Edmonton work site explosion.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Edmonton work site explosion.

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Unfortunately Roy is IN the worst disaster ever in Canada. From what I've seen on TV the Rescue people are putting vehicles into convoys and they're bringing out 50 vehicles at a time lead and followed by RCMP. The Canadian military is flying overhead to make sure there are no fires on the road.

Good to know Roy has been booked into a hotel as with 85,000 to 90,000 people arriving most are getting cots in school gymnasiums or church basements etc.

The weather isn't helping at all. If it would just rain they'd all be fine - well - as fine as people whose homes have been burned down can be but it would take away all the immediate danger of fire.

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

The latest from Roy just now is he & colleagues are still stuck at the lodge.

Roy has told me the conveys have been stopped for now because of flames.

He is becoming so tired & bored with nothing to do & nowhere to go this is the only photo he has taken.

Hopefully soon they will get out & taken to hotel, afterwards who knows where they go or what they do :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Well better bored than on a convoy that is starting and stopping to miss the flames. I heard on the TV News here today that the convoys are getting through but they're stop and start because there is still some fire and flames happening.

Our local TV is showing huge rooms (look like gymnasiums) full of collected items of everything with signs marked FREE.

Many people are lacking plain old cash so there is distribution of $$ happening too. Quite a few have opened their homes and land to anybody who needs a place to be for now. Mental health workers have been brought in as well as those knowledgeable re: insurances.

Am sure Roy will be evac'd soon. Our Military has sent in Hercules aircraft that can apparently carry 500 people per trip. Not too sure where they are flying in and out of although it seems they've saved the airport and downtown area of Fort McMurray. My guess would be that Roy will be evacuated back to Edmonton.

Been kinda wondering if the work will keep Roy there until the camps can get back up and running or not. There is some speculation that it will be awhile before work can be restarted as nobody is going to have anywhere to really live. On another note the weather forecasters are indicating that Sunday or Monday the area should get rain.

Definitely crazy times.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL Thank you so much for your update/info :)

Roy is back now at Radisson Hotel Edmonton, what happens later I don't know.

I have seen on TV the huge places with the collections of clothes etc to help those in need, its good to see folks coming together to help :)

I'm not sure yet if Roy's work will keep him there or to fly them home, its a waiting game now.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Morning news is saying between now and the end of the month they're looking at less than 10mm of rain and most of that should fall in the next day or so. It is going to get cooler and the winds will die down (which should definitely help a bit) but there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've been in and out watering my front garden so I didn't catch the entire clip of the News but I think I heard that Syncrude is going to suspend operations. Didn't catch much more than that but it definitely did sound like they were not going to resume working right now. Don't know if that 'means' anything to Roy or not but was just a tidbit I caught.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I wish that rain would come sooner than later & heavy, at least if the wind died down a bit the firemen etc would have a better chance in stopping the fire from spreading.

Yes I'm sure it is Syncrude Roy was working with, if they are to suspend operations now maybe its a good chance of Roy coming home with his colleagues.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Back and listened to the mid-afternoon update - In terms of the fire getting close to the industrial area it 'might' pass just south of SunCorp (which is the southern most industrial area - Roys (if he is Syncrude) is the next one north)

They now have firefighters from the Provinces of Ontario and Quebec and more arriving along with other heavy fire fighting equipment. Temperatures cooler again tomorrow. Some rain but they're not thinking the rain is going to be significant. Unfortunately they're thinking they're going to be battling this forest fire for a number of months ahead.........GEEEZZZZZ!!!!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Geezz things are looking bleak!

Haven't had another update from Roy for a few hours now.........hopefully tomorrow.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Constantly watching the fire reports, Kiya, and keeping you and Roy at the front of my mind! Hugs! :2luv:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Me too, Kiya. It's the only reason I watch the news programmes at the moment. In tears of course. :a62:
Smile! It confuses people
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thank you All :)

I haven't heard anything from Roy but, I'm guessing he is catching up with some sleep since reaching the hotel in Edmonton, before that they were hanging around ready to move when their lift came.

No news is good news :) :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I haven't heard anything on the morning news myself however as it is Sunday the morning news tends to be talk shows with commentaries.

I should know as the day goes on and the regular news programming comes back on if there are any updates here. There is no "Breaking News" so am assuming it is status quo re: fire.

I did see on FB a post from a gf up north who posted a big job ad from an employment agency re: looking for labourers to start to rebuild in Ft Mac (as it is known here). They're looking to hire 500 (but the pay $15 - $16/hour) is pretty low as a general labourer here gets about $20 and isn't living a camp (bunkhouse) life.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Nothing knew day as far as I'm aware.

I did hear on the news of a little rain but, nothing much.

Roy is at 1 of the work places in Edmonton just now so, just waiting to hear back from him if they are coming home or staying :a81:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today is the first day the Politicians i.e. Premier will go to Fort McMurray to see the damage via military helicopter. She may or may not ask the military to help further with clean up. The military are now using Chinook helicopters (absolutely huge) and they're using them to deliver aid (which is also the first time they've ever used these helicopters actively inside Canada)

Power grid is damaged and water quality is compromised so while lots of homes are still standing there are these other considerations along with smoke damage.

The morning News (which is where I'm getting this info from) says the Powers that Be are trying to figure out when the Evacuees can start to return home.

Sounds like a bit of good news in that people can start to go home. Don't even want to imagine what they'll find when they get there. The damage from smoke alone has to be severe.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yes I can quite imagine the time it will take for families to get over this with all the clean up etc etc they have to do, hope they get all the help possible.

I haven't heard back from Roy yet.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thankfully Roy will be home sometime Wednesday afternoon :)

I expect he will be tired after a 20 hr journey but, will be happy to see him :) :)
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Happy for you Kiya, just dont give him any "smoked" bacon for breakfast and thankyou LLL for all the updates you have posted.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Really really glad for you, Kiya! :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thank you all :) & to LLL in keeping me/us up to date with all the news :a41: :a59:

Cant wait to see him home safe & sound :)