CANADA....Roy

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: CANADA....Roy

Post by Grandad »

Kiya, we know that he did the 'ditched helicopter routine', you told us about that. Jumping into ice cold water must be a piece of cake by comparison. ;) :lol:

:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Either of them would be enough to put the fear of God into me! :td He's a brave lad, Kiya!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad not sure jumping into bay is a piece o' cake ;) but, remember the ditching with chopper was in a huge inside pool , I'm sure know that ;)

I'm like RS it would scare the hell out of me to do either :o

One of my pet hates would be to drown :sd :sd
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have swum like a brick until two years ago, when I managed to float! Only in the shallow end so far. :oops:
Smile! It confuses people
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Well have to say Roy is seeing a lot more snow than we are.

Poor Roy couldn't get out for a pint on Saturday..............this is how it was looking just before a blizzard came.

8032 :vc:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That is really bad news when you can't get out for a pint :(
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL maybe can answer this one for me...

Roy was at a hockey game on Saturday past & enjoyed very much.

A while after half time the guy next to Roy patted him on the arm & handed the " puck " from the game to him & said " this is for you from the older looking guy at the end of the row.

Roy gave the older man the thumbs :up up & had every intention of seeing the older guy when the game had finished to thank him properly but, the man had disappeared so quickly.

Roy is so chuffed getting the actual puck from the game but, has know idea why ??

LLL have you any answer for this ?

This is the photo he sent me 8084
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That sounds like a real friendly gesture Kiya. :up
Perhaps there is some custom behind it which LLL can probably explain but, whatever, that's a nice souvenir from his first hockey game. I expect they heard his accent and thought 'He is one of us' ;)
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yeah it was nice of him/them.............looking at the photo it seems Roy was well down at the front row by the looks of it.

It would be interesting if it is a kindly custom shown to him.

Grandad it wasn't his first hockey game, he has been a couple of times before this latest one.

;) :) That's what I said to him........" they probably heard your good strong Scottish tongue & it was sort of a welcoming maybe to the game "

LLL we await your explanation :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I know of no specific symbolism or tradition of 'giving' a hockey puck other than to say that giving of a hockey puck is essentially the gesture of giving all that is quintessential Canada to Roy. To most Canadians hockey IS Canada. It IS what we are.

We're known as being the world's peacekeepers yet our national sport is probably one of the most brutally aggressive sports being played so hockey also exemplifies the contradiction of being Canadian. The government has put a hockey rink (or 2 or 3 or a dozen) in each and every tiny town in Canada. IF the roads are shut down (and they often are) it is super common to see people out there with hockey sticks batting the pucks about. Moms wake up regularly at 3am to get their kid to the rink for 4am daily hockey practice. Many Canadians live, breathe, sleep, eat hockey.

I think this man's gesture was nothing more than an act of sharing this very important element of our culture with Roy AND if Roy put it on top of a beer can and took a photo of it the guy who gave it to Roy was probably 'over the moon' that Roy thought it important.

The local University (where I live) offers a half semester course for University credit on the history of hockey.

Back in my day which was pre helmets and mouth guards IF your date had lost his front teeth due to being hit in the mouth with a hockey puck he was considered a supreme catch of sexy male athletic manliness!! Honest - to have had your front teeth (upper front) knocked out by a hockey puck was the epitome of sex appeal for a guy.

Course we were also chastised way back when in the Olympics when our players hit the ice and then brutally attacked the players from other countries...... :( :( We've civilized ourselves via the game now but fights do often break out during games .........

IF Roy is going to hockey games he is BEST to sit on the sidelines BEHIND the clear plexiglass. NEVER sit behind a Goalie and NEVER sit up high where a slap shot puck is apt to whack you. They're hard hard black bullets flying super fast so Roy is very smart to sit on the side well down in front. Not having front teeth nowadays doesn't carry the same sex appeal it used to!!!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL Thanks so much on your thoughts of giving Roy the puck from the hockey game :) I believe he's taken a good liking to the game & catching up with the rules .

I will say to Roy about the advised seating areas but, I'm sure he knows best where to sit..............or does he ;) I'll know he sat in the wrong place if he tells me he's had a whack & lost his front teeth ;)

As said before he's chuffed having the puck & I do hope the man giving the puck saw him taking the photo, I know he will treasure it for a long time :)

Thanks again LLL :)