Cruise Ships

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Cruise Ships

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Little better than a week ago we had a Royal Caribbean cruise ship stop that is one of the largest cruise ships in the fleet that has ever been in this area. From May to late September cruise ships go up and down weekly from Seattle to Alaska and from Vancouver to Alaska. Very popular 7 night holiday (and actually very affordable)

Anyway - the ship stopped here and really dwarfed the dock it is so huge. What City Tourism wants is for us to go down and "Wave and Welcome" travelers!! The Newspaper (which only comes out once a week) has articles saying we should all be grateful and happy that the cruise ship is stopping and we all should be going down to the Docks to "Welcome" the travelers particularly Seniors (who it is implied have nothing better to do!)

I get it that if you are a Business and a member of the Chamber of Commerce you should probably buy a sign for your business window saying "Welcome" (so long as your business relates to tourism) BUT - IMO it is a bit cheeky requesting Seniors or Anybody go down and wave at people getting off a ship!!

I know in the different small Caribbean Island there were some stops were people dressed in traditional costumes did dances on the dock as the ship arrived and it was interesting to see and watch but I can't help but thinking if it had just been a bunch of regular people in regular clothes I doubt I would have been impressed or cared. I will watch colourful costumes but if I was getting off the ship which you have to line up to do would I have even noticed a bunch of people waving at me shouting "Hello" or "Hi" or ??

And - if cruise ships were stopping in your area would you actually even want to go down to the dock to Welcome them?

Lastly I think it IS rather 'pie in the sky' if anybody here thinks us Canadians are going to get ourselves up and out the door to drive to the Cruise Ship Terminal to welcome anybody! ;) ;) Particularly Seniors - geeezzzzz!!!!!

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Cruise Ships

Post by Horus »

As I own shares in Royal Caribbean I reckon you should all be out there dancing on the dock when one of my ships arrive ;) :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

"Harmony of the Seas" was HUGE! I don't know the specs on it but it is the largest cruise ship that has sailed up the inside passage. Read the article in the local newspaper about it.

Lots of cruise ships pass all summer long. There are shallow areas so the ships have to link their passage to the tides otherwise they won't get through. If it happens they have to pass after dark they're more than pretty to watch all lit up.

Dancing on the docks - probably isn't going to happen! ;) ;) :) Would be lovely if the First Nations got into the spirit to dress up and go down to greet the ships (but that is definitely probably never going to happen)
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

LLL we were in Southampton when Harmony of the Seas was there before her first cruise and she was so big we could see her from my son's house. None of the other cruise ships were visible from there but she was so tall she looked more like a skyscraper! Have never done a cruise but I wouldn't fancy doing one in a floating tower block :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I saw Harmony from across the Bay and she WAS huge. Usually the cruise ships 'fit' the dock but this one was hanging way out in the Bay.

Cruise ships definitely do look top heavy. Many of them have inner sitting areas that open up and go up several stories. They're highly decorated and look simply gorgeous.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I must admit that when I checked said boat out on Google, the first thing I thought of was how do you evacuate all those thousands of people in a crisis when there are apparently only 18 lifeboats?

The answer was amazing, double decker lifeboats that carry, I think 150 people in each! Still sounds a bit scary to me. :urm:
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've cruised a bit and have always had more than a passing interest in the life boats too :) They're usually hung all along the outside of the boat and are actually pretty big when you're standing beside them.

AND - the ATRIUM is the word that eluded me earlier when I was talking about the large open areas that are several stories high in the middle of the ships.

Princess Cruise ships are gorgeous, usually feature a large grand piano and harp which is played throughout the afternoon whilst tea, scones and other delightful munchies are being served :)
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

The only way I would ever thinking of going on the ship would be when it is anchored securely - starts moving and I would be off - - - - Makes me wonder if the oceans have changed now , dont they have waves and storms out there ?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Actually you get fewer shallower swells in the open ocean than you do closer to the shores. For BIG storms the big ships head out into the ocean :) And with all their advanced radar technology they can usually SEE storms coming so can move to avoid them.

You really don't feel too much on these big ships. They're like moving cities.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Even though we are considering trying a cruise, nothing on this earth would get me on that thing. Even a complimentary cruise. :a67:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Grandad - I hear ya. When I retired I had the 2 big cruises planned and I did them and they were ok but ?? Would I bought another one? Probably not.

I think I'd only be enticed if I was to link up with friends who also cruise. I have met up with a couple of couples who I've kept in touch with so that aspect of cruising has been good.

I think cruising is one of those things that you either love love love or not at all.