What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

I think that the problem with cataract removal and treatment is that there does seem to by many variations and methods employed. In my own case the first operation definitely removed a small circular section of the lens and I was assured that it could not re-grow again although there was no guarantee that the new lens would always remain clear. I know it is held into place by these small dickie bow shaped springs that actually slip into the space behind the cut front lens, a bit like if you took a slice through an onion and exposed the concentric rings, so that the springs inserted between two rings so to speak on opposite sides of the circle. If you were to look directly into my right eye you would see where the 'skin' (for want of a better word) has been pushed outwards to form a small spike on the circumference of my pupil where it did not quite go fully behind the old lens on that side and so puckered it slightly and it has never changed since the operation was done. I think that my left eye was probably done in a similar manner to yours with the ultra sound and washing out technique, although the sluicing out was also done on the first eye. As an aside, my mothers cataract op was of a different type altogether and she had what is called a 'posterior' lens fitted which as you can imagine gave lots of opportunity for comical remarks. :D

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I have been told that I have a cataract forming but that it could take years before it needs operating on. Just as well, because I've also been informed that the NHS are cutting back on the amount of cataract operations they do. :td
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ruby Slippers wrote:I've also been informed that the NHS are cutting back on the amount of cataract operations they do. :td
So they would prefer to let people go slowly blind rather than offer a very inexpensive surgical solution? I hope not RS. I shall find out what the policy is in a couple of weeks.
:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I think it would be mainly be people like me that are targeted Grandad. Certainly not you and your wife. You have a history of eye trouble so you will be top of the list hopefully. I think it will be non-urgent cases that will be left until/unless it becomes urgent.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Within two and a half years I had to give up driving as I had double vision. I was extremely lucky in that I could see colours, but I recognised people by their general shape, voice and manner of moving. By the time I had the op I couldn't identify the facial features of someone sitting on the other end of the couch. I was sooo lucky to get it done so quickly and successfully.

The hospital was the cleanest I have ever been in. Patients were required to shower, wash their hair, gown up and sit in a special wheelchair wearing a cap and disposable socks. I was wheeled to the ward, where the wheelchair stopped, my socks were taken off by a nurse in the ward in front of me and fresh ones put on then I stepped into the ward. Real barrier nursing. There were 6 beds in the ward and I think about 3 were recovering and the others being operated on for various conditions at any one time.

I was concerned when one of my friends said that her mother walked in wearing normal clothes and sat in a chair like a dentist chair in the UK (though she did have a sterile drape over her face and upper body) - and she was paying about £5,000!
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

NHS eye surgery in the UK is top class and you are put on awaiting list according to your needs, so if your problem develops quickly (everyone is different) then you jump up the queue, so RS I don’t think you need to worry on that score. Basically I was told that they do not carry out the op until it will result in an improvement over your current condition which makes sense, mine was diagnosed by my optician whilst having glasses and I was not really aware of a problem, but I was examined quickly on each occasion and because I had a very fast progressing kind of cataract I was regularly assessed and once it reached a certain point I had the operation within a few months of the initial diagnosis and it cost me nothing. My continued after care is second to none as it is contracted out to a private organisation and its like being in BUPA but without the cost.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just laying my little moggy to rest, I had to bite the bullet this afternoon and phone up the vets. They said to bring her down at 2 pm which I did and after a good examination the lady vet agreed with me that she (Buffy) was on a steady decline and although she did not seem in any pain she agreed that putting her to sleep was the kindest thing to do as it would spare her a lot of messing about that would probably change nothing. Her heart beat was irregular and she was dehydrated which is not surprising as she has eaten and drank nothing since last Sunday and she was unsteady on her back end. I feel a bit better now the evil deed has been done, I have wrapped her up in her cat blanket and put her into her cat igloo and am just in the process of digging a deep hole under some slabs down the garden surrounded by some bushes. I shall miss the little nuisance that would never sit on my knee, gave out cat strokes with great reluctance and whinged at me constantly every morning for the last 22 years until she was fed, another sad day. :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Sorry to hear that H. What a great age, RIP Buffy, great name.......

Thursday morning shopping as usual. I do the heavy stuff, milk and booze etc. Usaually buy a little tasty snack then sit in the car until my other half has done the rest of the shopping. My little treat to nibble while waiting was roasted cashew nuts with Marmite. Not everyones choice but I like both Marmite and Bovril. She is normally about 40 minutes behind me but after an hour I went back in to see what the hold up was. There had been a short thunder storm which had put out all the checkout systems. They have a new system and although it was down for 20 minutes it returned to the exact point that the break occurred. SoMrs G was halfway through checkout and it went back to the last item scanned.......great stuff this technology. :lol:

This afternoon I have built a step outside my workshop door. The step down was quite steep and as I have a risk of fall I have made it safer. I am fed up with this ageing process :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You do have to make these little Changes, better safe than sorry, steep steps are lethal ;)

Grandad, it is still fresh in my mind the day my daughter brought her to our house. She produced this tiny kitten from inside her coat like a conjurer and proclaimed “Look what I have brought you both! This is Claudia Bouffant” To which my reply was “if you think I am standing on the doorstep at midnight calling out Claudia Bouffant! Claudia Bouffant! You are sadly mistaken, I shall call her Buffy”.

Claudia Bouffant, AKA Buffy
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Awe R I P poor Buffy, ti's best under the circumstances :)

Today & rest of the weekend I'm doing nothing ! just finished staining all my backy fences & shed, now knackered.

If I knew before hand it was going to be so hot I would have waited for a cooler spell to do it :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Cute name Buffy. Hard decision but the best.

I am sitting at the Ferry terminal now waiting to get on the Ferry to home from being in the States. No wind so will be smooth sailing (and sleeping for me. 5:15am comes too early)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Never easy Horus, but the longer you have them the harder it is to part. RIP Buffy.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks folks, she was a lovely cat and I shall miss seeing her around, I have a sneaky suspicion that Annie is wondering where she is :)

As for me, today I picked up my new(ish) car, I had not said anything to my daughter about it so her surprised look was a treat when she called this afternoon. :D
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I know I have told you that at the hospital they now charge for blue badge parking. It is £2 a day but who is in outpatients all day?
In the main car park you get the first 20 minutes free, then charges start at £2.70 and increase with time.
I arrived promptly for my visual field test. Now, thinks, shall I be less than 20 minutes or pay the £2 in a blue badge bay. I chose the latter.
I was in and out in 12 minutes.........don't they call that S*ds Law? :lol:

So home sharp then plenty of time for shopping and coffee at M & S foodstore. Then to Asda (that's Walmart LLL) to get the new specs. I paid a bit more than their standard range and only when I got home did I find that the frames are Gucci with a silver G on each temple bar. They must be good if they are Gucci ;) :lol: :zz

Then this aft I filled a few gaps in the slabs that I left originally because all the hostas were standing in that corner. All done now so I have been a busy bee :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Nice one Grandad :up results all round :D
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Yesterday a friend and I went of for a jaunt to a Garden Centre! It must be 4 years since I entered one in the UK- ooh it was like coming home!

It was privately owned and the standard was superb of everything, from the plants, the service, even the coffee and huge home cooked cherry bakewell tart that we shared. The prices were very reasonable, actually the same as Tesco but much better quality.

I got 4 pots of patio roses in full bloom, 2 trailing and 1 upright fuchsia, 3 geraniums, 3 osteospermum and 5 lovely big-bloomed begonias. That will cheer me up for the next few weeks. ;)

It cost £11 each way for the taxi - but............. I have found my bus pass, it's a half hour journey on the bus - 33 stops! Ten minute walk to the bus stop from my house and about 3 minutes the other end, so guess who is going to explore this week?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I don't blame you :up I have a bus pass, but never actually used it, even less chance now I have my new motor to play with :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Today I am buying a bottle of beer. Not for a man, woman or child to drink. The reason is this:-

Warning! If you are of a squeamish nature do not read on. ;)

Yesterday evening I kicked off my slippers and I dozed off in my recliner chair. Waking up in the half-light I stood up and trod on a slug with my bare foot. :sk

I grabbed a tissue wipe up the sticky mess with one hand the other reaching for the metal wire work waste bin............. and put my hand on another one lurking on the rim. :sk

When I put the light on I found another heading for a crack in the floor. :o

These are small very slender black little B*****ds which I haven't seen for a while, but war is now declared. :vs

I am going to buy some beer and put it out tonight in the hope they will drown themselves but die happy. If it doesn't work then I'll work my way through the other 49 methods in the book I had for Christmas - 50 Ways of Killing a Slug. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I hate slugs MD and they have devastated my garden this year :vs I murder them at any opportunity, usually by chucking them into my 'dog poo' bin along with a liberal sprinkling of salt :up
I used to have a few of those shelled varieties which I tollerated, but they have made hay with my Hostas this year, so ..................... :dv But the black slugs are getting bolder and I hate putting pellets down because of the birds or hedgehogs eating them, not to mention a nosey little dog.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Yesterday I went to a quilt exhibition/competition at Sandown Park Racecourse. We arrived at 10.15am and I was definitely ready to leave by 1.45pm - and that's including a break for lunch. Having said that, I still managed to spend nearly £200! :o Today I have been tracing off patterns and cutting out 2 flying suits for my granddaughter. Tomorrow I will start to make them up. :D