?? Suggestions about this??

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

?? Suggestions about this??

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Since I'm on about gardens this is my peony this year. It was on big root when I planted it

This is a close up of the typical peony flower....

HOWEVER - this flower has also emerged which, to me, looks like a Japanese type peony or ? I've never seen this type of peony flower from the same bush. Usually the flowers are multi-petal'd. Is this normal? Does peonies have make/female flowers? Or ??

Not the mystery of the century but definitely a head scratcher and I do not want ALL the flowers to start looking like this last one. I love the big lush flowers of a peony. I have a red one but it seems the weakest of all and to date hasn't produced any flowers.

This is the bud off my white one

Now another query. I planted flowering onions. They grow well here and look quite nice. They're mostly fading now and lots of the colour is gone but the heads still give interest. Two years ago I planted one bunch and when they did well last fall I bought and planted some more

I also planted clumps of these - thinking I was planting ONIONS. As they started to grow they got quite a bit taller than the onions and now that they've bloomed I have this. I don't believe at all that they are onions. Maybe they are but I have no recollection of purchasing this

Any idea what it might be? All the flowers are somewhat purplish, look kinda waxy and all hang down

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: ?? Suggestions about this??

Post by Grandad »

I must pass on that LLL. No green fingers but I expect Horus or MD will have something helpful to say.

I do find the use of the word 'yard' to describe the front of rear of a house rather quaint. That is because we think of a backyard or a builders yard when the front and rear of houses tend to be a bit tidier than a builders yard. So what do we call a frontage like mine.

If, as originally there was a small grass area with some flowers, it was the front garden. Then after I block paved it, it became 'The Drive' with space for three cars :lol:

And before you ask, the raised circle used to contain a magnolia which got too large and I removed it.
This is before it got too large

Passing students on their way to the Uni are intrigued by the filled in circle. I tell them, that is a sacrificial alter where we dispose of noisy students.......most of them get the joke, but not all :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well that circle puzzled me Grandad, I kept thinking "why would anyone put a trip hazzard in his drive?" :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I am defo losing it. Why am I talking back yards here when the subject is in another thrad. Sorry folks, crossed wires :ni:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

What a shame to take out the magnolia its so pretty :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I second what Kiya said - what a shame to take out a MAGNOLIA (no less a Magnolia!) tree :)

The threads don't matter - I could have posted all of this under "what you doing today thread ;) "

We have "Lumber Yards" here and that is a huge paved area with all the different stacks of lumber. Out in the bush the guys 'yard' the trees. All schools have play yards and they're distinctly talking the grassy area of the school grounds vs the pea gravel or bark mulch areas for the playground equipment vs the paved areas for outdoor hopscotch or basketball. Thinking about it was also have dockyards but I'm not entirely sure how they're defined in that I think it is just any area where they have boats shimmed up for work to be done to them.

Once you have an extended paved area in front of a garage here the entire area would go from being a 'front yard' to a 'driveway' (never a 'drive' always a driveway) here.

I do have a front yard, side yard and back yard here.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ever tried a 'YARD of ale' LLL :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I DO take your point, a yard can be many things...........but I still prefer to call my little back yard 'A Patio'........sounds more posh ;) :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - NOPE have NEVER tried a yard of Ale (or beer or lager - BIG YUCK). The malts, beers, ales, lagers have a taste that I just can't take. Over the years I've taken a mouthful and being a lady ;) haven't spit it back out (but I recall being sorely tempted). These brews have a taste and after-taste that just doesn't appeal to me.

I don't mind some wines and I don't mind some liquers (I think I like Amaretto) but mostly the alcohols aren't high on my list of what I'd opt for in a drink. Tea and coffee on the other hand rank pretty darn HIGH on the scale that appeals to me.

Come to think on it I don't even drink (can't remember the last time) I drank a soda pop either - like Coca Cola or Pepsi or Ginger Ale. They're way too sweet and fizzy to appeal to me. (Sometimes I think I'm so staid I'm super boring! ;) )

And "yes" having a patio does sound pretty darn POSH ;) ;)