What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - good to know, now that I've read all the posts, that your daughter is on the mend but "WOW" that must've been some cat attack! Was it an exotic type breed or just a regular old tabby cat? Cat bites & clawings can be so darn damaging and dangerous. Good to know they were able to get it all but it must have been darn awful given she was hospitalized.

I'm not home, unpacked and laundry going. Waiting now for the Grandkids to come over for a visit - got a bunch of school supplies for them :)

Not too terribly hot but @RS I can feel your pain!

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

MD glad to hear she is doing ok :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you all for your good wishes for my daughter. I'm pleased to say all is going well - even her standoffish old cat that she adopted last year is boxing the offending cat and putting him in his place, followed by for the very first time curling up next to DD on her bed and on guard. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm still praying for rain! :( I have a thermometer in my living room that is reading 86f - and that's with the curtains closed; windows open and a large fan going! I'm finding it extremely difficult to breathe today and have the Ventolin pump close to hand. I haven't used it today yet and I really hope I don't have to.

PS. Have any of you got/had any rain yet??
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We don't have rain (and haven't for the past few weeks so we're tinder dry and I live in fear of a fire starting) and I just saw the forecast. By Sunday we'll be upwards of 91 degrees with the rest of the week in the mid to high 80ies........ :a65: :a65: :a65:

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..........
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Yes, yes, yes! We've just had a mini thunderstorm! It lasted 30 minutes with great fat splodges of rain! For the first time today, I can breathe, thank goodness! :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

oh Yes!.....thunder & lightening with heavy rain :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Nothing here yet, it was threatening last night but nothing happened. Today is cooler with some breezes so it should be a lot more pleasant today.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Cardiff grey, raining off and on since yesterday afternoon, back to normal really with temperature 16C.

Family just left to go home to 29C, just timed it right. 8)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I spoke to soon, just started to do some fence painting outside and the heavens have opened up 8)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I'm off to a 4 hour Conference sponsored by the City on how to deal with the ever increasing number of Homeless who have created a Tent City here complete with mega demands for housing. Addictions, mental health plus a ridiculously high level of thieving is happening in our downtown since this Tent City has moved in and I know I've referenced in other posts that it really isn't safe to go into our downtown area.

We do have the best climate in all of Canada so we're attracting quite a few homeless who are just parking it on public lands and/or in the bush but are also lighting fires which is extremely dangerous here. One spark in a tinder dry forest and the entire city could burn.

Public opinion is 50/50 from roust them out to give them absolutely everything they're asking for......

All in all the phenomena of homelessness is real and IMO IF the City would prepare a spot (as in tarmac'd area with concrete toilets and running water) meeting minimal basic needs all homeless coming here could be directed there. As it stands they're camping out in the downtown with hired (where are they getting the $$) Advocates and Lawyers who are fighting City & Court orders to vacate (although the actual order to vacate hasn't been issued yet). There was a similar group on the South Island. Once they were moved the clean up from all their mess and debris went into the MILLIONS! Can hear my taxes going high now.........so off I go to throw in my two cents worth which is really what I saw and was involved with in the States.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

To sum the Conference - well somebody got provoked (by simple minds) and unfortunately had LOTS to say which set the crowd back with INFO/STATS/DETAILS they'd never considered .... i.e. the City here tends to lump all Homeless under the term HOMELESS and wants to solve this problem and I do not disagree that wanting to solve this problem is good but they want 1 solution to a multi-faceted problem and they haven't yet even bothered to DEFINE Homeless as in: There are Transients, Short Term, Chronically Homeless, Chemically Dependent, Mentally Ill, Seniors, Youth, Families and on and on ...... sooooooo WHO do you want to address? As per me - DEFINE who you want to help but you sure can't just throw money (which is all they've done) at a diverse group of people PLUS take them to COURT (OMG - they're spending THOUSANDS of our TAX dollars taking them to court) to do what? Force them all into the forests so they can burn us down?

I essentially got quite vocal and detailed that this is a diverse problem requiring a tiered approach from everything to a tarmac'd area (like a picnic area that meets the most basic minimal human needs toilets and running water) for the transients and short termers to supportive living for Seniors who are totally fine except their pensions are not increasing sufficient to allow them to rent!!! Mentally ill need stability and an ability to manage time possibly with refrigeration for meds and definitely do not need to be housed beside somebody in active addiction who has drug pushers stopping by 24/7.......

OMG - it all comes so naturally to me after a career in this type of thing that I don't get it how an entire City can be so obtuse.......Guess I can't say they're not informed now and I will only 'think about' Consulting with them regularly (but if I don't I'm not sure we have anybody other than bleeding hearts that are going to preach at me as to how I failed these people (which is how the day started!!!)

Anyway off that topic - today we're super hot and getting hotter tomorrow. Was up early and out the door for a morning swim with the Grandkids at the aquatic center. Also picked up another unique bird house at the morning Market to add to my backyard collection of different looking bird houses.

Me and the granddaughter are watching cartoons right now but then will head to the bank in the mall (anywhere that has A/C) pending I take her home........HOT HOT and HOTTER (til Thursday when the temperatures are supposed to drop from 35C down to 20C!! which will feel like FREEZING!)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Just finished putting out my rubbish for collection. A lot of boxes and packing paper as we have had several things from Amazon.

I treated myself to a Karcher steam mop and it came in the smallest possible stout box straight from the factory.

However ………. a very high density foam roll for Pilates measuring about six inches across and three feet long could that could have come in a plastic bag had a very strong close fitting box, then 35 metres of packing paper - yes, I measured it - and finally a box that was big enough for my daughter to fit in and she's pretty tall. :a35:

On a lighter note, it's nice to see the sun again after a few chilly rainy days. :a65:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sometimes the packaging from Amazon is beyond belief :roll: and we wonder about all of this plastic waste.
Another pet hate of mine is all of the 'free' advertising that the postie brings, now I know that they have no choice in the matter, but it goes directly from my post box and straight into the recycle bin, what a waste of paper time and effort, we should be able to opt out of all types of junk mail without incurring any cost to ourselves. :stp
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We get TONS of adverts dropped at the door here. I'm sure I put the equivalent of a full grown maple into the bin every week. I've tried to stop it in the past but it is going to happen no matter what so I basically bring mail into the house by way of the side door where I've conveniently located the big blue recycle bin.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That's me, loads of junk mail from various food outlets and take aways, I bin the lot without even reading them :td
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Horus wrote:That's me, loads of junk mail from various food outlets and take aways, I bin the lot without even reading them :td

Moi aussi! :lol:
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Here in France we do get advertising bumpf, some goes straight in the bin but most is worth a quick read as it is special offers from the 2 local supermarkets & hardware shops we tend to use. The option is available to just stick a notice on your letter box and all advertising delivery stops :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I wish we had that option, I spoke to the postie about junk mail and he said that he had to deliver it unless you took out some sort of option not to have it, but that involved a fee of some sort.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

It used to be that junk mail came separately from Royal Mail, but recently I've found envelopes tucked inside junk that I might have missed. I don't know if this is "official" policy now or a bit of cash on the side for the postman. ;)