Equality in professional tennis

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Equality in professional tennis

Post by Grandad »

Novak Djokovic, probably the best tennis player in the world at the present time, has had to eat humble pie and apologise for his comment that male tennis players should receive higher prize money than female players.

I wholeheartedly agree with his view and was surprised when some years ago equal prize money was introduced at Wimbledon. When talking equality between the sexes it is usually with the rider of equal pay for equal work.

How the best of 3 'pit a pat' sets can ever be equal to a possible grueling best of 5 sets escapes me. The mens' game is far more exciting and demanding and I agree with Novak although he has had to withdraw his comments.

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Equality in professional tennis

Post by Horus »

I concur Grandad and although women should be treated as equals there is no comparrison between the mens and the womens tennis when it comes to effort required to win.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Never really thought about the differences of males and females in sports but I have definitely thought that the amount of money any professional athlete gets is ridiculous and extreme. I also don't think the amount of money an athlete gets should be equated to how much energy they expend.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, with the women’s tennis when I say expend energy, I am referring to how long the tournament goes on in order to win it. The women’s singles is usually over quite quickly and they only play 3 sets ? (I am not a tennis fan) Whereas the men’s will go on for ever as they are stronger players and they have to play more sets 5 at least. It is a more arduous game altogether and the most popular for the viewers, but in some past controversy it was agreed that both sexes should receive the same prize money which doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I wonder if we'll see a slip down with Andy Murray.. as he says the other day his family is his priority now.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think in most sport (except the dance/gymnastic type ones) the men lead in entertainment value. Hockey, basketball, football/soccer etc etc etc are all dominated by men who get exorbitant salaries for often doing very little per game. Granted tennis is a very interactive sport and you can't win by just standing around as you can in baseball.

Here men and women are not paid the same even if they are in the same sport field and often women's salaries for playing professionally as way less than their male counterparts.

Should they be equal? Hmmm - dunno.

In my world which I try to keep "REAL" there are things men can do which women can't ie if you're a firefighter can a woman really carry the same weight up into a burning building? in the Military (talking like the SEALS) can women really produce the same level of stamina and carry the same equipment etc as a man? Answer in my world is NO.

What has been happening here though is that the powers that be are lowering the level of what is needed for women to get into the profession therefore equal pay for equal work applies. IMO this really is NOT right.

I think in sports, now that I've thought about it for a few, is that each of the players should be contracted for whatever they can negotiate. So if a male tennis player can negotiate a $500,000 contract to play good for him but if his male counterpart can only negotiate $250,000 then that is life. I think sports athletes should all be free agents and negotiate whatever the market will pay but I see no need to establish a set price for them.