and everybody is a rush to try and finish up everything in case the room gets closed.

To make matters even worse - one of the two instructors (Richard) who teaches throwing announced this past Thursday that he has handed in his resignation to the City so he won't even be teaching a throwing class. He has gone into business with another Potter and he will strictly be making and selling. That leaves only the other lady (Linda) who teaches throwing to now do everything and she just isn't up to do it all and has other things scheduled and on her agenda for Thursday (although she did cover the first two Thursday mornings when I came back.)

I personally talked to the Powers that Be and volunteered to supervise the room until the end of June if that would keep it going. That gesture was rather self serving but I would be more than willing to technically supervise and then clean up (if needed) for a few months but I'm also aware I'm in a Union Shop so my gesture to do this for FREE isn't being looked upon in the spirit it was offered.

On another note many of the ladies were coming to Pottery twice a week as they were making whatever, allowing it to dry to leather hard and then attaching handles, knobs etc. Only getting access once a week isn't allowing them to complete their pieces as they like. I'm on a much simpler level and mostly playing with the clay, socializing and amusing me with easy things for the garden.

Am keeping my fingers crossed it will continue but ? (Time will tell)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I really feel for those of you who have put so much emotion into your pieces not to get a finished result.

I even got emotional about a rug I was weaving with wool from my own sheep. I still feel disappointed after 40 odd years.

I used to spin - gave the spun wool away, but loved to be able to sit for a while and be occupied. I mentioned to my daughter recently that until I started doing office work when I went to Egypt, I rarely sat down except to eat. I needed a good excuse.

I treasure a chunky winter scarf that my friend made me with some of the wool I gave her. Making things with your own hands that endure is very satisfying, isn't it?
Smile! It confuses people
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

That's sad if you all lose your classes , you were coming on just great, hope the lady recovers well.

Love the blanket & colours :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have recently been dabbling in some watercolour painting as I fancy doing some wildflower paintings during the better weather and especially if away in my caravan. Sadly it never really comes easy to me, every image has to be wrung out of me, how I envy those naturally gifted artists. This was my attempt at doing a few roses in my sketch book.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well, they may have been wrung out of you Horus. but they look pretty good to me. :up :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kind of you to say so MD :) hopefully I may improve with some perseverance and a lot more practice. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Absolutely excellent H! If that is being 'wrung out' of you just wait 'til you practice up a bit! If this is a first effort you're very intuitive re: shading (and that is what makes a picture come to life)

I can't decide if I like the first or last best - I'm partical to red roses and love both of them.

What kind of paper are you using?
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

You just carry on 'practising' Horus! Great work! :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

They're brilliant Horus :) keep going with it :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Wow! praise indeed from you guys :oops: you have given me the push to carry on with it some more.

LLL, the paper is a proper water colour paper of A4 size, but only 220gsm in weight and hot pressed which is fairly thick although I believe the heavier 300 gsm cold pressed paper is much better. As I was only dipping my toes in the water so to speak I did not want to splash out on a lot of expensive stuff straight away and this paper came in a very nice linen backed landscape sized book containing 50 pages. They are perforated at one side so you can remove individual sheets if you want although my idea was to try and keep it as a book to keep things tidy and all together. The biggest problem with watercolour painting is the fact that you can really use a lot of water in getting the effect you require and the cheaper paper will buckle as it dries out again, so my book gets thicker with each painting. :lol: