Picasso has nothing on LLL

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Picasso has nothing on LLL

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Have you thought of block printing them on fabric? People pay a lot of money over here for unique block printed and dyed fabrics!

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well done LLL :up I don't even remember doing potato cuts at school but your process is a very early form of printing and very rewarding I would imagine.

A somewhat similar process is silk screen printing that I have had experience of during my working life. Both methods can be used to make unique patterns on fabrics and wall paper and are both art forms. My #1 grandsons girlfriend studied fine art printing at Uni and she had both these methods included in her course. Not using those skills at present but is now an art teach at a shool in Norfolk.

I'm rambling now but that is how my mind wanders :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well I am inspired by this forum in several ways to be honest - or you could say my mind wanders too!

In this case I agree about small block printing. I did a course in Ibiza for Tee shirt block printing but it really did nothing for me as a hobby.

However, my mind wandered back to the lino cuts I did in my youth which led onto Scraper Board which I did a lot of and really enjoyed. I haven't done any for over 50 years but inspired by this discussion I've just checked on availability of materials because I don't remember seeing any in the art shops I frequent.

I couldn't believe how expensive tools and materials are. For example 6 item tool kit £35 and starter pack of 10 sheets of white scraperboard £15 means of course that's £50 lbefore you even start. I need to reseach this further because my materials for my art classes were also pretty pricy and of course if you are a beginner you always have to have available stuff you may never need.

Anyway Scraperboard beckons, so I'll let you know how I get on.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

MD, is that similar to those copper faced engravings you sometimes see?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Going back to those lino cuts, I used to love the feel of that ink roller as it covered the lino, a sort of sticky sound :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Horus wrote:MD, is that similar to those copper faced engravings you sometimes see?
This site explains the technique and it's origins,
http://steveaugarde.blogspot.co.uk/2010 ... class.html

If you've read that I would suggest a visit to Google Scraperboard images which is pretty amazing when you know how the images are achieved.

PS I always did it freehand, was quite chocked to discover today that there's a means to transfer images onto the surface to be scratched before starting - but still the textural quality is lovely.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Never heard of Scraperboard Images MD but the portrait and cine camera on your link are amazing, especially when zoomed in to see the actual fine detail. The method uses a similar format to old mono newsprint images with a lot of dots and squares.
I found some images via Google and this one stood out for me.

Just look how real the eye looks. :up

Fascinating as this technique is, it is an artform like painting a picture whereas Lino cuts, copper plate etching, or silk screen printing can be used to produce multiple copies.

I know I would not have the patience to try Sraperboard but I look forwaed to seeing your work if you choose to make that initial investment. ;) Sounds like a nice 'Chrissie Pressie' idea to me. :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

That is one of my favourite images too, and as for the camera! I used to do mainly animals, especially dogs and I like the discipline of it, I'm not a slap and dash artist by any means.

Hmm I've been wanting to go to a big hobbyist Super Store that is apparently lurking in the outer reaches of Cardiff. I might be able to persuade daughter to take me when she comes on holiday. She might be able to restrain my choices of what I deem "necessary".
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I would be to art what Grandad is to growing Amaryllis, I am afraid I could never rise to that level of skill and I envy anyone who can. Would also love to see any of your stuff MD. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have no talent Horus, just enjoy doing arty farty things :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Mad Dilys wrote:I have no talent Horus, just enjoy doing arty farty things :up
I bet you can draw a dog better than I can ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

What's the stake? :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Over the years as I've made things and produced whatever I'm making I have noticed I have my own style and if everything was all lined up you'd be able to recognize that most of my art seems to be thematically rather the same. I'm not naturally artistic and am not producing anything that takes serious abilities with colour/contrast/shade/precision of angle or perspective etc as the real naturally artistic people do so I consider that I dabble (and I do enjoy playing around with different art forms)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have a wonderful book called "Drawing on the right side of the brain" by Betty Edwards in which the author and her son both draw the same subject. Both are excellent representations and very different - as she says handwriting varies from person to person and it's the same with drawing, there is no "proper" way. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - It had crossed my mind about doing designs on fabric but I don't think my work would be good enough to actually sell. I think work would sell but it would have to be a much higher level of skill than me. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This was my effort towards me making my own village. This is house #3. Not terribly happy with it in that the top RED square adornment got broken so instead of it being a square (like on the door) it is more like a < > at the top. It was bisque so I'm not sure 'how' it got chipped on both sides but ?

Then the top yellow flower also cracked seemingly after glazing and lastly and this was ME I don't really like how the white around the door came out. I was trying to make it different from the other doors so I dug out a trench and filled it with glaze but obviously not nearly enough especially when I put it on top of a dark brown underglaze. The Christmas tree is the same. I thought I'd get much bright highlighted green with the brown being branches peeking through. At least that is how I saw it in MY mind. Not quite the effect I wanted but us Megalomaniacs intent on creating our own cities need perfection in our creations! Going to be the Mayor of LLL Town.

Everything was totally rushed and the poor woman who does the firing was spending most of her time apologizing to everybody plus her kids class who were all arriving to pick everything up only to find it not finished because 3 of the 5 kilns were down. The City now does have all 5 going again and has extended the studio "open" time for one more week meaning people can still go and collect their stuff until the 21st instead of it closing 'til January today.

This is the village now. The trees are going to be turned into fridge magnets for the daughter so she can hang up the grandkids papers but I do intend to make trees, roads, bridges, maybe even a yellow brick road. I finished glazing another style house today and might get it next week. Will also be adding other buildings in the spring once the studio opens again.

Didn't want all red-roof'd houses or pointy topped houses but all us Global Magnates need to start somewhere! ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

They're very good, LLL. Keep going!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You are doing a fabulous job LLL :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I love the idea of making fridge magnets. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The daughter wants seasonal fridge magnets for her fridge so hence the Christmas trees for now and I have a couple of hearts for Valentines and some leaves for fall. Nothing specific yet for summer although I've also made 3 black batman symbol potteries for fridge magnets.

I've been looking for a snowflake cookie cutter so I can cut out snowflake shapes and have a few flower shapes for summer however I've yet to cut them out and make them.