What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

More bad luck, Oh dear!
Most microwaves have an inbuilt lock on the door that has to engage before the appliance will work, its a safety feature to avoid harmful rays from leaving the box.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just watched this video on utube:

phpBB [video]

and I'm sure that this is exactly what happened when I opened the door. I think I'm going to take a bread and butter knife to the door and see if I can pry off the inside and reattach the spring myself. If I can do it bonus if not then I'll bug the son-in-law ;)

I've also looked online and it is $4.72 to buy a new latch mechanism but $14 shipping (go figure).

It all seems pretty straight forward and for $20 worth giving it a go to see if it can be fixed EASILY otherwise I guess it'll be a new one. Repair guys here charge $65 or so fee just to arrive and I don't remember specifically but something like $1/minute thereafter and they do not move fast so their fee mounts up quickly particularly when they always have to make TWO visits! Never really worth trying to repair anything here.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Looks like a simple fix if your latch is the same :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Tah Dah!!! FIXED.

Took the butter knife and pried off the inner lining of the door and yup there was a broken piece of thin plastic that had been holding the spring (really POOR design) and I was able to link the spring onto another section of the door.

There were lots of little metal pieces all along the door that could have easily been drilled to hold the spring. Wonder how many people have ended up buying new microwaves cause the door spring broke. I've never chiselled into a microwave and was quite surprised at how very easily the inside of the door popped off. No knowing how long this will last but for the moment the microwave is working again.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

"Google is your friend" ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I amazed me at how simple it was. Actually I figured I had nothing to lose and the microwave was toast so I didn't mind taking a knife to it. The flimsy little tiny broken off piece was ridiculously flimsy too! How it actually managed to last 7 years is a wonder but a bigger wonder is that manufacturers would actually have a spring hooked to such a tiny flimsy piece of plastic in the first place.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Its called ‘built in obsolescence’ LLL :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I thought I would try the action camera clamped to the scooter this morning. It doesn't like all the cobbles in the streets and I need a mini steady cam :lol:
I left it switched on for the whole 35 minute trip and have extracted a selection of clips to post here. It is still 6 minutes long so you can skip or fast forward. No fancy titles or transitions just sharing my scooters eye view of those around.
I was amazed to see that young people tend to keep their mobile phones in hip pockets. Just inviting pick pockets.
I turned around at the Pilgrims hospital which I am sure Kiya would spot ;) and ended these clips at Chapmans our local seafood restaurant.
Just something to fill some time this Monday.
phpBB [video]
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - "WOW! Fascinating!" I was riveted and thoroughly enjoyed your walk. Watched every minute.

You passed two tall red phone booths? Do you actually still have phone booths? If that is what they were and do people actually use them? I can't think of one that is here anymore and if I could find one I'm sure it would be totally vandalized.

What were all the posts you passed? I think they were black, quite a few of them. Do they light up at night? or? I saw towards the end where there were bike stands so not too sure what the function of these posts are.

Beautiful beautiful cobblestones. Never see much of that here and very interesting to see all the shops and people walking about (YES the cute girl did have her phone in her butt pocket :P )

Your new view of the world is really quite interesting and lovely! Strap that video cam on more. I, for one, would love to see more.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks LLL, glad you found it interesting. :up I do need to find a way to reduce the judder on the cobbles.
Yes the red boxes are telephone kiosks and in use. They are becoming fewer and further between. Old kiosks can be purchased from the Post Office for around £2000, they have become collectors items.
The black posts are around for decoration and to prevent people from parking although from 10am no vehicles are allowed but you do get the odd late delivery vehicle.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Super Grandad, its sure put your mobility back on track, I must get one of those then I too can oggle all those pretty girls bums, just the right height ;) :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yes Grandad I did notice :up

Brilliant video of your fine looking city, your really are getting around :) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Kiya
Kiya, for my amusement I thought I would make my next video trip around the cathedral. While checking where I would be able to go I came across this interactive map that I thought you might like to see.
https://www.canterbury-cathedral.org/virtual-tour/
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Look forward to seeing your video Grandad :)

Thanks for the link.....its an amazing, beautiful building :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Kiya
Kiya, I took the screen shot from the top of Bell Harry Tower view. I have put red arrows down from the horizon pointing at my house to show how far across town I go on the scooter to get to the city centre. The line of trees are on the old railway embankment that I have mentioned before. The first ever scheduled fare paying railway line, 1830. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

WoW ! that's a fair distance you travelled Grandad :up :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just imagine how many terrified pedestrians that journey represents ;) :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

That is a pretty decent distance you're going Grandad. Be nice on a good day but probably not so great on a rainy day. Do you have a rain cover for your scooter for when you're out and about in the rain? I see lots of people have them here.

This past week I saw one elderly intrepid traveller pull out on his 4 wheel scooter into TRAFFIC and I let him travel in front of me down the hill thinking he was going to cross at the lights into a residential street. Instead and :o :o OH NO :o :o he turned RIGHT and proceeded down the Old Island Highway!! Cars travel this section at 80km/hour and there is no sidewalk it is just gravel on the side of the road (highly doubt his scooter would travel on this).

I don't know what happened or where this old fellow ended up but I'm thinking people would be on the phone to the RCMP to get him out of traffic. I was turning left so lost sight of him once I got to the intersection but he was either badly lost or just making a statement about how difficult it is for elderly travelers in this area.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
No LLL, I don't have a rain cover and don't need a raincoat because a) I would not go out in the rain and b) We don't get too much rain down here ;) :lol:
I set out this morning intending to go into the cathedral. The cathedral is on many levels going from the West door to the Nave which is below ground level, to Trinity chapel at the eastern end which is up several sets of stairs.
There is wheelchair access at each level through doors around the outside of the building BUT, as I found this morning, there is so much work going on that none of these doors were available.
So I am posting a short vid of the main gate into the precinct, and the Buttermarket right outside. Bumpy of course because that whole area is cobbled, and it was rather a dull morning.
phpBB [video]

I have more video from this morning around the precinct, the cloisters, and The Kings school which is part of the cathedral complex. More short clips to follow.....
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - when I tried to open your video it said it was unavailable. Did you do something different this time in posting as the last one played really well.