Another Cyber Attack?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Another Cyber Attack?

Post by Grandad »

I can't open my Talktalk email box this morning and am getting a message 'Server overloaded, please try later'. I have tried for over an hour and now am suspicious that they may be under attack.....again :(

Just have to wait and see.

:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Another Cyber Attack?

Post by Kiya »

Grandad I'm with the same................mine is ok with emails opening as usual :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The one thing that I can say for my current provider ‘Sky’ is that I have never had any problems in that direction. My biggest complaint is the download speed which is quite abysmal at a mere 2.4 Mbs, but to be fair there is a lot of copper between my home and the nearest exchange. I will (hopefully) be getting on my birthday as it happens, a new provider for my internet using the BT ‘infinity’ fibre optic connection so I am hoping it will speed everything up, if I do go offline for a few days you will know the reason. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

All up and running again as normal. Probably was just a Monday morning overload. I do have a suspicion though that they are a bit shy on server capacity because things do sometimes run slow. :(
I have been on fibre for 6 months now H and there is a vast download difference. It will be a nice Birthday pressie. ;) :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad I decided to get it about a week ago and because I already have my line rental with BT they gave me an excellent deal on the Fibre Optic, 38 Mbs Unlimited Usage and it will only cost me about £7 per month, daft as it sounds I will actually be about a fiver a month better off than on my old Sky broadband and be 15 times faster at least. To be honest I made the change mainly because of my new 'Smart' TV and the need for a faster and wider modem coverage and BT's deal could not have been beaten by Sky even had I asked. Also the way things have moved of late the majority of programmes are all available on other sources such as 'Freeview' and using the catch up apps such as BBC I-Player and Demand Five will all allow you to screen the ones you have missed on the terrestrial TV, then if you add all the pay for view options if you fancy a good film, well to be honest ditching my Sky TV package looks on the cards as well. There are now less than half a dozen programmes that I would actually miss, but having looked into that of late all I can say on here is that I have watched everyone of them elsewhere for no cost to myself. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just tried Talktalk again and the Server Overload is back. I am sure they are under capacity on their server.

On the TV stuff, you will find all the catchup options really good with unbroken streaming when you get on BT fibre. Mine is not a 'smart' TV, whatever that means. Just 1080 HD but all the wifi stuff is crisp and very sharp. I do have a Talktalk Youview box that sorts out the wifi and records/pauses as I want. All good stuff. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad, the 'Smart' bit is just the ability of the TV to connect to your Wi-Fi without the need for special add on boxes.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So this morning I tried to get into my Hotmail account and I've been locked out of it as apparently somebody else has been trying to use it. Now the gyrations start of trying to get it unlocked

NOT HAPPY in the LEAST. Probably hours of work trying to get something back that I have no idea how I got locked out in the first place.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Finally got my account back. Had to provide all my demographic info, 4 commonly used email addresses, the last 4 or so "Subject Lines" and the last 4 of my credit card.

They said it could take up to 24 hours for them to verify it all so I guess 6 hours isn't too bad but GEEZ!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, why were you asked for credit card detail? that makes me suspicious :?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:LLL, why were you asked for credit card detail? that makes me suspicious :?
Only the last 4 H, they are printed on any credit or debit card receipt and I am quite commonly asked for them to confirm which card I am using.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yes - I wasn't clear they only wanted my last 4 numbers. I didn't provide them but did give them sufficient other info that they could open my account for me.

I've never had my account locked before. Definitely a pain to get it unlocked but also interesting that somebody was trying to hack into my account.