Are some things never meant to be?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Are some things never meant to be?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am starting to wonder if there is a message in all of this........

Simply I've been trying to garden. Got all the plants planted and then realized the gardens had to be re-done cause the landscape timbers were rotting and had to be replaced with cement block. Then the worst winter on record. Now the painter guys here have been tromping on all of them as they're pressure washing & sanding prior to staining the decks. Course it has been raining and raining and interrupting everything they're trying to do and NOW they can't work because there is a BEAR running around out there.

Am really starting to think that some things are just never meant to be.......

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Are some things never meant to be?

Post by Horus »

Never mind LLL, we all get times when we feel its all a waste of time especially when it comes to the garden, this year all my efforts have come to very little due to slug attacks and the strange weather we have had of late. :urm:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Move to an apartment LLL ;) ;)
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY the second coat of the stain is on the top deck........Whewwwwwww.

Drying now and tomorrow I can dust it all off, get the plants re-positioned and get back to being able to sit outside on the deck and ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I wish it was warm enough and dry enough to go out without a jacket on - let alone relax outside.

Cardiff is never going to be known as a sunshine resort. :(

Two hours before sunset I have to put the lights on, in the winter sometimes all day! However the people are lovely, friendly kind and welcoming. :up
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Finally finally ........(did I say FINALLY) the back deck is done!! The guys finally left this morning at 11am.

I'm actually quite pleased with the result. Should have taken a better before photo before they started but I actually thought I had one (and I might on the external hard drive but this one will suffice)

The BEFORE:

And the AFTER:

The wood on most of the deck is cedar. Heavy logs had been used to make the posts but then stained, close as I could figure, a "Sequoia red" which totally obliterated the beauty of the cedar. And it seemed the back area was stained once and then left so the wood was getting pretty beat on. The fellows spent more time sanding back to REAL wood than anything else.

The trellis (the black) originally had a grape vine on it but that got cut down as it only seemed to house wasp nests and IF it ever had any stain on it it was 75% gone and looked to be more a clear coat of something. And you could SEE stamped on the wood the lumber yard marks. These marks are stamped onto wood but usually that part is turned to the inside - so I had the guys stain all that black. The wood panels were also all sanded down and being cedar they really came up with a natural coating (2 coats) of clear stain (that now apparently has some sort of UV protectant in it to make it last longer - but dunno really know about that).

As they just walked away at 11am I haven't got too many of the plants re-positioned yet and some of the pots are heavy enough that I'm going to wait a week 'til the daughter & her bf arrive from Quebec and by way of introducing me to him will get HIM to LIFT the pots back into place! ;) (They've been together two years now and this is the first time I'm meeting him so I figure I might as well get him trained right off the bat!!)

All in all although it took probably triple the original time. I'm quite pleased with the result :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That looks a great job LLL and also a lot of work with all that sanding down, :a78: it must have cost you a fortune in labour. I like the black trellis as it sets the other lighter wood off quite nicely, I can see it now with either a Virginia Creeper, (nice red leaves to compliment the wood) Maybe a Trailing Laburnum, :tk or even a Wisteria trailing across and dropping masses of racemes when in flower. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It was MOSTLY labour and I really debated it - BUT - IF I'd of left the wood as it was you couldn't stain over it unless you basically stained with a dark(er) opaque and I would have been covering up algae, mould and all manner of icky yucky stuff that IMO would have rotted the wood which in the long run would have cost way more if I had to replace the deck. I figured I'd get on to it now, get it all back to good wood and then every few years have this clear stain topped up.

As for re-planting something on the arbor - you can't see it but it pretty close to the house so not too sure if I want anything out there. There was a set of lights all twined around which are night in the evening and I just realized I forgot to get the guys to put back up - but - maybe that is, for now, a good thing too. Probably need to check the old lights as they were looking kinda 'iffy' when they took them down.

Gotta say I do love the look of cedar and quite like seeing all the knots in the wood :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Looking nice :) ...job well done :)