Canada Day - We're 149 yrs old!

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Canada Day - We're 149 yrs old!

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

July 1st is CANADA DAY and today we're 149 yrs old. Lots of celebrations around and about and cause it is sprinkling rain right now there should be LOTS of fireworks tonight. We'd had a week of no rain and a huge grass fire south of town so I wasn't too sure they'd actually do firework out of fear of starting a fire even though they are put on a barge out on the water.

It is interesting how some of the ceremonial uniforms (red jackets with bear skin hats) pattern after those in the UK.

I always like the RCMP mounted horse patrol as they always do look incredibly sharp with the red jackets, brown felt hats.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/thousands- ... -1.2969518

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Canada Day - We're 149 yrs old!

Post by Horus »

Happy Canada Day LLL :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Happy Canada Day LLL, and to all your family and friends. :up

Enjoy the fireworks. :d1: :d1:
:gg:
Scottishtourist

Post by Scottishtourist »

Canada,Canada!
I have relations there,Full blood kin from my Scottish granny's side.Her dad,David Fleming abandoned his family and "crossed the water"leaving my great granny to bring up a family of eight(my own gran being youngest)She never knew or remembered her dad.He was the black sheep of the family!

A serious question.How much of Canada retains an indegenous population..and how many there are from immigrant stock?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Not a simple question as there are distinct and different indigenous aboriginal groups with First Nations, Metis and Inuit being the 3 primary groups. Aboriginals are located in all areas of Canada that are livable. Some areas of Canada (Artic) are not able to support life.

This PDF explains the stats: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89-645-x/8 ... 01-eng.pdf
Scottishtourist

Post by Scottishtourist »

Does Canada still have a lot of people of Scottish descent LLL?

Are there still pipe bands,tartan clad bagpipe players,etc?

Every year here the pipe bands amass on Glasgow Green for championships,and I recall that Canadian Bands feature quite regularly.

I always think of my granny when I see them.She had a sister(Jenny)who emigrated there many,many,years ago with her husband.In those days,there was no internet,nor Skype,etc.The excitement generated from gran when an air-mail envelope arrived was a joy to behold!

My great grandad(Davie)was what we would term in Scotland a "bloody no-user!"

And I would imagine that he maybe even had MORE children once he emigrated there.
I recall a time when Jenny and her husband came back to visit.Granny hadn't seen her sister for nigh on 30 years.It was a joyous reunion,and when granny died,I snaffled the fotos of the visit.Sad thing was,that it was so difficult to keep in touch in those days..air-fares were expensive,and letters took weeks to arrive.

It's a country with a fascinating history..and one I will visit someday,in honour of a much loved Scottish granny,who wasn't able to make the journey.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

There are many many Scottish people here and quite a few of the communities here on the Island will have Scottish games. Most of our parades during the year have Pipe Bands leading them off. The Scottish presence here in Canada is quite prominent.

The entire Province of "Nova Scotia" (New Scotland) is - well - Scottish. Newfoundland was predominantly Irish and the only Province that wasn't able to retain an indigenous population as the Irish actually killed them all as they arrived. New Brunswick now has a 50/50 UK/French population but Prince Edward Island (PEI) still retains a mostly English flavor. (Ever read "Anne of Green Gables?" It is a standard must read in the school curriculum here and PEI is where the author is from and the back drop setting of the book. Wonderful series of book reading for young people and old too.

Quebec strongly predominantly French but most Scottish Immigrants jumped over it and landed in Ontario. This pushed the Ukrainian/Polish/Russian and other Slavic peoples west and they mostly opted to settle Manitoba.

Saskatchewan aka "the Bread Basket" hardly has any people - few farmers and they come from everywhere. The French mostly intermarried in this area with the Aboriginals creating a huge mid-Canada population of "Metis."

Alberta attracted all the "red-neck" types who involved themselves with cattle farming and oil.

Then we come to BRITISH Columbia. The Capital is Victoria and is patterned after London.

As a piece of trivia we have the "Empress Hotel" there and it is famous for the Bengal Lounge. Direct from India a carbon copy out of the life and times of Britain in India. Because the hotel is aging and because new management took over somebody somewhere made a decision to take apart the Bengal Lounge. Public outcry screamed but so far to my knowledge a final decision has not been made. The Empress also served 'High Tea' daily and is frequented by half the city who ARE from the UK and Scotland (my relatives included although most of them stopped back east having already travelled from the UK)

Scottish traditions, influence and culture is alive and well here.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

BTW - thank you all for the well wishes. The grandkids were doing a sleep over and fireworks didn't start 'til quite late so we didn't get out to see them.

Me and the twins did walk down to the school yard about 6pm-ish so they could play for a bit on the swings/slides/climbing stuff and I could hear the Bands that were playing in the downtown park. They must have had the speakers on their music equipment on high as I could quite clearly hear all that was being played. ;) ;)

Now that we've turned the clock to summer there will be a Festival almost every weekend somewhere on the Island. Lots of outdoor music concerts, sand sculpting contests, arts and craft shows, Jazz/Blues/Country music festivals and several International cultural events. Throw in all the summer sports and you're hard pressed not to see something.

The BIG event here is the Bathtub Race across the waters to the mainland. They are REAL bathtubs that have had motors adapted to them and for 3 to 4 hours people race them across open water. Newer fabric technology now allows for warm clothes as before hypothermia was a problem although not sufficient to stop the race ;) :)