The Night Manager

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

The Night Manager

Post by Horus »

Did anyone else watch the brilliant mini drama series "The Night Manager" shown on the BBC with Tom Hiddleston playing the manager and Hugh Laurie as the baddie? It was really good, excellent plot and lovely exotic locations, it was supposed to have partly taken place in Cairo, but it wasn’t. All the nice locations for Egypt were really done in Morocco and a lot of other places were actually locations in Majorca such as Palma and Port de Pollença in the North of the island. That lovely cliff top location where they all have dinner is actually a fish restaurant above a cove called Cala Deià, Majorca is a lovely island if you get a car and travel around it. If anyone missed it, I think it is still available on BBC i-player for a little while longer. :up

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: The Night Manager

Post by Grandad »

The best drama on TV for ages. Great cast and brilliant performances all round. If I had to pick one it would be Hugh Laurie, what a convincing and menacing performance. But they all deserve a BAFTA. :up

I don't think the actual locations are important. It is a fictitious drama not a documentary. Another example is Indian Summers (or Lust in The Dust ;) ) which is actually filmed in Penang, Malaysia.

The Night Manager was so much better than Happy Valley. Great script but poorly directed with almost unintelligible dialogue and Sarah Lancashire, in particular, mumbling through her lines.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have not seen the other two Grandad as I am rarely attracted to those sort of drama programmes, but this latest one piqued my interest. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I might try to catch up with The Night Manager if it's still available. Indian Summers a.k.a. Lust in the Dust ;) makes my Sunday evening at the moment.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Worth watching RS and if you don't leave it too long the whole series should still be on i-player :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Unfortunately, not episode 1. :( So I shan't bother.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I haven't seen "The Night Manager" but I just saw an advert for it on our TV here. I recognized Hugh Laurie but wasn't able to catch when or where. It is coming so am sure I see more but now that I've had the feedback I'll make sure to note when it is coming on.

Just last night on Netflix I watched Season #1 episode 6 of Happy Valley. It was ok. Can't say much more but it was ok. I'll watch Season 2 and fit the 1 hour blocks of time in either or before or after I've watched a movie.

If it had been on TV with adverts here they would have probably split each episode (which is 58 minutes) into 2 parts stretching it to 1 hour meaning we'd get 30 minutes of advertising thrown in which makes watching absolutely ridiculous. This is why IMO we don't get too many BBC productions on our TV as they either have to show them advert free (which rarely if ever happens) OR they make them an hour and a half and fill with 30 minutes of commercial advertising. This puts me off even starting to watch as I can't stand all the advertising.

Netflix is ok though. No adverts but it means I sometimes have to wait to get to see things. Will watch for Night Manager.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Shame about that RS, its a bit stupid not keeping episode 1 as its only 6 episodes in all :urm:
I have tried finding you a link on You Tube, but although many people have posted episode 1 on there, they have to date all been taken down, you can go to one of the sites listed in the videos and try streaming it if you want to.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We tend to record programs on independent channels and can then fast forward through the adverts (something you can't do on the catch up channels like ITV hub and More 4)

RS, you probably know this but if you select 'series record' on whatever recorder you use, it will record all episodes of any particular program, to watch at your leisure, and you can then FF through any with ads.
:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

To be honest, the TV remote is very much the mister's domain. If there is something I want to see, I tell him, and then I'm in charge for the duration of the programme. :D Tonight it will be Guy Martin and The Wall of Death, which we both want to watch, but, on average, I watch about two hours of TV per week.