What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It is always high anxiety here whenever anybody gets admitted to hospital as it means you're 'for sure' almost on your deathbed. Also particularly nerve-wracking since he just had surgery about a week ago. Was it an experienced doctor or was it a new Locum practicing?

No updates so far today although lots of his family is now coming here to see him (as in daughters from the mainland, brother from up North). I may or may not get the grandkids this afternoon so the son-in-law & daughter can go visit (not sure).

Sun is out again today. I cleared out and off the last of the gardens out back, cut down the peony leaves.

Now I'm watching a newly released documentary about Jane Goodall and her work with chimpanzees on Netflix. I always thought she was a student of Lewis Leakey although this started off by saying she was NOT even a student she was his Secretary.

FABlux

Post by FABlux »

LLL fingers crossed that Monday brings better news from the hospital.

Congratulations Grandad on 83 years and 306 days :) At 65 I'm not sure I've got the stamina to catch my parents records of 92+ years each :urm:

We have spent most of the last few days cutting back, spreading compost and generally putting the garden to bed before we leave next Saturday.

MD that is really frustrating when you lose 2 years progress :cry: I have done much the same on my tablet for no good reason as the tablet is still working but the game has gone right back to the intro screen. I've been in touch with the help line & they say they have fixed it but they haven't. Hope you get it sorted.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The usual Thursday chore of the weekly shop at Sainsburys. Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those blokes who walk around with their wife, pushing the trolley, and asking 'do we need that' for everything she picks up :( I DO have a trolley but I go my own way and get the 'heavies', milk, wine, beer etc :lol:
Extra excitement this morning because we had booked flu jabs at the in-store pharmacy. Many places, even doctors surgeries are having difficulties getting supplies so our decision to go to the supermarket pharmacy proved to be a good one.
It is now 8 weeks since I had my second cataract surgery and I collected my glasses to the new prescription this morning. I opted to have a so called 'designer' frame that I had, re-glased. Asda supermarket optical did the job, vari focal reactalite and all the coatings, £129. They really are good and when I hear stories of poor service particularly from the two well know high street stores, I am more than happy to stick with Asda who have always given me great service. :up
You don't have to pay the earth for good specs......
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I also got my new glasses a couple day ago from COSTCO. I kept my frames cause they're not that old (3 yrs I think) and are quite comfortable. Total cost here (just to compare with Grandad) was $259 for new transition bi-focals that change into sun glasses when I'm in the sun, scratch coat and a polished rim (I'm not totally sure WHY you have to pay $10 for them to polish all around the rim of the actual lens but it is an optional choice with a price).

Today is pottery day for me. Not too sure what I'll be making day - been thinking on making a bunch of fairy doors to nail to the trees around the Park behind me as the school takes the kids down there for walks all the time. I've been making a bunch of 'rough' looking pots that I can plant Hen 'n Chicks in. I always think they look nice growing in odd looking pots as they'll grow to fit the space.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
Your glasses price looks almost the same as mine LLL (taking an exchange rate of 0.59). Perhaps mine were a little cheaper by comparison but nothing much. Checked my reactalite this pm and that works fine so I should be back to just the one pair of glasses now instead of having another pair on a cord around my neck :up
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

We both needed new glasses this year, reading glasses for me & distance & intermediate for Barry. Obviously living in France we are not eligible for free NHS eye tests but the Manager in Specsavers offered us free eye tests anyway (not NHS) & we both got 2 pairs of each on a buy one get 1 free for £420 for the 6 pairs. Barry had Reactions lenses on his distance as well as non reflective coatings on all 4 pairs so we thought the price was very good. I remember him paying over £200 a pair many years ago because he has a very high prescription, so prices do seem to have come down a lot. At least with the 2 pairs we can have 1 pair of each in France and Egypt rather than travel them all the time, although he does take a spare pair as well, just in case :urm:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Since my prescription was upped quite a bit I now only have 1 pair of glasses so as I'm no longer seeing well without glasses I'm going to have to think about getting a second pair just in case I lose or break this pair.

I don't have a good nose for glasses so I need frames with the eye pad dealies. Any of the moulded 'over the nose' fram styles just don't stay UP and here those styles tend to be less expensive than the wire type I wear. I really don't want to put another set of lens for an emergency pair of glasses into my present spare glasses as the spare pair became the spare pair when I figured out they were not that terribly comfortable to wear. Guess I need to start looking for another pair of frames. I doubt I'd be functioning terribly well without my glasses either soooooo guess I better start looking.
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Looks like we've all been doing the same thing recently,I also have just got my new glasses (reading) £120.Not my first choice as the ones i really liked would have cost me £180 and as i only use them for reading didn't feel justified in spending that amount of money, those prices do include anti glare coating.I have that put on as i get occasional ocular migraines and optician thinks glare from laptop screen could be what's triggering it off.Only problem with that coating is that you are constantly cleaning them for some strange reason,did ask optician why but all he said was it was one of the disadvantages of the coating.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Well, I'm going to be different! :D I went to the opticians last week and I didn't need a new prescription - so I didn't buy new glasses! :lol: I've had the same pair now for four years. :up
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Well done RS! Weird that only my reading has changed, distance stayed the same. Maybe its the kindle paperwhite reading I do during the night when I wake up & can't get back to sleep (usually around 3a.m.!) Reading usually does the trick though.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@FABlux - 3am seems to be my time to shine too! (no idea why but that time is almost a given that I'll wake up then)

@Hurghadapat - I have that same coating on my glasses and do seem to always be cleaning them. Never really knew why 'til now.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I'm heading this afternoon for a craft afternoon in that a gf is going to show several of us how to paint a flower (or something) onto a silk scarf and they dye it. I've never remotely tried this but thought I'd give it a go.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sounds interesting you must post your results :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Quite dreary looking outside this morning with a light fog. Very typical fall. Heading out for a cuppa with a gf and we will chat the morning away. Lots of leaves off the trees.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Recovering from a trip back to Kent to sort out all the family stuff in store for the last 5 years.

I had been given 3 days to leave my last "home" so the packing was rather frantic. However this week my daughters came too and we stayed at the Hilton for 5 days going back to the storage centre every day to the two 250 cu ft boxes of personal effects and memories of my mother, the girls and myself. It was a wonderful experience, emotional and sometimes funny without a cross word or bad feeling.

Quite a bit was binned, but the rest has been sorted into what each person wants to keep and the remaining three quarters of the total will go to charity - they should do very well , I'm pleased to say.

One of the funniest things was finding a fragile cardboard box with Rasta scrawled on the side. it was of course the ashes of my last dog Rasta McPasta the Naughtiest Dog in the World. We intended to scatter them in a nice place on the way back to the hotel, then at the hotel but they kept being lost and turning up unexpectedly in yet another place until I found them in my luggage! So Rasta has come back with me to Wales and I've decided to buy him a nice jar and look after him properly until we can both got together. :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It has been very cold for the last few days, but I cannot believe that I can see very light snow falling outside :vc:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

It is much colder and in the local rural areas it went down to minus two last night. Mrs G will get the 10.20 bus into town and I will go by scooter. I have a prescription to collect from the city centre Boots and then something else to seek out in the city that I will tell about later.

Halloween this evening but as there are no small children living in our road we will not be bothered by trick or treaters.......mores the pity. :(

When we moved here many years ago we were all younger families with children and events like Penny for the Guy and Halloween were fun for the kids. During the intervening years the kids have all grown up and moved away and with the rapid growth of the Universities, many houses are now HMO's housing up to six students per house.

I am afraid the neighbourliness and community has now gone from the whole of the city. :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I will be putting a padlock on my gates tonight :up Halloween? Bah humbug! :stp :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

It seems that the centenary poppy cascades has caught on and even here in Canterbury we have our own examples (on a much smaller scale). The local poppy appeal organiser is a man called Andrew Heatlie and some time ago he initiated a project to put cascades in prominent locations around the city.

His poppy version is made from the bottom of clear plastic drinks bottles which are cut and formed and sprayed red. They are then attached to a netting and hung from several buildings. So my objective this morning was to go and find the three displays.

The first one I pass is the cascade on the Norman Westgate Towers. Rather good I thought.

In the centre of the city there is a covered arcade and I understand that these poppies were made by the local sewing and crocheting group because they are undercover and out of the elements.

The third display was, until a couple of days ago, on the tower of the former St Georges church. Today however it was nowhere to be seen for reasons I know not. This is how it looked in a local newspaper just recently. Perhaps it will miraculously appear again over night?

Whatever has happened to the missing cascade I do applaud Andrew Heatlie for his initiative and effort in making these things happen. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ah I wondered what you were up to Grandad, ;) what a great idea to use the bottle bases to create the poppies. I hope that people appreciate the dedication of people who make these displays possible in honour of our fallen. Is it possible that the display net was moved from one location to another during the week?