What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Kiya »

Grandad wrote:Main event for today.......the final F1 race of the season in Abu Dhabi

@Kiya Will Roy be able to watch, wherever he is Kiya?
Yes Grandad Roy has seen the races, just a different time zone to us :)

I managed to see this last race but, not the two before, too late for to sit up and watch.

I'm glad Bottas won :) got really fed up seeing Hamilton up there most of the time .

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yesterday the son in law dug up two of their climbing roses. They have to replace their fence and didn't want these guys climbing up it anymore however these roses are red, extremely vigorous and look absolutely gorgeous so I laid claim. He finally dug 'em up and I've got them planted here.

One I've planted on my back fence on the outside (if it grows NOBODY will ever be able to get close enough to the fence to climb over - growing in security! And the other one I planted at the bottom of the dead arbutus tree with a plant to tie the rose vines onto the tree as it grows.......IF.......it grows.

The roots got cut off kinda close but I'm hoping they'll both survive. Bit shady where they're planted BUT if they grow they'll come up into the sun so ?? And they do seem to be an older variety so am hoping hardly. There were LOTS of branches cut off some 2" diameter.

Then I got the apple tree planted over on the edge of the property out behind the fence too. The next door neighbor finally got all the blackberries cut down so while there is lots of open ground I got the tree into the ground.

I figured this is the best time of the year cause now all three have all winter to get some roots going.

So that was yesterday. Not sure what I'm up to today. Sun is out so am thinking I'll be outside doing something somewhere.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I'm happy to stay indoors and do some online shopping, it's been blowing a gale and heavy rain since yesterday :( :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Its a bit better today weatherwise, still very cold but at least the sun is shining. I feel that I should be doing something useful although I cannot work up any real enthusiasm. :tk
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Glorious day here. Have fiddled with the boiler and it's really behaving very well though a bit warmer than usual at 22/23 C but I'm not complaining!

I was wondering how warm do you chaps like your rooms? I usually have a max of 20C down stairs a bit cooler upstairs, but I turn off the radiator in my bedroom when I settle in for the night.
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That's clever MD, you have now moved all the boilers and heating stuff over to this thread. ;) ;) I am joking of course :lol:

To answer your question MD, during the day my thermostat is set to 18.5 which means it fluctuates between 18 and 19 degrees. At 3pm it switches to 21 degrees and therefore fluctuates between 20.5 and 21.5 degrees. All of my radiators have thermostatic control valves fitted so room temperatures are maintained at the setting of the valve. Bedrooms are around 18/19. I have a wireless thermostat in the extension which is our lounge/TV room in the evening and the controller for the rest of the house.

At 10pm the controller switches to hot water to heat the hot water storage tank. My reasoning being that as the system is hot, it is an efficient time to switch which ensures plenty of hot water AND gives a warm airing cupboard for any laundry done during the day. During this time only the heated towel rail remains hot keeping the bathroom warm and towels warm and dry.

That's my method. ;)
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

In the Winter I like to be warm, I have gas fires but never hardly switch them on as the CH system responds so quickly to any demand I put on it. All my control is wireless operated so it is simply to just flick a switch, often in the day I will switch it off depending on the weather because my conservatory acts like a sun trap and can often heat the whole place especially the gable end wall which acts like a storage heater. If on during the day it is set to about 18 degrees as Annie can be in and out quite a lot, but in the evenings it is set at around 21/22 degrees and sometimes if sitting nice and cosy watching TV I may flip it up to 23. I do not like the bedrooms hot so it is always turned down to the lower settings or even to off altogether depending upon how cold it is likely to be. I don’t need an airing cupboard as the whole house is of a similar temperature throughout and I always put stuff away after I have washed and dried it. As I have said before my hot water is instant so I do not need to set a cycle for that although I can set the temperature range that it will get up to. My shower is also connected directly to my hot water supply so I get mains pressure, but it can be controlled off its own regulator for heat and water pressure. The bathroom does not need a radiator in its own right and the heated towel rail will keep the bathroom at a cosy temperature. As most of the time my internal doors are open because of Annie wandering about I do not have thermostatic valves on my radiators as they would be of little use.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

10.50 bus into town. I am not one for browsing in shops, If I want something I get it and go home. Will have to do a bit of browsing with Mrs G as Christmas approaches. But at least we will probably have a bit of lunch in town so it will not all be a chore. ;) :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Lovely morning but nippy at 3C so won't go far. I think I will try and concentrate on paperwork I've been avoiding and doing some research into a couple of things I'm interested in maybe starting.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Quite happy today, not sure if I mentioned that the LCD screen in my camera kit for my caravan seemed a bit erratic. It all seems fine now, but just to be on the safe side I contacted the seller as it could be months before I get to really try it out. They immediately got back to me to say they had sent a replacement and not to bother returning the faulty one which was good of them. Postie arrived today with a nice package that contained the complete new unit plus all brackets and cables to go with it, so I am very pleased with the result especially as it looks like I now have a spare one. ;) once again good service from an Amazon supplier.:up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

What I'm NOT doing is sleep again. Fell asleep about 10pm tonight in the chair, went to bed and slept quite soundly 'til about 3am and now I'm up and wide awake.

I intended on getting up early today, head to the south end of town and have brekkie in a decent restaurant I found and then 10:30am-ish go to the Aboriginal Craft Fair. They're always interesting and I do love their art work.

After that I don't really have much on the agenda and the weather will dictate what else I do. Yesterday I finished sewing placemats for the daughter, s-I-l and grandkids for Christmas. Been thinking I might make a few more or a couple of table runners. Giftables :) I personally tend to like the big old crocheted doilies I made years ago (when I was young and in my prime and could actually SEE the stitches and my hands were more nimble) but I might also throw a red or green or whatever colour I think of table runner on the table too IF I make one.

Got quite excited today for a bit as I heard lots of honking out back. I thought the swans might have arrived but all I could see were ducks. Might take a stroll down to the marsh with the camera to see what I can see out there.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - In the winter day time the furnace and heat pump are set to 20C (68F) and around 10pm it is all set to go down to 18C (65F) however I often sleep with the bedroom window open so the bedroom can get really cold.

I do kind of like it a bit warmer in the day time but I find if it gets up to 22C or so the house doesn't cool down enough at night so it is liveable at 20 and if cool I've no problem wearing a sweater.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Today I have just done the Windows 10 update and it took about 40 minutes.

Not impressed with the Wonderful New Stuff it gives me if getting Emojis to add to anything and everthing is a good example. I tried it out and all I got was "Speech instead of text".

Yes Horus! Bring back Windows 7 all is forgiven. 8)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Today while watching the Rugby match Wales v South Africa I sorted out the product of my morning bag mining. I have bag deposits in a couple of different places and haven't had a good clear out for a year or so.

I have 8 insulated shopping bags, 32 strong plastic bags (bag for life type) and 11 strong bags costing £4 plus each.

I shall take these to the charity shop after the weekend, they say they are very useful for them. :up

PS Wales won the match by just 2 points. Excellent game. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I did get outside and blow a lot of leaves around. Not too many left on the trees so I guess one more clearance in a couple of weeks will see the end of this years fall. Just a couple of ferns need to die back a bit more then all clear till next year.

You may remember a couple of months ago, I bought a 10" Kindle Fire that I returned because it would not retain an SD card. The return reason was genuine BUT to be honest I did not like the format of the Kindle at about 16:9 which I found clumsy compared to an iPad.

Anyhow, long story short, Amazon had their Fire HD 8 as a Black Friday deal for £49.99 so I went for that. It arrived yesterday and I have spent time today setting it up. Two problems encountered so far, I can't set up email even when I use the settings from my other two tablets, and it seems Amazon do not like Tapatalk so that is not available in their playstore. But so far I like the new toy and for the price it is a gift.

As a PS: When I went to Amazon Cloud I was surprised to find all the books that we thought we had deleted still available. :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You really got a good deal with an HD 8 Fire for that price Grandad, :up I think I paid over £100 when I bought mine over a year ago. You have to remember Grandad that although the Fire uses 'Android' technology it is not exactly the same, it is what they call a ‘fork’. Basically they are prohibited from using some of the features that other people develop specifically for their devices, so they modify the basic system to be unique to their own. Many apps are only available in the Google play store so for obvious reasons Amazon do not want you to use them, you can force the Kindle software to access the Google stuff and there are plenty of videos available on Youtube to show how to do it, but remember that the Google stuff will render you vulnerable to all of the usuall Google data mining software that comes with using anything Google related. The other popular apps may well be from Apple and so would not be compatible with the Android operating system unless there was an Android version available when it may only be available in the Google play store.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Yes H it was a very good deal. You are correct about some editions of Android being specific to people like Amazon. But I can't understand why I cannot set up email even though I have used the settings for my other two tablets. One is EMAP and the other POP3 but neither is accepted on the Fire. I can access mail via the website but that is a bit tedious. :(
I have found a number of sites with advice of how to load other apps onto the Fire HD but I think I will leave alone and reduce the chances of persistent adverts.
Thanks for you comment. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Today I am being really bone idle, I bought a ready made up casserole package when out shopping last week so will give that a go for my dinner. It looks OK a nice dollop of cut up pork pieces and a pack of pre-prepared vegetables including whole baby potatoes plus a sachet of gravy, all I need to do is add 200ml of water and put it in the oven in a casserole dish. I will let you know if it was any good or not. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Today we are 'commanded' to go to dinner at my son's house, so will duly wend our way there at approx 4.30pm. I'm hoping to be back by 8pm though. They have work/school tomorrow and I have my craft group's Christmas lunch. The traffic around my area has started to build up in the run/up to Christmas, so I won't be amused if we get stuck in it! :x The road my son lives in is bad for parking at the best of times, so that will probably be my husbands very big moan of the day, driving round and round trying to park! :sd
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Grandad wrote: But I can't understand why I cannot set up email even though I have used the settings for my other two tablets. One is EMAP and the other POP3 but neither is accepted on the Fire. I can access mail via the website but that is a bit tedious. :(
Horus, just to let you know that, although Talktalks recommendation is to leave the SSL settings on, when I switched them off for incoming and outgoing mails, the email app set up correctly. So it now wors at the touch of a button. :up :up