Trentham Gardens Revisited

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Trentham Gardens Revisited

Post by Horus »

I have previously posted pictures and information on my visits to Trentham Gardens in North Staffordshire. This week I downloaded a 2 for 1 voucher from their site and myself, my daughter and Annie went for another visit. I had previously visited earlier in the year when not much could be seen in the way of flowers and the majority of trees were still bare, yesterdays visit was later than last time and although all the Crocus and Snowdrops had gone there was still some colour with the residual swathes of Daffodils still in bloom and some early Spring flowers in the Woodlands and the Swans were nesting on the lake. The trees were still bare, but showing signs of budding leaves throughout, so I intend to make another visit in about a months time. It was not a good day weather wise, but the voucher was only valid midweek so we had to make the best of a bad day, luckily it stayed dry although overcast and dull, we managed to complete our visit and get back to the car just as it started to rain.

There is quite a lot to see within the park, a miniature railway that you can ride, plus a boat that does trips on the lake , a nice little cafeteria at one end of the lake and a pleasant restaurant at the other.

The whole area was once owned by the 2nd Duke of Sutherland and the grounds were laid out by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown. It is now owned and run by Molem Properties who are carrying out extensive renovation work within the park and they plan to restore it to its original state, this is a huge task, but on each visit I can see much progress being made with lots of woodland clearing taking place. I particularly like the way that nature is taken into account and many habitats and features have been created by using the trees that had to be felled or the coppice wood. Free reign is given to local wood carvers to turn the tree stumps into works of art, I have posted many pictures of these previously, some are still there, others have started to decay and there are a few new sculptures in some places.

One of my favourites are the 'wire frame' Fairies that are dotted around the lake, around 15 in all and finding them all can be quite a task.

There is one fantastic example much larger than the others that is holding a Dandelion 'clock' that is blowing away in the wind, a truly imaginative and beautiful creation, I always call this one 'The Queen of the Fairies' although I think its proper title is something to do with dreams. It is still there on it's own plinth near the top of the lake.
Queen of the Fairies

but I was pleased to see that nearby a new clump of much larger Dandelion 'clocks' made in the same style were alongside a path by the lake.

The park also includes a Monkey Forrest in which you can walk freely amongst a fairly large troop (about 140) of Barbary Macaques that inhabit the enclosure, a large security fence surrounds an extensive woodland area. On passing this fence at one point I was drawn to a plaque informing visitors that the once locally famous Trentham Lido was now inside the perimeter fence of the monkey forest.

Although now no longer functioning I can recall visiting it as a child on a family outing and having to wear my knitted and very itchy swimming trunks. I also remember how cold the water was, England does not exactly have a tropical climate, but seeing the sign and the picture did bring back forgotten memories.

There is a plan to create a 'Stumpery' complete with ferns, I have seen these in other stately gardens where they use the old stumps complete with roots of trees that have been ripped up for woodland clearance, they can look very artistic when finished.

Nearby was a small depression that was filled about two feet deep with composted horse poo, apparently it was being planted with Giant Himalayan Lilies, should look nice when they are fully grown.

There are quite a few of the large trees remaining from the original Capability Brown planting, amongst them are some nice Giant Redwood trees. This stand has a nice stream cascading down through the rocks and into the lake, again a part of the original park plans.

There are still some lovely swathes of Daffodils remaining although most have gone past their best by now. One such planting is at the other end of the lake near to the restaurant. I find this part particularly picturesque, maybe because of the old bridge that leads to a winding path that takes you towards the Italian Formal gardens. More art can be found here such as these wicker work Snowdrop flowers, a nice place to stop for a rest and a very large Cappuccino coffee.

We ended our day as the clouds began to gather so we had been lucky in avoiding the rain. We passed the 'Queen of the Fairies' on her plinth and walked towards the bronze statue of Perseus slaying the Gorgon Medusa. This lovely statue is located at the top end of the lake and was intended to be seem when viewed from the top end of the Italian gardens in front of the (now demolished) Trentham Hall. The gardens are still in their Winter mode, so not much colour about until later in the year and the drizzle was beginning to come down. Annie with her newly shorn coat was having none of it and was keeping up the pace in order to get out of the rain, so we quickly skirted the remains of the old buildings and headed back to the car just as the heavens opened. Sorry for the picture quality, but it was a very dull day.

As an afterthought I should mention that this estate has large surrounding woodlands and a new 'Diamond' wood comprising of native Oak trees was planted to commemorate Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee. There are around 2300 new trees in this wood and all are dedicated to someone by means of a donation, I am always happy to think that my dear wife Anne has a tree dedicated to her memory growing in this new woodland. :)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Trentham Gardens Revisited

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Totally and completely loved your walk whilst having my morning cuppa H! EXCELLENT! And such a lovely place :)

You refer to the dandelion clocks.......REAL clocks as with batteries or electricity that actually have an ability to tell time?

I also liked the pottery cups! I see they actually have saucers too. Cute.

My daffodils are now gone but they're lovely there and LOTS! What are the flowers in photo #3. Top line third over. Are these primroses?

The idea of a stumpery is quite novel. We get LOTS of stumps here when they clear the bush and most often the stumps are pushed to the middle of a field and set on fire. Individual people might incorporate them into a garden but usually as they can't move them, they're too close to something else to burn and too large for 'Rot It' to be effective.

Really like all the naturalized art work that has been incorporated into the land. Looks lovely. :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad it made your day LLL :up
Over here and especially in England we refer to the puffy seed heads of Dandelions as 'clocks' and children will carefully pick them and usually ask "what time is it?" then blow on the seed head then say "1-O'Clock". They again ask the time and blow again, saying "2-O'Clock", they keep this up until all the seeds have blown away. ;) we are easily amused over here :lol:
Yes those cups were huge and I had to look twice at the mottled pattern as I thought I had been given dirty cups, :lol: the coffee was lovely though. :up

The small yellow flowers are indeed Primrose (Primula vulgaris) and they like woodland and damp areas :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The pictures are fine H, no need for explanations about the not so good weather. I find all the artwork very interesting and imaginative. I don't think we have anywhere locally with that sort of decoration; mores the pity. I really like your study of the swan on the nest, lovely, but who doesn't like swans?
Where was Annies coat? You had her shorn and then take her out without a coat ;) But she looks happy enough :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks Grandad, yes the Swan was a beauty and taking no notice of me at all.
As for Annie, well she does have a raincoat, but it's usually left in the car :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just checked H and Trentham is only about 20 miles north up the A50 from my Staffordshire rellies. I have reduced my driving these days and may not get up that way again but if we do we must make a point of going to see all that artwork. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Do you think the swan might have been sitting on a nest (and hence not moving)? Wouldn't it be spring next time? That is what I thought when I saw the swan on the nest.

I've never heard that about the dandelion heads before. Interesting. I will admit to kinda liking the yellow heads of dandelions but NOT the seeds later on.

All the decorations in the park are gorgeous. Some of our areas we TRY to decorate BUT sadly we also seem to have a bunch of idiots who frequent all things nice only to vandalize them unless they're locked up tight or constantly watched and monitored.

This fall I'm going to get some snow drops (if they come in here as bulbs) and plant a few clumps here and there. We have snowdrops now in one store being sold as "perennials" for $2.99. I figure there are about 3 stems per pot. I guess technically they're perennials BUT ??? (Good way to sell the left over bulbs you didn't sell as bulbs)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - I just checked on how long it would take ME to get to these gardens and: 13 h 55 min+ Round trip price, May 3 – 7 from CA$1,053

That actual cost isn't really that bad at all considering the distance.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

But dont forget LLL, I can get you in for half price once you are here ;)
Same for you Grandad :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

WOO HOO! Always loved a Bargain (aka bargoons!) ;) ;) Such a lovely park well worth FULL price :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:But dont forget LLL, I can get you in for half price once you are here ;)
Same for you Grandad :lol:
LovelyLadyLux wrote:@Grandad - I just checked on how long it would take ME to get to these gardens and: 13 h 55 min+ Round trip price, May 3 – 7 from CA$1,053

That actual cost isn't really that bad at all considering the distance.
Thats settled then, meet up there on 6 May, whoops sorry, I shall be elsewhere ;) :lol:
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

This is one of my favourite gardens you visit, just because of all the artwork. I have the photo of the Fairy Queen and Dandelion from before - - - Will there be swimming at the lake in summer ? Wonder if they allow the new pedal paddle boards, be ok on a lake ?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Lovely start to my day Horus, thank you. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks folks, :up
Jay as it is operated as a commercial concern there will be restrictions, but they do have a rowing club at the far end of the lake near the Cafe, I think you can see one in the 5th picture in the background. There are also Rowing boats for hire and a larger one (Miss Elizabeth) that does trips around the lake, no cycling allowed other than toddlers. There are also hot air balloon trips available and open air music concerts can be booked during the Summer months. Years ago many people went to Trentham for the open air Lido and as a child I remember swimming in the lake, but I doubt it would be allowed nowdays.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Finally got to read about your walk..........I knew I had something to catch up on ;)

I really enjoyed reading about your day & seeing all the art works.....they are amazing :) wish there was something like that up here.

The pictures are great :) considering the weather we all have had recently.

In your group of photos who is the statue holding up the decapitated head :?:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

OK Kiya, because I know you are a history buff I have included you a link and a close up of the plaque at Trentham gardens :up
The photo of the plaque gives the history of how it came to be there and to save you the trouble I have translated the Roman dates for you alongside of the plaque.

The second is a link to the story of Perseus (he of the statue) and how he slew the 'Gorgon' and cut off her head. If you click on the small image in the article it will show you a larger picture, this is the original refered to on the plaque at Trentham Gardens and having seen it close up I can assure you it is identical, even down to the patina on the bronze.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perseus
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I don't know how many of you are 'Antiques Roadshow' fans, but it is being broadcast from Trentham on this coming Sunday.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks Horus for the close up & link......most interesting :a59: :a41:

RS I do watch the Antiques Roadshow if there isn't anything else to catch my attention , will watch for this Sundays' episode you never know we may see Horus' garden, lake etc etc :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks for that RS, like Kiya I will try to catch the programe :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hmm - I do sometimes watch Antiques Roadshow but I have no idea if we're in sync with what you're watching there or not. We also have Antiques Roadshow Canada.

I've never been UP in a hot air balloon. We don't really have them here (or, at least, I'm unaware of any around here) but I do love the colours and the photos of seeing lots of them taking off and floating up into the air. Gorgeous. :)