What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Grandad »

I am still a little taken aback.
When we decided to go to Austria for Christmas I immediately arranged insurance for the two of us particularly as we are both on various medications.

Two weeks ago, following a blood test, my doc told me that I was now classed as 'newly diabetic' so, knowing how insurance companies will avoid payouts if they can, I phoned just now to amend my policy. A very nice young lady did a requote and told me that I am entitled to a refund of £9.22.

Can't understand that but who's arguing? :lol: :lol:

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well some good came out of it Grandad :lol:

@ Kiya, yes Annie is never far away from me and that is why she is in most of my photos, I am usually holding her leash and taking snaps with my free hand so she gets into most of my pictures. :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Horus wrote:I would agree up to a point, I have always kept dogs and my father in law was an international show judge so I was often in close contact with all breeds and their owners as he had his own kennels. I am of the opinion that with few exceptions there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. The difference with a cross breed is that even if it is from two pedigrees you are still lessening the concentration of one or several hereditary problems associated with any one breed, OK you also stand a chance of inheriting several separate health problems, but like with humans you are better breeding outside of your own bloodline and generally speaking cross breeds live longer which proves the point. As to breed size, well I have never heard of a small dog attacking and even killing people and children with the same frequency as large breeds do, most small dog attacks are on unattended babies and small children and again are the result of bad owners not understanding a dogs behaviour when confronted with a rival for their attention or a stressful situation. Larger breeds can easily develop a pack mentality if not under proper control and attacks involving several dogs are more common from this group, I would much prefer to be attacked by a Yorkshire Terrier than a Pit Bull, Alsation or Rottweiler, any breed that can bite me above the ankle is suspect.

My old Min Pin weighed 6lbs and was the most aggressive dog I ever owned. The bigger the victim the better. She wasm't very yappy fortunately. but bit my husband's ankles every day. Absolutely frightened of nothing and she and my other dogs at the time lived life on her terms.

My Wolfhound was pretty laid back and I never ever saw her be aggressive. I was shocked by her pedigree which showed Grandfather to Grandaughter for several generations which is very risky in my opinion. But I would choose a pedigree dog because I can see how close relationships are. with so much knowledge of genetic problems I feel much better. Nowadays it's easy to find out if a family have a strong tendency for a particular complaint, but never 100% sure. For example Greyhounds in Scandinavia in the 60/70s had Hip Dysplasia but it was unknown in the UK very odd.

The Bouvier was unstable and eventually suddenly bit someone he knew very well, which required 7 stitches in the young man's arm. I called in at the Vet's on the way to the Hospital so he never got the chance to do it again. None of my other dogs ever bit a human. (each other sometimes though) :oops:
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

If I owned a dog that bit my ankles every day it would have had a brick on its head ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Re: Dog Bites - This just happened here 2 days ago whereby at a house party somebody jostled the dog a pitbull type breed whilst rough housing and the dog ended up attacking and biting FOUR people! Course given the article and description of the event and dog (100 pound pitbull?) I can only imagine all the REAL circumstances however unfortunately a large dog reacted and acted out via biting. Not good all 'round and in this instance I'm going to make the case that the Owner was at fault.

This is the article:

Pitbull attack leaves multiple party-goers injured after fight: police

Keri ColesNov. 3, 2018 12:30 p.m.News

A party went horribly awry early Saturday morning, when an attack by a large dog left 13 people – including children– barricaded inside a residence, many having sustained injuries.

West Shore RCMP and BC Ambulance Service were called to a residence in the 3000-block of Pickford Rd. in Colwood at 12:30 a.m. Nov. 3, for a dog attack.

The attack reportedly started during some rough housing between two intoxicated adult men who were at the party. West Shore RCMP say it appears the dog was bumped into and became aggressive, injuring multiple people.

“The pitbull had been recently adopted by the family as a rescue animal. A review of the attack and the dog’s history of aggression will be conducted by CRD Animal Control,” says Cpl. Chris Dovell of the West Shore RCMP.

The dog’s owners managed to secure the dog inside a bedroom at the residence but sustained serious injuries.

With assistance of police, the Capital Regional Animal Control Officer safely removed the animal.

Four injured people were taken to hospital for treatment.

One injured and heavily intoxicated man was arrested after removing his shirt and attempting to fight with officers.

The Ministry of Children and Families were also contacted to review the safety of the children who were fortunately unharmed during the attack.

Update: The original police release reported the dog as “a large 140 pound pitbull,” however, Don Brown, the Capital Regional District’s chief bylaw officer, confirms the dog is a pitbull but estimates it to be around 100 pounds.

I've never owned a dog that I thought would bite. My old Shih Tzu was super duper friendly to the point of obnoxious but she did not like toddlers and hence got put away anytime a young child was around. She never bit nor even growl however she would run away and run away but IF ever cornered by a little kid intent on playing with her like a toy I could see her nipping so she was never trusted.

Very unfortunate about the Grandson. Hopefully there is no resulting scar and all will heal up nicely. The dog would have been in a kennel asap had it bit me. I think my babysitting would have come to an abrupt end.

@Grandad - good news re: insurance too!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That is my point LLL, a responsible owner should know how their dog behaves and predict the outcome of a situation, Annie is extremely friendly, but I do not let young children grab at her. In the same way that she would not chase sheep, however if passing through a flock in a field and some were to get skitty and run out of her way then there is a good chance she would see it as being playfull and try to join in. She would not physically attack them, but she would certainly chase around with them creating a panic in the flock, she has of course never done this but I know her behaviousr well enough to predict her actions, hence she is always on a leash in such situations but free to roam at other times.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

In Grandad's Grandson situation what came to mind initially is that the dog was sleeping in its habitual spot and has probably never been moved, bumped, touched when it is in its special spot hence when somebody did disturb it it reacted badly. Some owners DO give their pets all sorts of perks and cosset them into thinking THEY have a say or control over a specific area or item.

Do get me wrong by what I'm going to say here - BUT - I've always treated my pets like second class citizens in that "I" am the Boss and they do not get EVER 100% ownership or control of anything. In other words if I say "get off the couch" they are expected to move for anybody anytime. If I say "go to your bed" (usually as they're underfoot and annoying me) they go to their bed asap and stay there. When I say "give the toy" or "drop it" I mean it. The expectation is you give up the toy (or bone or whatever) when I say and anybody should be able to take anything away from you anytime. As a pet you own nothing ;) Doesn't mean I'm mean I just expect a dog to be subservient.

I have been in homes where you go to sit someplace to have the person say "Oh that is pets spot" implying the pet gets that place over the human. That has never happened in my world (and shouldn't in my opinion).
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have mentioned my excursion this morning on another thread but, on my way home I decided to try a new app on the straight path across the field near home. The app is called 'Strava' and is for joggers and the like to measure distance traveled, time and average speed.
I knew the scooter which is rated at 4mph, was better than that but I was very happy that the app measured the distance exactly as I have measured it with a point to point app and the average speed (at full throttle ;) ) was 5.3mph. Must be turbocharged :lol: :lol:
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Just catching up after a hectic couple of weeks. Back in Luxor now & missed the lovely autumn colours so was lovely to see your photo's Horus. We went into the New Forest for lunch on the Sunday before our return & although it was a brilliant blue sky & sunshine the trees were all pretty much green still.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

It's been an upsetting and hectic couple of days here. :( My youngest brother had a stroke yesterday morning, and he lives alone, so it's been a lot of running around getting information, clothing etc. I got to the hospital this afternoon only to find another brother, his wife and youngest brother's friend already there. The noise was indescribable, with all of them trying to talk over each other, and I found it confusing enough, so God knows what the poor patient was feeling! He looked as if he didn't know who he was, let alone where he was! I left and said I would come back on Friday. The hospital rules state only two visitors at a time and he ended up with six, so I didn't wait to be chucked out, and since no one else seemed as if they were making a move, I came home! Hey ho! Families!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - Best wishes for your brother. Hopefully he as found and got to medical attention in time for there not to be any serious residual results. Anytime there is any sort of medical emergency that is bad enough to have to deal with but when you add in lots of people all trying to talk at the same time I can imagine how it was. Lots of wishes for a positive outcome.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Hopefully he will recover quickly :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Oh dear, I am sorry Ruby. Positive thoughts going his way.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I did mention last week that I may have something about the little church that Annie and I pass on one of our walks, I knew that they were going to decorate it for rememberance day and they intended to do a display of weeping poppies from the tower. Yesterday I passed by as they were starting to get everything ready and took a few images, unfortunately it was raining heavily and my lens had rain spots or fogging on it which spoiled most of the pictures I took. However they did put up a few images on their own Facebook site which may be of interest, all the poppies were knitted from wool. My painted rock that I left at the church a few weeks ago was also included in their pictures which was nice to see. :)

https://www.facebook.com/15037717365852 ... 079208937/
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Impressive H, and I must say Lawton churches poppy cascade is far more tastefully done than ours in the city. Yours look as if they are running off a gulley and down the tower wall....very well done.
I also found your painted stone. Very nice and I can understand why when some people find them they want to keep them.
The church has really gone to town on the interior decoration which looks splendid. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have just been contacted by their Facebook organiser to see if I can upload them some of the pictures I took inside of the volunteers working. I have explained that they are poor images, but they still requested them so I will see what I can do. :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have finally managed to send them a few images and had a very nice reply back from them plus an invitation to call into the church with Annie anytime we are walking in that area and to make myself a cup of tea in the church's kitchen, very nice offer on a cold day. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus I also tried to post a few pictures but could only post text.
I must say it does look as if there is a lot of activity that goes on around the church. There FB page is worth a look and Debra Evans, whoever she is, seems to be leading the events and keeping their page alive. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Very impressive photos of the church. The people who made all those poppies sure did lots of crocheting/knitting. Wonder if the church provided the pattern they wanted them to follow so as to standardize the size and style. None the less they really have put out an impressive display.

Today I'm off to the beauty salon. I really don't like going but I'm looking really shaggy so I guess it is time to my hair cut into a semblance of a style. Grocery shopping after as the cupboard is almost bare.

Pouring down rain here so am not too sure what all else I'll do today but will have to think of something to pass the time.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Awake at 4am and have been reading, drinking a hot cup of tea and watching "Pick a Puppy" (show about people wanting to get a puppy so they get to visit with several breeds prior to deciding which type they want. Kinda interesting as this does feature several dog breeds which I'm finding a bit interesting).

By way of an update the gf whose son went on a tear has now had to rush off to the mainland as her elderly Mom (86) broke a hip. Surgery done however something didn't go right and the leg bone & hip came out of joint which now requires a second surgery. Lots of pain so hoping for a speedy recovery. Sometimes when (bad) luck happens it just seems to stay for a while with one thing after another happening.

My daughter's father in law is now back home from hospital on blood thinners which is hopefully working on moving the blood clot from his lungs. He is still pending urology but now nothing can be done until the clot issue is fully dealt with. The son in law has also been off-work having pulled his back. Nothing serious but serious enough to warrant he is off work for two weeks wearing a back brace. Again hoping for all to settle back to normal soon on the in-law front.

I'll have the grandkids this afternoon for a sleepover. Been thinking of activities they can do as the weather is quite iffy and it has suddenly gotten fairly cold here. The twins have taken to "publishing" book in that the oldest twin writes the stories while the younger twin illustrates. They seem to quite like doing this so might enough another book be written :) Their sister always seems happy enough to play with the dolls she has here and her very first thing is to go and get the purse she has here, put on of my old non-working cell phones in it so that she is prepared for any calls that might come in. She has always been much easier to amuse than the boys who are just full of go go go energy.