Picasso has nothing on LLL

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Picasso has nothing on LLL

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I just finished this quilt for the granddaughter for Easter. The old Minnie Mouse one I made her a few years ago is starting to look pretty threadbare.

I've always kept scraps of material and have been cutting them all up into 5" squares so figured it was time to use them up vs keeping them in a container in the closet.

One of these days I WILL learn how to free style quilting and I definitely need to get an extender on the sewing table as it is a real pain always pulling all the fabric by hang as it is dragging on the floor (probably why I'm not freestyling or doing much actually quilting)

NOW back to the Batiks!

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

That's a very good way to use up scraps, LLL. It looks lovely and I'm sure your GD will love it! How have you quilted it? What did you back it and wad it with? I'm in the middle of a Bargello quilt at the moment. It was intended to just be a sample block for demonstration purposes at my craft club, but it's turning out so well that I've decided to make a single quilt/lap quilt with it. I'm going to back it with cuddle fleece, hopefully. Probably just do stitch in the ditch to anchor the two layers together.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

It looks so pretty :) lots of bright colours there for your grand daughter :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - the batting is cotton fibre fill. Not really high loft but enough to make it puffy and where the stitches could be as far apart as 10" (but the stitching is no more than 5" - could have been more if I freestyled it but haven't done that yet).

:oops: :oops: And :oops: :oops: the backing was a sheet :oops: I had a new cream coloured plain flat sheet (100% cotton at 600 thread count) that has kicked around forever, never used so it got 1 wash and then used as the back of this. I know that isn't really kosher but - well - I didn't care and wanted to use up the sheet to get it out of my linen closet.

Mostly I buy the batting or wadding in the States. It is way more reasonably priced that here and you can buy anything from the polyester fills (I don't like those) to the cotton which is white and fuzzy like cotton balls to sheets of cream coloured batting that is thickish, 100% real cotton that is needle punched. These I really like as they're almost like felt texture and you can buy them precut to twin/full or double/queen or king size bedspreads OR on bolts. I have a 10m bolt of 45" wide and 3 sets of twin bed size (for my three twin or single beds here).
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have no skills in your direction Ladies, but was very interested in the filling. I used to make a few cushions and they were filled with Kapok. I had some spare and found it very useful to make a nest for a litter of about 10 baby rabbits. New Zealand Whites have big litters - but the mother hadn't plucked her fur and just dumped the babies in a corner of her hutch and was trying to make a nest of hay..

I offered her the Kapok which she immediately took from me and in minutes had lined the hay nest and snuggled in the babies and started to feed them.

I don't know what I would use in this day and age as I haven't seen Kapok for about 35 years or so.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think I saw Kapok trees growing on Crocodile Island, I remember the very thorny trunks.
As an interesting fact, Kapok is used to fill the inside of industrial Acetylene cylinders ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

You girls are losing me......Batting, Cuddle Fleece, Stitch in the Ditch.....what are you lot on? :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Grandad wrote:You girls are losing me......Batting, Cuddle Fleece, Stitch in the Ditch.....what are you lot on? :lol: :lol:

Now you know how I feel when you all talk cameras and equipment, Grandad! :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Possibly this time next week I'm going to drive south to another studio I found where there is a quilting group. I'm hoping they actually have a large longarm machine there that can be used for quilting.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Finished these two baby quilts today. Am still in using up scraps mode so these two little guys got made

I also finally got this picture stapled onto a frame. The daughter and I went to a studio as a 'girls night out' a few months back. The studio offers a night of group painting whereby they bring out a painting and everybody gets to paint their own version of it in 2 hours under their instruction i.e. first we're painting the entire canvas green, then we're roughing in a white building, next the door, the pathway etc. using 1 brush and them giving you colours.

Guess I should say "Monet has nothing on LLL" ;) Was interesting to see how we all "copied" the picture differently. It is 18" wide by 21" long.

The paints used on this were acrylics. I've never tried them before and I guess their claim to fame is that they dry very quickly (as opposed to oils that can take forever to dry) and many of the colours are very vibrant.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

A true Monet :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Love both the quilts and the painting, LLL! :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

The quilts and painting is very nice, well done :up :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

You certainly are multi talented LLL ;)

Very nice work and very colourful.....I do like lots of colour :up
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - I like colour too. Can get a bit carried away with it at times too. Much to my daughters dismay as her personal style is rather sedate and subdued the Granddaughter loves to be as flamboyant a me! The more sequins the better and most colours can be enhanced to a bright fluorescent hue (not that I am fluorescent). She loves all her clothes to have rhinestones and sparkles and to sparkle brightly is her goal.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Finished my latest endeavor today and in the process got rid of a veritable mountain of fabric scraps. Took lots of cutting and sewing and sewing and quilting but am finished this morning.

It'll fit onto a twin or single bed and am thinking I'll put it into the middle bedroom for now.

Not sure what all I'll be sewing next. Those darn fabric scraps just seem to multiply on their own every night and I'm always finding more and more ........ course truth be told I hate throwing out good serviceable fabric of any size so long as it is roughly palm sized. I also only do this with cotton (not polyester or wool fabric) so always seem to have a decent sized stash to think about.

Planning and thinking what I'll do next
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Very creative, I can only imagine the amount of work that you ladies put into these quilts :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Very nice & colourful :) :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm marking time on the quilt front at the moment. I am attending a workshop on Monday, but just for fun. Two weeks after that, I will be teaching until July. I still have two stained glass wall hangings to finish but they shouldn't take long - hopefully! I'm looking forward to making the most of a long hot summer, should we be fortunate to have one, by relaxing on my garden swing and doing very little! Time to top up the vitamin D methinks. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Dream on :lol: :lol: