Edmonton work site explosion.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Edmonton work site explosion.

Post by Mad Dilys »

One more sleep! :lol:

That is you aren't too excited :a20:

Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Way cool to know that Roy will be home. On the other hand Roy going home doesn't bode well for continued work happening up there in Fort McMurray!! As Jayways says - NO smoked food for a while! ;)

All the discussions have now started about what is going to happen. Apparently 90% of the town is OK in that while the houses didn't burn down to the ground (as many did) they're standing but nobody knows in what condition.

Didn't know it at the time the fire was actively blazing and we were seeing cars being evacuated the firefighters were concentrating on keeping the hospital, airport and downtown safe so that part of the infrastructure is standing. The water plant and schools are still standing too however the water isn't drinkable.

It has now come out that Russia and Mexico volunteered to send us help and our new Prime Minister DECLINED the offer saying WE could look after ourselves!!

IMO how crazy - we can't get a handle on wildfires that are burning out of control. We get the offer of water bombers and fire fighters and their offer is declined!!!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yes LLL I'll be happy when I see him here,.......the news is he might be back in a few weeks.

Wow! I cant believe the refusal of help, how crazy is that, you'd think they would be happy of every help needed at the moment. :a62:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Today's the day for both of us Kiya, God willing - you with Roy and me with my daughter and grandson. :hug: :hug:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

It is MD :hug:

I'm very happy to say Roy is now home safe & well apart from looking/feeling tired after 20 hour journey.

I haven't had the chance to have a good chat with him as he has gone home to catch up with some needed sleep.

Before he went to Canada I asked him if he had the chance to try & get some photos of the Canadian Mounted Police but, due to unforeseen circumstances not possible but got this instead.

One happy Mummy to see her son safe :)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Good that he is home safe and sound! Quite an adventure. Roy went through the worst disaster in the history of Canada.

On the TV News now the Fire Chief said the road is now safe to drive to get back into Fort McMurray (however they're still not letting anybody back in yet).

The Powers that be are talking to Gov't re: clean up plans and plans for getting everybody back home. Not that it was known at the time but the Firefighters were working to save the infrastructure so airport, schools, hospital, downtown are all good.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I hope its not too long for families get back to some normality :)

I really do feel for those that lost their home & everything, I hope they get all the help they need :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm so glad you've seen him God Bless you and your family - sleep well tonight. :hug:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just catching up on things. So pleased that Roy is home safe Kiya. He has had quite an adventure. And never mind piccies of Mounties, you have your own little Mountie. :lol:
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thank you All again :)

I'm just back from Doc again........Infection in bladder has returned with a fever & another sample off to the city hospital.

I knew there was something wrong yesterday when I was just lazing around all day.

Now its Roy's turn to look after Mummy ;) :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL....I haven't seen news of the fire on the news here lately, what's the update on it?

There isn't anything said yet of Roy returning to Fort McMurray but, he's no sooner home & he is sent off somewhere in the middle of the North Sea for another job, trying to save a platform before it is decommissioned.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The fire is still blazing and actually went north, has taken out 600+ units at the Blacksands Lodge Work camps so they were very lucky they got them evacuated when they did. SunCorp and Syncrude have their own Firefighters and they're working to preserve their own work areas. They're still battling it but it has moved far enough from the City that all the fixer back up crews are back into the city now putting everything together. That being said they reported this morning there was a huge explosion that took out 10 residential houses. They believe it came from the gas lines (they were hooking them up in that area) so they've stopped the re-hooking up of gas lines until they can figure out the cause of this mega explosion today.

Some of the focus is off the Ft McMurray fire as now they're fighting another fire in BC that is close to the City of Fort St. John. This is MY province so getting lots of TV News about it as people are scared it could be another Ft. McMurray and they're wanting evacuation plans etc. They are in the same situation where they're kinda end of the road.

Can't remember if I mentioned thiso or not but the USA, Russia and Mexico have offered to help us but our Prime Minister declined the offers saying we were ok to looking after everything ourselves. WHY he said this is unbeknownst to me and IMO very crazy to turn down these offers of help.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL..... Thanks for the update, still not looking so good !

I hope they get the fire in your province under control pretty quick.

Yes you did mention about the prime minister refusal of help.................just crazy. :a41:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just saw on the news there are 15 total fires burning with 2 out of control (Ft McMurray fire being one of them). Some people have started going back but the air quality is so poor they either evacuated them or called them back out. Some of the fire has now also spread to the Province to the east - Saskatchewan.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Wow! can hardly believe these fires are still burning, lets hope for a thunder/rain storm.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

What a disaster, hope your fool of a president gives aid to all the displaced people ?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yeah - I think he has issued every adult something like $1200 and every child $500 which is a paltry gesture however he authorized meal allowances for all the refugees he brought in for something like close to $100/person/day plus all healthcare, language lessons, hotel rooms AND just gave some group in Toronto $200,000 to build a mosque.........kinda makes you scratch your head and wonder.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The next problem the City of Fort McMurray is facing is bears! and 40,000 or so hungry resident bears can make for a pretty bad problem......I will add that where I live here we have black bears and usually typically IF they hear you they'll run unless you happen upon a Momma and cubs in which case you turn on your heel and walk briskly away OR you fall to the ground wrap your hands around the back of your neck and lay still until the bear leaves or comes over and tastes you.

This newspaper article explains it best:

`Evacuees returning to the charred Canadian oil sands city of Fort McMurray next month may have to contend with black bears who have been prowling the streets in search of food.

Black bears have wandered into the town in greater numbers since a wildfire forced some 90,000 residents from the area earlier this month, leaving behind trash cans, dumpsters, and even thawing freezers rife with food, authorities said.

"They are smart and adaptive. They can smell food from kilometers (miles) away," said Brendan Cox, a spokesman for the province's fish and wildlife enforcement branch. "Just as you and I go to the nearby grocery store, or our favorite restaurant, the bears continue to return to a particular food source."

The blaze, which has since swelled to more 500,000 hectares (1.2 million acres), destroyed neighborhoods, cut basic services, and heaped anxiety on a community already reeling from a two-year slump in global crude prices.

Some residents are due to return beginning June 1.

Adding to residents' concerns, the city is nestled among prime bear habitat in northern Alberta's lush boreal forests, said University of Alberta conservation biologist Lee Foote.

There are perhaps 40,000 bears in the province, many of which will be searching for food after a nearly six-month winter hibernation at just the time residents are returning home, Foote said. Black bears can weigh 150 kg (330 lb).

A similar situation emerged after Canada's 2011 Slave Lake blaze, when a local fire crew noted in an online journal entry that the torched forest and tantalizing garbage "had lured the bears into the community."

Officials fatally shot more than 40 bears in the area, Foote said.

In Fort McMurray, seven wildlife officials are patrolling for bears, cleaning up garage, and setting baited traps to capture animals that may be "habituated" to a food-rich area and likely to return and possibly pose a threat to humans, Cox said.

They have captured four bears so far, two of which they released back into the wild, and two which they euthanized, Cox said.

"Officers feel the same distaste as members of the public feel for putting a bear down," Cox said.

While taking photographs of a charred hotel in Fort McMurray, George Kourounis, who presents the Angry Planet television series, said he came within a few paces of a bear.

"I spotted something moving out of the corner of my eye and that something was a great big black bear looking for food in this dumpster just outside the hotel," he said. "It was crazy."

(Reporting by Eric M. Johnson; Editing by Sandra Maler)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Geezzzz! If its not one thing its another, hope all goes well with the clearing up & folks get back to their homes minus the bears :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today the road blocks came down and people are being allowed to go back in to see what is left of their homes and property.

We also got, yesterday, 300 South African firefighters. They made national news because on arrival they were all dressed in bright yellow and did a song and dance in the airport.